Official: Thanksgiving Food Thread

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
What you guys having/cooking for Thanksgiving? Thanksgiving is a great day. Eat a ton of food and watch football. Nothing more American than that.

I cook all the food. I let people bring desserts.

My list
Turkey
Ham
Cornbread Dressing
Shrimp and Miriliton Dressing
Mac and Cheese
Oyster Dressing
Oyster Pie
Oyster Patties
Sweet Potato Casserole
Broccoli, Cheese, and Rice
Monkey Bread(Family has made it for 40 years before the stores got a hold of it)

I also buy cranberry because eff making it. I dont like it. Also, buy petite peas. Love those things.

What you guys having/making?

Reactions: DC

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Making a bacon/corn stuffing this year.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Probably be fast food again here (and beer).

Guess Who

Liked Posts:
I'm splitting my turkey in half. Gonna use the backbone for stock and hang the two halves in my Pit Barrel Cooker. Using lump charcoal to cook it hot and fast to get the crispy skin. I'll probably use plum and maple wood for smoke flavor. I'll also inject the turkey with my turkey stock and butter.

Also
Citrus walnut stuffing
Cranberry sauce
Green bean and artichoke casserole
Roasted turnips, parsnips, new potatoes
French baguettes from scratch
Barbecue Shrimp
Sweet potato pie with whipped cream of coconut

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Trying something different based on a turkey I made 6 years ago that came out surprisingly juicy and packed with flavor.

Split the turkey in half, inject it with ghee butter, smoke it over alder for about 5 hours, then tie the bird together, stuff with pre-cooked fresh polish sausage and rice, and finally roast it some more in buttery brine for about 3 hours. This bird is 18lbs, not too big and not too old, so gotta play some of it by ear. Last one with this method was 26lbs and basically went, no leftovers.

It's not so much about how someone makes a turkey, IMO. It's more about trying different things, because if you do it right, everyone will have an appetite for more turkey(non-lunch meat) more than just 1-2 times a year.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am so excited for sweet potatoes.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Port marinated turkey slow roasted.
Ham
Mashed potatoes and gravy
Sweet potatoes
traditional dressing
cranberry sauce
green beans
corn
dinner rolls

Pies, ice cream, whip cream for dessert. Probably pumpkin, pecan, and apple. Considering key lime or cheese cake instead of apple pie though.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tradition in the House of Vu ditches the turkey altogether. My Thanksgiving is the Last BBQ until Spring. Afterwards...my equipment gets stored until April.

I am going for the Carnivore Medley. Smoking up ribs and brisket, slow cooking a pork shoulder for pulled pork and will grill up a healthy amount of BBQ chicken legs and thighs. Will get some corned cobb on the grill too. The wife does a great sweet potato dish that does not involve marshmallows and cornbread.

All other guests attending are required to bring a side and/or desert. It is never a large crowd, but just enough to turn into quite the spread.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Going to a friends small party with wives and a couple of parents. My buddy is doing a turkey (on the grill or smoker, I think). Everyone else is bringing sides. Wife is doing mashed potatoes and either green beans or brussels sprouts. My only job is to bring the wines. And there will be a lot.

DC

Donator
Liked Posts:
Whatcha bringing BFJ?

DC

Donator
Liked Posts:
We do Thanksgiving at our step-in laws. Totally weird but they do a traditional spread. I've brought a bottle of red and white every year the past 10 years and they have never served it. Not even previous years wine. So much good wine wasted.

Maybe I'll just open up my Mt. Veeder Cab Franc (2010) when we get home. Pass out real early.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
We do Thanksgiving at our step-in laws. Totally weird but they do a traditional spread. I've brought a bottle of red and white every year the past 10 years and they have never served it. Not even previous years wine. So much good wine wasted.

Maybe I'll just open up my Mt. Veeder Cab Franc (2010) when we get home. Pass out real early.

[video=youtube;GiznhKTF4hA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiznhKTF4hA[/video]

DC

Donator
Liked Posts:
Good idea.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Whatcha bringing BFJ?

Our friend is a wine geek, too, so I'll take a few things and decide before dinner. We lean heavily toward American wines (American Holiday) so I'm thinking a magnum Pisoni Pinot Noir and either a Ridge or Outpost Zinfandel. I'll bring a Handley Gewurztraminer for those who want white wines. I am taking several half bottles of white dessert wine and my buddy will likely have some port. We'll have some bubbles before, you know, to get things started.

DC

Donator
Liked Posts:
Our friend is a wine geek, too, so I'll take a few things and decide before dinner. We lean heavily toward American wines (American Holiday) so I'm thinking a magnum Pisoni Pinot Noir and either a Ridge or Outpost Zinfandel. I'll bring a Handley Gewurztraminer for those who want white wines. I am taking several half bottles of white dessert wine and my buddy will likely have some port. We'll have some bubbles before, you know, to get things started.

Nice. I got some George Du Buef 2016 Beaujolais and a nice Barolo. I will take them both back home if not opened ala Constanza.