IL HS football game results could be overturned in court days before State Final

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
http://www.theherald-news.com/2016/...-but-plainfield-north-victory-stands/az78n2v/

Did you guys hear about this thing?

Never heard of such a thing. IHSA admits the mistake, but the ruling on the field stands. In a sense, the teams are going to court to decide the winner of an athletic event.

This would set some unstable presidence going forward. On one hand, yes, the refs fucked up, that happens. On the other hand, both teams agree beforehand to honor the ruling by the officials on the field. IDK what I personally want to see happen, but damn this is messed up either way.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Has anything like this ever gone to court before?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Never that I know of. But maybe in 13 years they can replay the game. Reno Hightower and Jack Dundee could set aside some festering issues and return to greatness. Hollywood is already buying the story rights and it will be called "The Best of Times".

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Things have changed. Lose and go home to work on playing better. I blame the parents and not the kids.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Things have changed. Lose and go home to work on playing better. I blame the parents and not the kids.

They scheduled a Cry-In for the team that loses the court decision on Thursday. Puppies will be available for those who need it most.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
There are examples of this happening, just not in Illinois. For reference, the ending of this game played out similar to the Central Michigan-Oklahoma State game.

The officiating crew had a state final game next week, but they were pulled off it.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Has anything like this ever gone to court before?

In 1995, the IHSA suspended the AA Wrestling Finals

The IHSA had penalized Mt. Carmel for competing in five tournaments, one more than the limit. The dispute centers on Mt. Carmel's participation in the Joliet Invitational, in which it entered a junior-varsity unit after its varsity team received an invitation to compete in a tournament in Ohio.

IHSA Executive Director Dave Fry said that would have been unfair to teams that had obeyed the rule, and that stripping a championship trophy from Mt. Carmel (the likely winner) would not restore a chance for the other schools to win it.

By suspending the tournament mere moments after the Illinois Supreme Court declined to issue a stay of the county judge's ruling, the IHSA left itself looking like the kid who takes the ball and goes home when his friends won't play his way. Fry insists that's not true, that the association was instead responding to a threat to its ability to administer high school sports.

Now for this particular game: Fenwick was up 10-7 with :02 left on the clock, and it was 4th down. The Fenwick QB dropped back to pass and threw the ball downfield, with no receivers in the area. The referee threw a flag for intentional grounding, which (and this is important) is the correct call. However, an IG penalty carries a loss of downn, which by rule (It's covered under Rule 3, which deals with timing the game. I'm not sure the exact provision of the rule - I don't have my rule book at work with me - but off the top of my head I believe is 3.3.4) may not extend the game. The referees awarded Plainfield North an untimed down, which they used to kick a field goal to tie. They would win in overtime with a 2-point conversion.

So the game, by rule, should have ended with the intentional grounding. That's the controversy here.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I believe brett is a Plainfield resident. I would love to hear what he has heard regarding this, and what the mood around the town is.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well, since it's a meaningless highschool game, instead of the whole convoluted mess of trying to overturn a call of a game, why not rule that the officiating crew, for screwing up the match and not doing their job, have to stand in for tackling practice and every player on the slighted team gets a shot to smear them.

I mean, you could replay the game with competent officials...but where the fun in not getting out your anger and aggression against the very people that screwed you over? :)

Monster

Liked Posts:
Refs blow it sometimes.
Part of the game.
The Monday night game was bad in that regard.
Was like the Raiders paid them.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Court ruled in favor of the IHSA, Plainfield North plays.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Shouldn't this thread go in the Sports Forum?

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I read E St. Louis is a powerhouse and will crush PN and would have crushed Fenwick as well.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I normally would agree, but this wasn't a blown judgement call but a clear miss on a clearly defined written rule by the officiating crew.

Last edited:

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
In case anyone was curious and too lazy to look it up.

They lost the final.
East St Louis won the 7A Championship over Plainfield North.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought I heard ESL would dominate what ever team they faced.