Do you trust R.Pace to find our next QB?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Hicks and Trevathan are really sold, above average starters.

But that is not what we are talking about.

We are talking about guys you can build around and difference makers. Right now Goldman and Floyd are the only 2 that fit that description.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
People are over-hyping young players on the D because fans have not seen young players do shit for like 5 years on that side of the ball.

I mean like literally fucking nothing from the draft on D going back kinda deep into the JA years. Maybe I am forgetting someone, idk. Are there ANY pre-Pace starters on the D that were drafted by the Bears?

Shit, its almost shocking to see any production at all from rookie defenders. Which is pretty sad.

Last edited:

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
I think you're being a bit harsh here. Hicks is not just a guy, he's a solid starter that can stuff the run and get to the QB. Callahan can play nickle if he stays healthy.

I would agree with your general point that some posters are overhyping the young players we have on D. In Sunday we saw almost all of the young DBs play and they looked bad. If one of Amos, Bush, Hall, HJQ and Fuller turn into a starting DB for us then I'll be pleasantly surprised but I don't see it right now.

I disagree. Hicks is just a guy. I don't know that I'd call him a 'solid' starter. I'd call him a starter. A middle of the road starter. Averages about 40 tackles a season and has 13.5 career sacks in 6 seasons (57) games. That averages out to 3.8 sacks per 16 game season.

That's pretty much a middle of the road starter. Not sure I'd use the term 'solid'. Absolutely not a difference maker in any way shape or form.

da_bears6

Liked Posts:
Having not read the previous 5 pages I can see we are on topic in classic CCS fashion.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
27 and 28 isn't old in the NFL either and 31 and 32 means they have at the very least 2/3 more years on their legs that they can play at the same level they're playing at now.

I know you are the village idiot, but reading is fundamental. The original post said YOUNG talent. 27-28 is not young. It might bot be old, but it's not young. Defensive players trail off considerably as they near 30 - especially ones like McPhee who have injury histories. 32 is very old for a LB. A quick look at stats will show you how badly defensive players (hell, most players) drop off as they age. Especially after 30. And Porter, at 31, has 2-3 more years left?

You may want to look at the ages of starting DBs in the NFL. There are very few starting DBs in the league over the age of 30. Of those who are, most are bad and/or at the tail ends of their careers and are a shadow of their former selves (Newman, Gay, Pacman, Leon Hall, McKelvin) or injured and get cut (Lewis, Browner, etc). Brent Grimes might be the only exception.

There's a reason that most NFL rosters don't feature defensive players over the age of 30. They are slower, often hurt and just not as good at football.

Tracy Porter will be 31 years old. Most 31 year old CBs are out of football. As should he be.

Seriously, make an attempt to think something through before you post. You embarrass yourself regularly.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I know you are the village idiot, but reading is fundamental. The original post said YOUNG talent. 27-28 is not young. It might bot be old, but it's not young. Defensive players trail off considerably as they near 30 - especially ones like McPhee who have injury histories. 32 is very old for a LB. A quick look at stats will show you how badly defensive players (hell, most players) drop off as they age. Especially after 30. And Porter, at 31, has 2-3 more years left?

You may want to look at the ages of starting DBs in the NFL. There are very few starting DBs in the league over the age of 30. Of those who are, most are bad and/or at the tail ends of their careers and are a shadow of their former selves (Newman, Gay, Pacman, Leon Hall, McKelvin) or injured and get cut (Lewis, Browner, etc). Brent Grimes might be the only exception.

There's a reason that most NFL rosters don't feature defensive players over the age of 30. They are slower, often hurt and just not as good at football.

Tracy Porter will be 31 years old. Most 31 year old CBs are out of football. As should he be.

Seriously, make an attempt to think something through before you post. You embarrass yourself regularly.

I simply letting you know that 27 and 28 is not old and anyone that age is in their prime so calm down little girl...lol

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I simply letting you know that 27 and 28 is not old and anyone that age is in their prime so calm down little girl...lol

Little girl! Damn! Snap! Burned! Will he ever recover?

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:

Anyone that age is in their prime? Anyone? You really want to stick with that logic? Now, if you used your cerebral cortex and said 'some players' are in their prime at 27/28, I might agree. But anyone?

Remember, this all started because a poster talked about YOUNG talent. 28 in the NFL on the defensive side of the ball is not considered young. 31 is not young. 32 is not young.

The reality is that 28 is getting darn close the age where most defensive players start seeing their NFL value decline - injuries rack up, speed declines, etc. I would call players in the 23-24 range 'young'.

We'll make this simple - do you want a defensive roster of players aged 28 and older?

Seriously man, how do you get through life without a sub-50 IQ? Are you Brick Tamlan?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Anyone that age is in their prime? Anyone? You really want to stick with that logic? Now, if you used your cerebral cortex and said 'some players' are in their prime at 27/28, I might agree. But anyone?

Remember, this all started because a poster talked about YOUNG talent. 28 in the NFL on the defensive side of the ball is not considered young. 31 is not young. 32 is not young.

The reality is that 28 is getting darn close the age where most defensive players start seeing their NFL value decline - injuries rack up, speed declines, etc. I would call players in the 23-24 range 'young'.

We'll make this simple - do you want a defensive roster of players aged 28 and older?

Seriously man, how do you get through life without a sub-50 IQ? Are you Brick Tamlan?

A committee staff of helpers.

I think 26 is your prime. There is a reason that the union fought for 4 years deal and 5 years in round 1. They want guys to get their 2nd contracts in their primes (25-26) and not once they are beat up.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
A committee staff of helpers.

I think 26 is your prime. There is a reason that the union fought for 4 years deal and 5 years in round 1. They want guys to get their 2nd contracts in their primes (25-26) and not once they are beat up.

Yeah i could agree that 26 is more of a in prime age for football players but 27 and 28 is in no way old for these athletes. A 27 year old player still has 3/4 years of his best football in him which means anyone we have at that age under contract now won't be under contract with us when he is actually at a age that becomes old for a football player. So i'm in now way concerned with anyone we have that's 27/28 years old not being able to produce for the contract we have them under.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I don't always agree with you, but I think you nailed it on this one. If Pace goes with a Garropollo, Hoyer, or Barcklay, and the team still flounders next year, he is done. If he goes with a 1st round draft pick, I think it buys him a year or two. Can you imagine a nightmare with Garropollo like the Texans have with Oswieller?

IMO Garropollo doesn't have the resume to merit coming here.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
To the OP, I don't have faith in him.

I hope Hoyer, Shaw, and Barkley are all in camp to compete with 1 or 2 draft picks, a free agent at value for a second chance, and another UFA.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I expect him to force the issue on a bust 1st rounder given his history and the cards dealt in front of him.

Trubiskey, Watson, and Falk probably all bust. The Bears have been letting exteme need develop and then drafting into it and forcing that player into a hole for 12 years. It looks like we are set up for the same.

Fuck.

HansGruber

INFIDEL
Liked Posts:
Watson is the guy we should take,everytime I sit and try to pick his game apart he wow's me with his accuracy and athleticism.

Kid is a winner

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
I expect him to force the issue on a bust 1st rounder given his history and the cards dealt in front of him.

Trubiskey, Watson, and Falk probably all bust. The Bears have been letting exteme need develop and then drafting into it and forcing that player into a hole for 12 years. It looks like we are set up for the same.

Fuck.
Props are due. You even turned out to be right about Watson, eventually, and not for reasons anyone predicted.