chibears55

Liked Posts:
I got that one right...
I like the signing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

oober

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Too many strikeouts for someone with no power and a poor OBP. Not a fan.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Another ex Card. But hey, we rolled around in their stench last year and look what happened. Even though they were possibly the worst players of their positions haha

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Curious what the payroll budget is to go this route. Assuming he platoons with Almora?

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
What about sending Almora back to AAA to work on that swing some more? He's only 22. I've seen this a few places didn't know how likely that was? Also, this feels like the other shoe has yet to drop. No way Soler stays with the roster the way it's set up now.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
I went to Baseball Reference to look at Jay's numbers. In their Similarity Scores section they compared him to Frenchy Bordagaray which made me feel better

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Jay missed nearly two months of the 2016 season with a broken forearm that was sustained when he was hit by a pitch, but he was productive when he was healthy enough to take the field. The longtime Cardinals center fielder batted .291/.339/.389 with a pair of homers and 26 doubles in 374 trips to the plate. Jay was leading the National League with 24 doubles at the time he sustained his injury, batting .296/.345/.407 to that point in the season, but he tallied just three extra-base hits over his final 84 plate appearances upon returning from the disabled list.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
If you take out the year he was hurt last year, he was one of the top defensive centerfielders in the league. He also ranked in the top 3 out of the two hole, which likely means he is better with protection behind him. So if he bats leadoff with KB behind he may be able to repeat those numbers as leadoff hitter.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
His main lacking is his arm. They will run on him for sure.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
What about sending Almora back to AAA to work on that swing some more? He's only 22. I've seen this a few places didn't know how likely that was? Also, this feels like the other shoe has yet to drop. No way Soler stays with the roster the way it's set up now.

Almora is better offensively than Jon Jay.

As a Cards fan said, Jay will hit the quietest .285 you will ever see.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
If you take out the year he was hurt last year, he was one of the top defensive centerfielders in the league. He also ranked in the top 3 out of the two hole, which likely means he is better with protection behind him. So if he bats leadoff with KB behind he may be able to repeat those numbers as leadoff hitter.

He is just not that good. Don't get your hopes too high.

If he plays ahead of AA, it's a bad thing.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
one year 8 million dollars. I hope Fowler does not come crawling back now.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Almora is better offensively than Jon Jay.

As a Cards fan said, Jay will hit the quietest .285 you will ever see.

He should end up being better in the future. But as of today he isn't better. This is about protecting the team if Almora doesn't take that next step.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Well that about shuts the door on Fowler. Jay came here on essentially a decent pillow deal to try and do to his value that Fowler did to his. I'm not the biggest fan of the move as I wish Jay was a better hitter to bat higher in the order (leadoff) and wish he had a platoon advantage but he'll do fine. Tend to believe Almora, without a Soler trade, is going to start the year in AAA and work on some things. There simply isn't a point in having Almora around the major league team to get 10 PA a week. This also tells me that the idea Zobrist will play a lot in the OF is highly unlikely. I think Jay is here to bat against lefties because he actually has a decent split that way (at least decent enough to bat 8th, play a good defensive CF).

V righties
Zobrist - 2B
Schwarber - LF
Bryant - 3B
Rizzo - 1B
Russell - SS
Heyward - RF
Contreras - C
Jay - CF

V lefties
Zobrist - 2B
Bryant - RF
Rizzo - 1B
Soler - LF
Russell - SS
Contreras - C
Baez - 3B
Jay - CF

Still unsure what he does for a leadoff guy when Zobrist sits. Tend to believe righties will be the more obvious time to sit Ben since he's a better hitter from the leftside so maybe Schwarber there? Jay? Could probably sneak Jay into the leadoff spot and someone like Baez in to the lineup.