Cubs Sign Jon Jay

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Well that about shuts the door on Fowler. Jay came here on essentially a decent pillow deal to try and do to his value that Fowler did to his. I'm not the biggest fan of the move as I wish Jay was a better hitter to bat higher in the order (leadoff) and wish he had a platoon advantage but he'll do fine. Tend to believe Almora, without a Soler trade, is going to start the year in AAA and work on some things. There simply isn't a point in having Almora around the major league team to get 10 PA a week. This also tells me that the idea Zobrist will play a lot in the OF is highly unlikely. I think Jay is here to bat against lefties because he actually has a decent split that way (at least decent enough to bat 8th, play a good defensive CF).

V righties
Zobrist - 2B
Schwarber - LF
Bryant - 3B
Rizzo - 1B
Russell - SS
Heyward - RF
Contreras - C
Jay - CF

V lefties
Zobrist - 2B
Bryant - RF
Rizzo - 1B
Soler - LF
Russell - SS
Contreras - C
Baez - 3B
Jay - CF

Still unsure what he does for a leadoff guy when Zobrist sits. Tend to believe righties will be the more obvious time to sit Ben since he's a better hitter from the leftside so maybe Schwarber there? Jay? Could probably sneak Jay into the leadoff spot and someone like Baez in to the lineup.

I think this foreshadows a Soler trade and that Almora will receive plenty of playing time, not a stint in AAA. They were talking on MLB radio this morning that there is feeling among the national media that the Cubs are close to a deal for pitching but no one is sure what that deal is. I think this was a precursor to it. If you're looking for your leadoff man on days Zobrist sits I think that's Heyward if he can turn things around.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Tough to be upset with this move. I mean, it's a one year deal at $8M. I read an article about how we could have pursued other options -- such as trading for a guy like Charlie Blackmon. But that would require giving up more prospects and I think we all agree we need to save our bullets for pitching.

Jay is a buy-low guy who should be able to bounce back. He had five good years in a row, after all. But if he doesn't -- we can move on after the year. He has the ability to play all three OF spots, which gives Maddon the flexibility he needs.

I don't see how any one could be upset with this move? It's costing us hardly anything.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Too many strikeouts for someone with no power and a poor OBP. Not a fan.

Huh? He has a career 16.3% k rate and his OBP is .352. League average is 20.6% and .326 for non pitchers. I suppose you could argue he had a down 2016 but 20.9% is league average and .339 is above league average by a fair margin. His slugging is .389 and .384 last year and on his career. League average on that is .425. So, he's below average there but it's not massive.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I think this foreshadows a Soler trade and that Almora will receive plenty of playing time, not a stint in AAA. They were talking on MLB radio this morning that there is feeling among the national media that the Cubs are close to a deal for pitching but no one is sure what that deal is. I think this was a precursor to it. If you're looking for your leadoff man on days Zobrist sits I think that's Heyward if he can turn things around.

Not sure I'd call this a precursor but I get what you're going for. Soler doesn't fit with their current group. I'd also argue it's going to be difficult to put Szczur on this roster too.

That being said if the rumors in the media are accurate that's fairly interesting.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I still doubt Theo moves Soler this year unless its 1 for 1 for a controlled starter type. No throw ins. Theo is just too close with Soler and his firsts as first international signing and Almora his first cub draft pick.

I am the only guy that remembers that Schwarber got hurt playing the outfield, so I still see 50 games we need a left fielder and I highly doubt that if Heywards slump continues that he would not be sat more. This is just another case of if Heywards D is that important then why do you sign another center fielder? The Brewers just dumped the co leader in home runs in the national league because they would have to pay him 9-10 million in arbitration and he only hit .222 and led the league in K's.

The whole deal is where does Zobrist play and I dont think Theo will have much trouble biding time waiting for the playoffs as Ben gets older. I have the feeling if Ben were to be traded in the 4th year he might just retire.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Tough to be upset with this move. I mean, it's a one year deal at $8M. I read an article about how we could have pursued other options -- such as trading for a guy like Charlie Blackmon. But that would require giving up more prospects and I think we all agree we need to save our bullets for pitching.

Jay is a buy-low guy who should be able to bounce back. He had five good years in a row, after all. But if he doesn't -- we can move on after the year. He has the ability to play all three OF spots, which gives Maddon the flexibility he needs.

I don't see how any one could be upset with this move? It's costing us hardly anything.

Flexibility? Soler, Schwarber, Sczcur, Almora, Heyward, Zobrist, Bryant. Even removing Soler and adding Jay you are still in a position to play each guy 3 innings a game.

I do not doubt that one of the first lineups we will see will have Jay somewhere else than center field.

Yeah, I know the Fowler thing worked out last year, but Almora and Sczcur earned spots on the roster.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
I still doubt Theo moves Soler this year unless its 1 for 1 for a controlled starter type. No throw ins.
Have you lost your mind? Do you really think Soler will yield a controlled starter straight up?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I predict. ..
Jon Jay will start opening day in CF and Almora will get bulk of his starting PT facing lefties in 2017.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Have you lost your mind? Do you really think Soler will yield a controlled starter straight up?

I didnt say it would be a good one did I?

Theo is making sure people know he wants Soler to reach his potential, but honestly, if Heyward blows for 2 more years its only his option to go out and get another deal.

People want kids to fill this lineup, then you start blocking them to get rid of them. What is the point?

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

Theo is making sure people know he wants Soler to reach his potential, but honestly, if Heyward blows for 2 more years its only his option to go out and get another deal.

People want kids to fill this lineup, then you start blocking them to get rid of them. What is the point?

I would be beyond shock if Heyward sucks for 2 more years. I'll be pretty shocked if he doesn't get right back to his career numbers or above in 2017. He's got too much talent and is too much of a hard worker and character guy for that. He'll get that swing fixed.

czman

Liked Posts:
Don't like this move all that much. I probably like Szczur more than most. I think he can be a 280/340/430 guy with 12-15 HR power and could probably leadoff. I honestly feel Szczur gives you about what Fowler did. I think their bats are very similar and their defensives are both below average in CF. I hope Almora starts in AAA with Szczur and Jay splitting time equally and then go with the hot hand. I don't think that will happen.

I just hope they don't punt Szczur for a bag of balls.

Lastly, Jay will be 32 at the beginning of the season so I wonder if he just started his slide to a injury prone below average player.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets

The Cubs are chock full of kids filling the line up so that's not the issue. Soler's issue is not being blocked but not being a quality player. Bad defense that needs to be replaced in the 7th inning. Below average BA for major leaguers. Questionable work ethic as he jogs after balls he misses. Questionable strike zone that may not be fixable.

Unfortunatley, this isn't the Reds where he can "work it out". No time for that and the Cubs will have better alternatives

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I would be beyond shock if Heyward sucks for 2 more years. I'll be pretty shocked if he doesn't get right back to his career numbers or above in 2017. He's got too much talent and is too much of a hard worker and character guy for that. He'll get that swing fixed.

I dont expect him to suck two more years, but next year is iffy and 2018 is money year so he turns it back on and someone might make him think he can get more than the 182 deal, which is what his plan was. But thats pretty much what I thought of Fowler, big years when he is able to go out job hunting. Pretty much what Heyward did in St Louis in 2015. Just might be a trend. When Fowler is locked up longer or under control he seemed to lose focus. We can look at Lester in 2015 not really living up to his contract and then finding it last year. (it would be nice if he could throw to bases though).

I just dont think people give enough to the mental part of Heyward getting hit in the face, and wearing the helmet like it is really makes it more if a reminder every at bat.

Its a one year deal for Jay, so maybe they think they can keep Sczcur on the 25 man with Almora, but I dont think so when they will want to carry one or two more pitchers than the WS roster. The other guy that can slip thru the cracks this year is Christian Villanueva, a great glove we have. Rule V is next week Thursday, so its tough to be filling up the 40 man now instead of keeping some spots for protection.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Don't like this move all that much. I probably like Szczur more than most. I think he can be a 280/340/430 guy with 12-15 HR power and could probably leadoff. I honestly feel Szczur gives you about what Fowler did. I think their bats are very similar and their defensives are both below average in CF. I hope Almora starts in AAA with Szczur and Jay splitting time equally and then go with the hot hand. I don't think that will happen.

I just hope they don't punt Szczur for a bag of balls.

Lastly, Jay will be 32 at the beginning of the season so I wonder if he just started his slide to a injury prone below average player.

Breaking your arm has nothing to do with age.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Not sure what exactly some of you dont like about signing Jay..

Guy a career .287 hitter .352 OBP and .737 OPS..

He is currently the best percentage wise defensive outfielder in the majors...
.995 8 errors in over 1600 chances

He was the everyday CFer (157 GP) for a WS championship team 3 yrs ago..Cardinals

Im not saying he gonna make us forget about Fowler. .

I just think if Almora is the guy their hoping to eventually take over CF..
Signing a guy like Jay to a 1 yr deal who a good bat and solid defensive CFer..
Will allow them to slowly work Almora into the lineup and also give him someone solid to learn more about playing CF from..

Not sure who you all were hoping for
But
This 1 yr deal also gives them money flexibility to go after pitching both relievers/closer and SP ..

Plus

They didn't need to dip into their prospect pool to add a needed piece..

So besides saving money for this year and next (1 yr deal), they also still have their bullets in the system to use for pitching trades..

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Hoyer pretty much said playing time in CF will be based off of productivity vs a platoon.

So if Almora is scuffling expect him on the bench more.

All things equal. They are basically the same player except Almora has a stronger arm. Both are doubles hitters. Jay walks more. So you add more arm one guy. More OBA with the other.

So at the end of the day, if one guy is producing more of Han the other he will get the lion share until he cools off. Then the other will see more time until one takes off again.

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
I predict. ..
Jon Jay will start opening day in CF and Almora will get bulk of his starting PT facing lefties in 2017.

Will that be beneficial? I almost want him to start out in AAA to get consistent at bats to continue to get better at the plate. What are your thoughts?

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I just want to see a real competition for the job next year, and yes, that includes Heyward in the mix in center and Soler in the mix for right.