Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
In a circumstance that's likely not going to be seen again anytime soon. This was one of the worst rules in sports. Glad it's gone.

Glad it's gone too.

But we got Schwarber for 4 games instead of 3. haha

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I honestly think it benefitted the cubs last year, might not have won the world series with home field. one more game for a goat or bartman to show up.

I was expecting though that the DH might be added to the world series in both league parks.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
I liked that it finally gave meaning to the All Star game

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I liked that it finally gave meaning to the All Star game
The All-Star Game is an exhibition game and should never be considered anything more than a reward for the players as individuals. All position players should see game action during the ASG and with the game actually mattering, that wasn't happening. They need to change the ASG rules to allow for re-entry of position players in case of extra innings.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
The All-Star Game is an exhibition game and should never be considered anything more than a reward for the players as individuals. All position players should see game action during the ASG and with the game actually mattering, that wasn't happening. They need to change the ASG rules to allow for re-entry of position players in case of extra innings.
Who says all postion players should see action. That's not how the game started and how it was for 50 years. The game used to have meaning and no longer does with this change

CSF77

Liked Posts:
All star game was just that. A show. Just like the Derby and the old timers game. Gives teams a break and is a show for fans.

Players should have the right to decline to play if they need to recover vs losing a advantage come play offs by not competing.

But there was a bit on how the Cubs may have not won if they held the home field. Something like both the Cubs and the Indians are young and had huge pressure over their heads in this series. Playing in front of their fans just added to it. That is why the road team held the advantage.

It really wasn't about Schwarber. The team got to where they were with out him while coming from adversary each series. The last series held more pressure to win with the 108 years over the fans. Indians had the same issue going on also but not as glamorized.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Who says all postion players should see action. That's not how the game started and how it was for 50 years. The game used to have meaning and no longer does with this change

The game never had meaning except in the sense that maybe players and fans in an earlier era enjoyed it more. Times change, people like higher stakes and ignore all star games in all sports. The thing is artificially creating higher stakes was an absurd overreaction to an incident that was assumed to hurt its relevancy. The reality though is that it had long lost any sort of real standing in the eyes of the baseball fan.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
All star game was just that. A show. Just like the Derby and the old timers game. Gives teams a break and is a show for fans.

Players should have the right to decline to play if they need to recover vs losing a advantage come play offs by not competing.

But there was a bit on how the Cubs may have not won if they held the home field. Something like both the Cubs and the Indians are young and had huge pressure over their heads in this series. Playing in front of their fans just added to it. That is why the road team held the advantage.

It really wasn't about Schwarber. The team got to where they were with out him while coming from adversary each series. The last series held more pressure to win with the 108 years over the fans. Indians had the same issue going on also but not as glamorized.

The Cubs young players never once felt like a team tied to past failures, and at no time did they even make reference to goats or curses.

If someone wrote about the pressure, they're just reverting to the same old canned story that did not apply. Lazy reporting. Cliche.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
So many fans kept screaming about not having home field because of ASG. For them it will be so satisfying now that it is decided by something meaningful, like the last digit of the year on the calendar.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
The game never had meaning except in the sense that maybe players and fans in an earlier era enjoyed it more. Times change, people like higher stakes and ignore all star games in all sports. The thing is artificially creating higher stakes was an absurd overreaction to an incident that was assumed to hurt its relevancy. The reality though is that it had long lost any sort of real standing in the eyes of the baseball fan.
From the beginning till about 1975 the game had plenty of meaning. Players played for pride and tried hard. Managers managed strategically and many players on the roster didnt play. Only recently that has been compromised

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I like the change....It's a step in the right direction to have homefield go to the team that has the best record of WS competitors. Not perfect but better.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Another Bud Selig fiasco dies....no other major sport dictates home field by the out come of an exhibition game where the managers are more concerned with getting everyone an inning or two than actually winning a game. It's been ridiculous from day one.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
And a team's record in one league has anything to do with the record of the team in the other league? Meaningless metric

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I like the change....It's a step in the right direction to have homefield go to the team that has the best record of WS competitors. Not perfect but better.

What would you consider perfect?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Another Bud Selig fiasco dies....no other major sport dictates home field by the out come of an exhibition game where the managers are more concerned with getting everyone an inning or two than actually winning a game. It's been ridiculous from day one.

Well, it was an attempt to make the game more meaningful. Oddly, it was less interesting recently than ever before. As Ommy pointed out, the players seemed to play more for pride years ago. I also think that before players jumped teams constantly, they were more competitive with opponents, vs. the more recent "everybody's a buddy" feeling.

That lunatic Gibson took it to the extreme of not speaking to his NL teammates unless they were Cardinals.

It's better to use the records, but that was avoided in years past due to unbalanced schedules. But it's the best option at least, so it's good that they're using this.

I posted earlier about being based on year and how silly that was, and several people pointed out that's no longer the case. I know that. My point was it was always funny to see so many upset over the ASG game being the deciding factor when PRIOR to that decision, it was. Fans acted like Selig stopped using the records to determine home filed, when that had never been the basis.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

What did Selig do that was a fiasco? It went from being based on nothing related to results, to being based on ASG in an attempt to save the thing. It hasn't worked, and the ASG has simply become a silly expedition with the ridiculous HR derby. ASG in MLB was once good, as opposed to the other three sports. Now all 4suck.