Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
For a time Nagurski was regarded as the best player in the league regardless of position. Gallimore was more of a spot player, and Feathers didn't have any longevity. Casares was probably most like Forte...a reliable workhorse. Here would be my list

1) Payton
2) Nagurski
3) Sayers
4) Forte
5) Casares

Left off is George McAfee, a Bears RB from the 1940's who somehow made the HOF.

[video=youtube;3oPX8RO6rik]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oPX8RO6rik[/video]

What about the galloping ghost?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, for all his stats he didn't really have 'name recognition'. I honestly didn't think he'd get in at all. Bettis got in, and he was another borderline choice, but at least Bettis had a couple big years, was productive in the postseason, and racked up a big amount of 100-yard games. Martin was the guy who'd get 60-80 yards a game every game for 10 years.

Martin ended his career on a high note which helped.....he had the best year of his career the year before he retired. That probably put him over the top.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Forte closing in on 10,000 rushing and 5,000 yards receiving - that's some rare air. Only 11 backs in NFL history have over 5,000 yards receiving. If he were to break the 15,000 total yards mark (which he should next year), he would be one of 20 players to do that. If he were to have 2-3 more years at a reasonably productive pace, he could really establish himself among the most productive players of all time.

16,300 would get him into the Top 10 in yards all time, and that is definitely reachable for him.

Receiving yards don't equal rushing yards. Also Forte had little production in way of rushing TDs which does not help either.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Forte was also the sole focus of every defense he played against except for the time Marshall was here, and even then the offense largely went through him. He did everything and was the ultimate utility player, and had to be used that way because he was not just the best player on his team but often the only good player on the offense, so it's a good thing that was so versatile and able to handle all that. Would have been interesting to see how he'd have done on a good offense that commanded attention all over the field.

Still, it is what it is and he probably is a Hall of Very Good, because he surely isn't getting a championship to add to his highly impressive production resume unless the Patriots get injuries and trade for him or something.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, for all his stats he didn't really have 'name recognition'. I honestly didn't think he'd get in at all. Bettis got in, and he was another borderline choice, but at least Bettis had a couple big years, was productive in the postseason, and racked up a big amount of 100-yard games. Martin was the guy who'd get 60-80 yards a game every game for 10 years.

I think you're underselling Martin a little bit here. He had 57 career 100 yard games. He had 71 games with 90+ yards rushing. He only had 46 games with 60-89 yards rushing.

Martin I guess compares most favorably to Forte but even still 5X PB and 1 xAP and finished with 14,000 yards rushing is kind of tough to keep out of Canton. Bettis to me was less borderline than Martin and even Martin, though he wasn't flashy, wasn't really a borderline choice for me..he was just kind of boring.

Last edited:

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Scrubs in retrospect, but at the time Angelo was pouring relatively big money into that #2RB spot...Chester Taylor, Michael Bush, Marion Barber. All those guys were supposed to 'spell' Forte and also be the effective short-yardage back, yet they all had worse short-yardage success rates than Forte.

I agree. All those aging backs were backups to begin with and never heard from again after receiving Angelo's big money. Forte was exactly what the Bears needed and was easily the best player on offense for years. Im just saying, that isn't saying much.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
Nice NFL player. Versatile. Great guy

But he's an NFL rb on the wrong side of 30 who has had a lot of injuries (leg injuries). A matter of time before that production drops off dramatically. Have to get younger

With the current shit state of the roster and the state of this 'rebuild', the Bears aren't going to be making any waves while Forte is a solid NFL contributor so might as well get younger.

His receiving ability is missed greatly

But, he too is on a shit team. Surprised he went the Jets route and not a real contender. He would have been a killer weapon in Seattle, NE, NYG, Washington or KC. Could see him being a big help to a young QB ala Denver, Philly or Oakland.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think a good modern day comparison to Forte is Curtis Martin......he was an iron man in that he didn't miss games very often and he was somewhat of a dual threat. Forte has put more yards in catching passes than running in comparison and that is important......

Running Backs are not lauded in the hall of fame for being a dump off option...they are heralded for running.

Martin, currently, has played two more years than Forte and has nearly twice as many rushing TDs. Averages more than 10 yards more rushing per game.

If Forte had produced more on the ground than in the air you may be able to make a case, but looking at his rushing yards as the main indicator....no.

Also, if Forte was part of some playoff teams and had good performances in the playoffs you could also make the potential case, but nothing there either.....

Forte will have to be in the Hall of the Very Good

Forte will have a weird Adrian Peterson effect. Now...Adrian may come back again and make it untouchable, but if Forte keeps creeping and creeping and plays 3 more years than Peterson plus 2 more years in games not missed, he might end up catching the "back of the era" in AP in yards. If that were to happen, the case against Forte who has more receptions, more receiving yards, less fumbles, and more touches than Peterson all in landslides, then there you go. TD's and yards per carry may keep him out.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Pretty good read if your wanting a little nostalgia, and tired of thinking about how bad we are. It's insane the level that he goes to keep his body in shape. Obviously he's doing something right, on pace for almost 300 carries and 1100 yards and he's 31.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-j...father-time-by-eating-healthy-weird-and-green

One of my top ten favorite Chicago Bears of all time. Is making a real case for the HOF because of his continued great production. NO doubt that he can realistically be expected to go on for at least two maybe three more years:)

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Rushing | Receiving | Touches
............G Att Yds TD Y/A Lng |Rec Yds TD Y/R Lng |Att Yds Y/A
Forte - 131 2237 9361 52 4.2 68 |513 4318 20 8.4 89 |2750 13679 4.97
Peterson - 122 2412 11725 97 4.9 82 |240 1944 5 8.1 63 |2652 13669 5.15

Was bored so I went to compare Forte's numbers to Peterson's numbers. Forte is the top and Peterson is the bottom. Overall if you add in the receiving, Peterson only averaged about .18 yards more than Forte per touch. I'd take that type of production for another 10 years. Hopefully Howard can provide us the same type of output.

So looking ahead, are both Peterson and Forte HOF worthy, only Peterson?

Peterson is a lock for the HOF because of his dominance in the running game during his "prime" if you will. Forte, I think, will need two more pretty productive years and I think that he is pretty much a workout physical work-out freak and may indeed surpass Peterson's over-all career numbers. IF he does that, it would be almost impossible not to vote for him for the HOF.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Should have let Forte retire a Bear. He was cheaper to sign than we all thought and it would have been great to retain some leadership through these troubling times. Much happier with Howard's potential ceiling though don't get me wrong.

The problem that I have with what happened is that the BEars made their decision to release Forte because they expect for Langford and their Running back by committee approach. They were just very LUCKY because their 3rd string running back finally got a chance to shine via injury.

Look, it worked out well for both Howard and Forte. Forte went to a place in which he was very productive and continued his march to HOF potential. Howard got a chance to be the next quality Bears running back and became one of a very few bright spots in a dismal season.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Howard is a good back but he is slow. He has no speed.

He's fast enough for a big back. I just hope that they get a couple of OTs who are worth a crap, unlike the two slugs that they presently have.

You know, Walter was not the fastest back in his career and other great backs were not either. I am not saying that Howard is anywhere near Walter, but he is their best draft pick in Pace's two draft years in my opinion.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I love da Matt "don't call me fort, or forty for that matter" Forte.

cbo0485

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Peterson is a lock for the HOF because of his dominance in the running game during his "prime" if you will. Forte, I think, will need two more pretty productive years and I think that he is pretty much a workout physical work-out freak and may indeed surpass Peterson's over-all career numbers. IF he does that, it would be almost impossible not to vote for him for the HOF.
Exactly. I don't think he makes hall of fame the same way Peterson would. He makes it more due to his consistency, longevity, and his productivity. If he keeps this up for 2 or 3 more years, he'll be hard to ignore for hof talk.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk