Is Jimmy Butler a top-10 player?

danchi23

Liked Posts:
I would argue that he is a top ten here and there but constantly hes not there all game imo. A top ten player has the ability to chance the game when it matters. Hes up there and i love him but top 15 is far more in range where hes at now.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
He played at that level for a while...but he isn't top 10. I don't even think he can be the number 1 guy on a championship team skillwise, like say....Cousins could be. But I think he could be the 2nd guy.

AussieBear

He played at that level for a while...but he isn't top 10. I don't even think he can be the number 1 guy on a championship team skillwise, like say....Cousins could be. But I think he could be the 2nd guy.

cousins is a stat whore worrying about a max contract...

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:

where have you been man?

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Jimmy has cooled off a little in December and it is likely due to his poor shooting from 3 - He went from shooting 36% in November to 21% in December.

I expect that to correct itself into the 33-34% which is what he would normally shoot.

I think he ends the season with a stat line like 23-6-4 with 44% FG% and 33% 3FG%.

I think my revised list with some more thought would be in this order -

1. Lebron James
2. Kevin Durant
3. Russell Westbrook
4. Stephen Curry
5. Anthony Davis
6. Kawhi Leonard
7. James Harden
8. Demarcus Cousins - -Not taking into account his off-court shenanigans
9. Damian Lillard
10. Greek Freak
11. Paul George
12. Klay Thompson
13. Jimmy Butler

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
You have him above Chris Paul, Gordon Hayward, and John Wall?

To be fair, I have no ranking for him. When he's playing two-way basketball, IMO, he's about 8-ish for me. When he's playing hoiball, he's maybe in the 20-30 range. Right now, Butler is using the Corey Maggette offensive schema, so all he does it get bruised up and plays sloppy defense because of it. Helps his stats, sure, but doesn't help the team, and when the team struggles, confidence is low, which means star players get pressured into bigger loads... it's just a viscous cycle.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You have him above Chris Paul, Gordon Hayward, and John Wall?

To be fair, I have no ranking for him. When he's playing two-way basketball, IMO, he's about 8-ish for me. When he's playing hoiball, he's maybe in the 20-30 range. Right now, Butler is using the Corey Maggette offensive schema, so all he does it get bruised up and plays sloppy defense because of it. Helps his stats, sure, but doesn't help the team, and when the team struggles, confidence is low, which means star players get pressured into bigger loads... it's just a viscous cycle.
The Maggette comparison is scarily accurate. Waste of his talents.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
No..too inconsistent

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
Well there you go, he just took over a quarter offensively and defensively to win a game despite an ankle injury. It's not his fault that everyone minus a past prime Wade is bad to horrible offensively.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hoiberg can't coach. Period. The End!

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
James. Cle
Durant. Gs
Curry. Gs
Westbrook. Okc
Leonard. Sa
Harden. Hou
Paul. Lac
Lillard. Por
Davis. No
Aldridge. Sa
Griffin. Lac
Wall. Was
Irving. Cle
Cousins. Sac
George. In
DeRozan. Tor
Lowry. Tor
Thompson. Gs
Butler. Chi
Antetokounmpo. Mil
Walker. Cha

Love. Cle
Millsap. Atl
Bledsoe. Pho
Thomas. Bos
Anthony. Ny
Hayward. Ut
Horford. Bos
Gasol. Mem
McCollum. Por

He seems like he's in that mesh of interchangeable perimeter players emboldened in the 15-20ish range.

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
1) James
2) Durant
3) Curry
4) Westbrook
5) Harden
6) Davis
7) Paul
8) Aldridge
9) Cousins

I think after that group it gets muddier, and open to argument. the next group is clearly secodn tier, a few are in conversation to move to top 10.

10) Thompson
11) Greek Freek
12) Butler
13) Irving
14) Lillard
15) George
16) Anthony
17) Wade
18) Hayward
19) Derozan
20) Lowry

After the top 20, their is a large group of men who can put themselves in the conversation for 20-50 status and its quite murky, debatable, and confusing. Hayward, Wade, and Anthony are first out of top 20 to make way for newcomers as their upside is behind them.

And Wade is only this player when he is fresh and wants to be these days, picks his spots, but you can see he is still there at times.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
1) James
2) Durant
3) Curry
4) Westbrook
5) Harden
6) Davis
7) Paul
8) Aldridge
9) Cousins

I think after that group it gets muddier, and open to argument. the next group is clearly secodn tier, a few are in conversation to move to top 10.

10) Thompson
11) Greek Freek
12) Butler
13) Irving
14) Lillard
15) George
16) Anthony
17) Wade
18) Hayward
19) Derozan
20) Lowry

After the top 20, their is a large group of men who can put themselves in the conversation for 20-50 status and its quite murky, debatable, and confusing. Hayward, Wade, and Anthony are first out of top 20 to make way for newcomers as their upside is behind them.

And Wade is only this player when he is fresh and wants to be these days, picks his spots, but you can see he is still there at times.

I wouldn't even put Wade in the top 30.

And you forgot Leonard, Griffin, and Wall. Or at least I hope you did.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
this hornets game tonight has been the definition of a carry. The rest of the team is so fucking inept offensively. Jimmy basically won that by himself.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Yeah, crazy good game by Buckets.