Is Jimmy Butler a top-10 player?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Why is no one talking about the Greek freak. Guy is the Bucks and they are actually a playoff team right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are talking about him. But as a Pelicans fan on a Bulls forum, it's not like you're going to notice a massive bit or recognition here.

Jabari was supposed to be LeBron 2, and look, Antetokounmpo is taking the spotlight instead. The Bucks are a dark horse.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
I think that the Bulls not having Jimmy for 3 games(counting the one he tried to play but was to sick) proves he's a top 10 player. The team is dreadful. Without him they would have the worst record in the league

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think that the Bulls not having Jimmy for 3 games(counting the one he tried to play but was to sick) proves he's a top 10 player. The team is dreadful. Without him they would have the worst record in the league
Nah, the Nets would still be worse.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
They are talking about him. But as a Pelicans fan on a Bulls forum, it's not like you're going to notice a massive bit or recognition here.

Jabari was supposed to be LeBron 2, and look, Antetokounmpo is taking the spotlight instead. The Bucks are a dark horse.

Dont be sassy. Im a NBA fan. Pels just come on my tv. lol

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Breakdown -

The guys definitely better than Jimmy right now -

Lebron James
Kevin Durant
Stephen Curry
Russell Westbrook
Kawhi Leonard
Anthony Davis
Damian Lillard
Demarcus Cousins
James Harden
Giannis Antenekounpo

That's already 10 guys.

Players in the same conversation as Jimmy -

Paul George
John Wall
Demar Derozan
Isaiah Thomas (he has been amazing)
Klay Thompson
Kemba Walker
Chris Paul
Kyrie Irving
Karl Anthony Towns
Lamarcus Aldridge

From my point of view - I would take Jimmy over any of those PG's. A quality, two way wing player who has shown he can probably be a 1b type option on a championship team is going to beat a PG in my eyes. The point guard position is deep.

Out of those guys, I don't see a player who can carry a team like Jimmy has so far this season.

Give me Jimmy at 11.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
That's disgusting

IeJulPl.gif

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
If you look at the Nets and Bulls roster though...Brook Lopez would be the best player after Jimmy.

Benchmob757

Liked Posts:
I can't say Jimmy is better than Kyrie Irving...not yet anyway...

Kyrie is one of my favorite players, but I think when you take defense into account, Jimmy edges him out slightly.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kyrie is one of my favorite players, but I think when you take defense into account, Jimmy edges him out slightly.

Kyrie can play defense when he wants to. It may not be lock down like Butler, but Kyrie has also shined on the biggest stage.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Kyrie can play defense when he wants to. It may not be lock down like Butler, but Kyrie has also shined on the biggest stage.
Kyrie is definitely as clutch as they come

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Averaging 24 points, 5.5 assists and 6 rebounds with very efficient shooting numbers.

Jimmy Butler's passing and shooting both improved again this season.

Every year he continues to grow and after the year he has had, I think Jimmy has become a top 10 player.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Averaging 24 points, 5.5 assists and 6 rebounds with very efficient shooting numbers.

Jimmy Butler's passing and shooting both improved again this season.

Every year he continues to grow and after the year he has had, I think Jimmy has become a top 10 player.

Well, the top 6 in any given order are indisputable. James, Durant, Curry, Westbrook, Leonard, Harden. Davis is definitely better so that's 7. I don't think anyone in their right mind can say they'd rather have Butler than Wall, so that's 8. Or Thomas so that's 9. I understand Antetokounmpo is still young but he's already just too well rounded not to be better than Butler so that's 10 (guards more positions, more rebounds, assists, blocks, and is pretty much as lethal of a scorer).

Then you have too many guys who I'm pretty sure most people would consider better. Chris Paul is not the same explosively quick player he was a few years ago but he's a much better leader and the most fundamentally sound PG in the NBA. Probably the best pure passer in the NBA and makes three's at a high clip and defense is still near the top for his position. Damian Lillard is a much better offensive player than Butler. His defense is a little weak but that O is enough to give him the edge for me. Kyrie Irving is in that same category.

So that's 13 players I'd put ahead of Butler for sure. Then you have the guys in the toss-up category like Lowry, Conley, Thompson, DeRozan, George, Hayward, Aldridge, Griffin, Cousins. I'd throw Butler in somewhere in that group.

Last edited:

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
I'd have Jimmy 9th. I'd take him any day of the week over Thomas.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Thomas has the benefit of playing under one of the better coaches in all of basketball, who coaches on a team with a GM/VP that doesn't micromanage coaching moves and make FO/Player moves to retaliate when they don't get their way.

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
This in today's Tribune

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/ct-bulls-jimmy-butler-all-nba-spt-0519-20170518-story.html

Based on current salary-cap projections, Butler's so-called "super max" would start at $42 million in 2019-20 and be worth $246.4 million overall. In such a deal, which starts at 35 percent of the salary cap and commands 8 percent raises, Butler would make $57.1 million in the final year of the deal in 2023-24 when he would be 34.

As good as Jimmy might be I don't and i doubt the Bulls see him as being worth a 'super max' contract. He is their best player, great all around player on both ends, can step up and win games but he just doesn't dominate as many games as it would take to justify devoting so much of the salary cap too him. He has some awesome games but he isn't awesome most of the time.

That would be the reason I could see them dealing him now, for a top 5 pick and a collection of players who fill the rotation better than most of what the Bulls have on the bench now. More athletic and consistent than Mirotic, Canaan, Grant, Portis, Payne

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
That's an insane amount of money for a guy who has never been out of the second round of the playoffs.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Gustavus Adolphus said:
6 game first round loss.

This was my quote on December 15, in response to Novak asking, "So...championship?"