What would it take

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
What would it take in these next 4 games to make you guys OK with Barkley as the starter going into next year? Would 4 strong games do it? Is there nothing that can do it? Let's face a fact, Barkley coming out of nowhere is a total surprise to everyone. But what would it take for you guys to be OK with not using a top draft pick for a QB or trading up or trading picks for a QB.

policeman

Son of beech
Liked Posts:
What would it take in these next 4 games to make you guys OK with Barkley as the starter going into next year? Would 4 strong games do it? Is there nothing that can do it? Let's face a fact, Barkley coming out of nowhere is a total surprise to everyone. But what would it take for you guys to be OK with not using a top draft pick for a QB or trading up or trading picks for a QB.

20k in unmarked bills. Either that or a giant sack with a dollar sign on it. Otherwise, no deal.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Barkley has played well for 2 games. He has earned the right to come back next year to compete for a spot. I'd also bring back Connor Shaw to compete for a spot. But if the Bears don't bring in 2 QBs that are better (either currently or with upside to be better in the future), then they will continue to be a terrible team. There's nothing he can do to warrant more than a shot at the #2 job next year.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

Nothing.....we need to stop neglecting the Qb position and draft one. I wasn't impressed by us beating up on a team with a piss-poor "D". What Barkley has shown ( like with Josh McCown) is what a mistake jay has been.
That's why.....
We need competition at the Qb position. Nobody deserves to be handed the position based on these last few meaningless games.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
i still think we need to draft a QB but if he continues to play well then Im fine with drafting in the later rounds for a qb. Honestly the best case scenario is he plays great the last 4 games and he is a franchise QB. If he plays so great that Pace is willing to use our high draft picks on other needs that is a good thing.

Bigdaddybear

Liked Posts:
With the receivers that we have and you wouldn't see him as the goods, if he throws up those numbers??? We have bigger holes that need to be filled if that is the case.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
i still think we need to draft a QB but if he continues to play well then Im fine with drafting in the later rounds for a qb. Honestly the best case scenario is he plays great the last 4 games and he is a franchise QB. If he plays so great that Pace is willing to use our high draft picks on other needs that is a good thing.

...but Qb is a need, it's always been a need.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
He could win all 4 with throwing 4TD's and 0 Picks in each and I would still want them to draft a QB in the first 2 rounds.

Matt Barkley has the same first name as Matt Flynn. Coincidence? I don't think so... Draft 4 QB's and let them battle to the death.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
i agree. But my point was based on if Barkley is a franchise QB. If that is the case then QB is no longer a need.

IMO the only way ya know if ys have a franchise QB is ya consistently go to the post season with the guy. The next 3-4 games won't tell if he is a "franchise QB" The "franchise QB" term is overused.

I just think we as Bears fans tend to lull ourselves into the belief that a Qb's just materialize outta' no where and we don't have to put in the work to draft and groom one.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
With the receivers that we have and you wouldn't see him as the goods, if he throws up those numbers??? We have bigger holes that need to be filled if that is the case.

Yeah... simply because I'm tired of them taking the risky chance. That and I would need to see him have at least a full season of consistency... Worse case scenerio they trade the young drafted qb away in a few years.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
IMO the only way ya know if ys have a franchise QB is ya consistently go to the post season with the guy. The next 3-4 games won't tell if he is a "franchise QB" The "franchise QB" term is overused.

I just think we as Bears fans tend to lull ourselves into the belief that a Qb's just materialize outta' no where and we don't have to put in the work to draft and groom one.

If you are going to use a high draft pick on a QB its because you think his play shows you that he can become a franchise QB. Well there is no difference with evaluating Barkley the same way except he is showing you in real NFL games not collage games.

The argument that he played well against bad teams is kind of silly because we are comparing that to collage prospects that are playing well against collage teams.. and the worst NFL teams are still much better then collage teams.

And lets not forget that before Barkleys injury in collage he was projected a 1st round pick. So its not like we are talking about 6th round talent here

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions

Being OK with not addressing QB?

Nothing. As others have said even if he has All Pro numbers in the last part of the season.

Let me try to explain why. When DCs get film on QBs, they are trying to figure out the OC's tendencies in calling plays for the QB with the understanding that the OC is playing to his QB's strengths and masking his weaknesses. What is the QB doing against cover 0, cover 6, Tampa, etc? How is the QB addressing blitzing up the middle, normal edge pressure, etc? Any and all possibilities are being addressed and sometimes it takes DCs 1 game of tape to figure it out or 4 or a season. Compare Nick Foles in year 1 of the Chip Kelly system to year 2.

"Franchise QBs" are often the ones who develop winning strategies for each and every possible defensive attack on a fairly consistent basis. There is no way we have enough football from now to Week 17 to know if Barkley is a "Franchise" type. He gets to earn a shot, but even assuming he plays at a high level for the rest of the way, we dare not assume he is the "answer".

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Every team should draft a QB in nearly every year of the draft. Perennial winners do this year in and year out. I don't understand what exactly is so hard to grasp about that concept; it isn't exactly one I'd label as "difficult"