QBs possibly on the fa/trade market

AussieBear

I dont buy the speculation on a couple of them, but their list includes 20

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ery-thankful-for-the-2017-quarterback-market/

Tyrod Taylor, Bills:
The contract he signed earlier this year gave him a significant raise for 2016. It also gave the team an easy exit for 2017. If the Bills change coaches, will the successor to Rex Ryan want to commit $27.5 million to Taylor? Maybe, maybe not. If not, he’ll be released.

Jimmy Garoppolo, Patriots: The Pats will face the Chandler Jones/Jamie Collins conundrum with Garoppolo in 2017. Do they keep him for the final year of his deal and allow his departure to factor in to the compensatory draft picks for 2019, or do they trade him for whatever they could get one or two years sooner? With Jacoby Brissett looking the part, don’t be shocked if the Pats part ways with Garoppolo.

Ryan Fitzpatrick, Jets:
No one may want him (especially not as a starter), but he’ll be available. For obvious reasons.

Ryan Tannehill, Dolphins: The Dolphins have a $14.475 million decision to make on Tannehill in March. Earlier this year, it was a toss-up. Now, barring a meltdown, it’s a no-brainer. He’ll be a Dolphin.

A.J. McCarron, Bengals: Signed through 2017, the Bengals have to decide (like the Patriots do) whether to trade McCarron in 2017 or keep him for another year, let him walk in free agency, and get a compensatory pick in 2019.

Robert Griffin III, Browns: The perpetually injured, but now healthy, Griffin may get a chance to audition for his next job before the season ends. With supply matching demand (for a change), Griffin may have to accept a backup role in order to continue his career.

Josh McCown, Browns: He’s under contract for another year, but the Browns may decide there’s no spot for him on a potentially revamped depth chart. He has nevertheless proven to be a steadying presence for a team that needs a positive influence, and his staying power in pro football has been remarkable.

Landry Jones, Steelers: The looming free agent has some starting experience, and he has shown some flashes of ability.

Blake Bortles, Jaguars: The slumping would-be franchise quarterback could be looking for a new franchise if the next coaching staff in Jacksonville decides to look elsewhere. The real question is whether the Jaguars will sign him to a long-term deal after the season or, if not, whether they’ll pick up what would be a very sizable option for 2018. Absent either, a trade could be on the horizon — if anyone want to trade for him at this point.

Alex Smith, Chiefs: Will the Chiefs decide, given the various options on the market, to move on from Smith? Plenty of Kansas City fans will wish they would, given the perception that he has taken the team as far as he can.

Read the rest hurr

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think that the free agent we are going to go after is Barkley, not on your list.

Dr.Footwear

Liked Posts:
Landry Jones is a bum. Fitzpatrick fleeced the Jets. He is worthless.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Stupid article and lazy reporting. Cutler is due to make $16M next year, not $12.5M, so he's definitely not a 'bargain' as the article states. I also love the speculation that the Bears will keep Cutler because Kyle Shanahan will take over the Bears and will feel obligated to keep Cutler because Kyle's dad drafted Cutler 11 years ago. I don't even think remydat could have written such trash.
His base salary will be 12.5 next year. The rest of the 16 mil you mention would be in bonuses. Bears would be on the hook for the last 2 remaining million dollar restructuring bonuses. Then there's a 2.5 mil roster bonus in each year of his remaining contract.

That said, Jay will not be back next year and the remainder of his contract likely does not matter as I think they will just have to release him and he'll be a FA at that point.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think that the free agent we are going to go after is Barkley, not on your list.
Restricted and hardly the type any team would consider unless he just lights the world on fire in the last 4 games.

Only one other than Jimmy in that list that I would even consider is AJ.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
His base salary will be 12.5 next year. The rest of the 16 mil you mention would be in bonuses. Bears would be on the hook for the last 2 remaining million dollar restructuring bonuses. Then there's a 2.5 mil roster bonus in each year of his remaining contract.

That said, Jay will not be back next year and the remainder of his contract likely does not matter as I think they will just have to release him and he'll be a FA at that point.

according to over the cap his base is 14m with a 2m roster bonus....if they cut him soon enough it will be a 16m savings....

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes, Cutler is due to make $16M next year, not $12.5M.
If traded it would actually be 15 mil cause the Bears pay the million dollar restructuring bonus. The team trading for him would pay the 2.5 mil roster bonus that is paid on a per game basis as long as he is on the active roster. In the event he gets injured before the season begins and is not on the active roster for any of the games, then the article would be correct and all he'd get is 12.5 mil.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
according to over the cap his base is 14m with a 2m roster bonus....if they cut him soon enough it will be a 16m savings....
spotrac says base of 12.5 next year + 2.5 roster bonus + 1 mil restructuring bonus

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
I dont buy the speculation on a couple of them, but their list includes 20

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ery-thankful-for-the-2017-quarterback-market/

Tyrod Taylor, Bills:
The contract he signed earlier this year gave him a significant raise for 2016. It also gave the team an easy exit for 2017. If the Bills change coaches, will the successor to Rex Ryan want to commit $27.5 million to Taylor? Maybe, maybe not. If not, he’ll be released.

Jimmy Garoppolo, Patriots: The Pats will face the Chandler Jones/Jamie Collins conundrum with Garoppolo in 2017. Do they keep him for the final year of his deal and allow his departure to factor in to the compensatory draft picks for 2019, or do they trade him for whatever they could get one or two years sooner? With Jacoby Brissett looking the part, don’t be shocked if the Pats part ways with Garoppolo.

Ryan Fitzpatrick, Jets:
No one may want him (especially not as a starter), but he’ll be available. For obvious reasons.

Ryan Tannehill, Dolphins: The Dolphins have a $14.475 million decision to make on Tannehill in March. Earlier this year, it was a toss-up. Now, barring a meltdown, it’s a no-brainer. He’ll be a Dolphin.

A.J. McCarron, Bengals: Signed through 2017, the Bengals have to decide (like the Patriots do) whether to trade McCarron in 2017 or keep him for another year, let him walk in free agency, and get a compensatory pick in 2019.

Robert Griffin III, Browns: The perpetually injured, but now healthy, Griffin may get a chance to audition for his next job before the season ends. With supply matching demand (for a change), Griffin may have to accept a backup role in order to continue his career.

Josh McCown, Browns: He’s under contract for another year, but the Browns may decide there’s no spot for him on a potentially revamped depth chart. He has nevertheless proven to be a steadying presence for a team that needs a positive influence, and his staying power in pro football has been remarkable.

Landry Jones, Steelers: The looming free agent has some starting experience, and he has shown some flashes of ability.

Blake Bortles, Jaguars: The slumping would-be franchise quarterback could be looking for a new franchise if the next coaching staff in Jacksonville decides to look elsewhere. The real question is whether the Jaguars will sign him to a long-term deal after the season or, if not, whether they’ll pick up what would be a very sizable option for 2018. Absent either, a trade could be on the horizon — if anyone want to trade for him at this point.

Alex Smith, Chiefs: Will the Chiefs decide, given the various options on the market, to move on from Smith? Plenty of Kansas City fans will wish they would, given the perception that he has taken the team as far as he can.

Read the rest hurr

This is not a bad list if you are looking for a backup QB outside of Jimmy G of course who is starter material. Thats why these guys on available not starter material.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
spotrac says base of 12.5 next year + 2.5 roster bonus + 1 mil restructuring bonus

The

The restructuring bonus is still part of salary...which means spotrac has it at 13.5m instead of Over the cap 14m..they just differ on the roster bonus...

Most of what I have heard from the media says 16m...

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes, Cutler is due to make $16M next year, not $12.5M.

Cutler is not 'shorted' $1M because he is traded...his contract is picked up by a new team and the existing terms remain. I'm not sure why the Bears would be on the hook to pay the remaining 'restructuring bonus'. And I'm not sure how being injured before the season negates Cutler's $1M restructuring 'bonus', which is the only guaranteed portion of his 2017 salary.
No, he will not be shorted 1 mil. The Bears have to pay it. He gets paid 1 mil restructuring bonus both next year and the year after which is why there would be 2 mil in dead money should the Bears cut him. That 2 mil comes from the Bears not the team he'd be traded to.

Getting injured would not affect restructuring bonus but it would affect roster bonus which is paid on a per game basis for every game he is active

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
And I'll take your draft pick and trade it for Jimmy.

Terrible idea.

rejected1.jpg

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Terrible idea.

rejected1.jpg
Yes, I can see it now. Bears pass on Jimmy and draft their QB. He does poorly his first year and you and others are like, "He just needs to develop. He has untapped potential. Has a good arm, athleticism yada yada ." Still not good in second year, "Oh, he's had 2 coordinators already. Has potential and all the tools" and, sadly the vicious, unrelenting cycle is repeated over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yes, I can see it now. Bears pass on Jimmy and draft their QB. He does poorly his first year and you and others are like, "He just needs to develop. He has untapped potential. Has a good arm, athleticism yada yada ." Still not good in second year, "Oh, he's had 2 coordinators already. Has potential and all the tools" and, sadly the vicious, unrelenting cycle is repeated over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...

That sounds like the kind of excuse making Cutler fanboys used to make. Not my thing. I'd rather not repeat the mistake of trading for another mediocre QB and being stuck with his inflated contract. I would rather draft a more talented player who can make a real difference himself like a Kizer or even a Watson, as opposed to someone less talented who can merely function in the easiest system in the NFL. I'd also rather have four years of a harmless rookie contract to evaluate them properly rather than having to anchor the team to them.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
That sounds like the kind of excuse making Cutler fanboys used to make. Not my thing. I'd rather not repeat the mistake of trading for another mediocre QB and being stuck with his inflated contract. I would rather draft a more talented player who can make a real difference himself like a Kizer or even a Watson, as opposed to someone less talented who can merely function in the easiest system in the NFL. I'd also rather have four years of a harmless rookie contract to evaluate them properly rather than having to anchor the team to them.
Well, you opt on your 4 year evaluation of a QB who just can't make it in the NFL and save the Bears some money while they continue to suck. I'll take Jimmy, not give a damn how much the Bears have to spend, and take the fast track to the Super Bowl.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well, you opt on your 4 year evaluation of a QB who just can't make it in the NFL and save the Bears some money while they continue to suck. I'll take Jimmy, not give a damn how much the Bears have to spend, and take the fast track to the Super Bowl.

The only way Jimmy will be going to the Superbowl is if he buys tickets.

Still, with your plan he'll certainly be able to afford them, courtesy of the Bears.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
The only way Jimmy will be going to the Superbowl is if he buys tickets.

Still, with your plan he'll certainly be able to afford them, courtesy of the Bears.
Jimmy doesn't need tickets. Jimmy is the whole fuckin' show.

The Bears starting from scratch at the QB position now. Don't see how anyone can feel confident they'd get their next quality starter out of this rather weak draft. Of all the names being thrown around, I think Trubisky will be the top dog by the time the draft comes. He'll go quickly though and I don't think the Bears will lose out so there will be 3 or 4 teams ahead of them, leaving them just scraps they'll have to reach for. Wouldn't hate drafting Trubisky but likely gone before Bears pick. Not feeling the others at all though.