QBs possibly on the fa/trade market

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why would the Bears have to pay it, as opposed to the team that picks up Cutler's contract? I thought that was the whole point of the restructuring...spreading out the guaranteed money over a longer period of time.
That guaranteed money is still guaranteed by the Bears though. It's just spread out like that to afford them more cap space in the year they restructured it. It's why they'll be left with 2 mil in dead money. That's still a small number as far as dead money goes though. It's nothing that would prevent the Bears from just releasing him.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/jay-cutler-2493/

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
Yes, Cutler is due to make $16M next year, not $12.5M.

Cutler is not 'shorted' $1M because he is traded...his contract is picked up by a new team and the existing terms remain. I'm not sure why the Bears would be on the hook to pay the remaining 'restructuring bonus'. And I'm not sure how being injured before the season negates Cutler's $1M restructuring 'bonus', which is the only guaranteed portion of his 2017 salary.

If I made $16M next year I'd spend it all on Ramen.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
But the guaranteed money isn't upfront signing bonus money. Its a deferment of his 1st year base salary, originally an astronomical $22.5M, paid annually in $1M increments over 5 years. If another team picks up Cutler's contract, the Bears will be left with $0 in dead money, because Cutler is still playing under the terms of his contract but its with another team. The dead money is only an issue if the Bears find no takers for Cutler in the trade market, no takers for Cutler on the waiver wire, and Cutler is released from the Bears outright.
As far as trading to another team goes, I can't even wrap my head around that. Don't see it happening and am just expecting him to be released.

In the event he is traded, I'm no expert but my thinking is that he was already paid in full and the restructured bonus is done simply for team cap purposes. In other words, they already paid him that 5 mil that was reallocated on the books for cap purposes and then spread out the 5 million over the next 5 years in 1 million dollar increments opting to take smaller 1 million dollar cap hits each year rather than take the whole 5 million dollar cap hit in the first year of the contract. So, it wouldn't mean they or the team he'd be traded to owe him that 1 mil restructuring bonus but it will still count against the Bears cap.

Last edited:

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
The only way Jimmy will be going to the Superbowl is if he buys tickets.

Still, with your plan he'll certainly be able to afford them, courtesy of the Bears.

I see what you are saying in that A) the Patriots system makes him look better and B) he has had a very limited number of snaps.

That said, he still was pretty highly thought of out of college and drafted in the 2nd round. If we could get a reasonable deal for him and still draft a guy like Garrett or Allen, wouldn't that seem like a win win? I wouldn't trade a top 5 pick for him, but I definitely would trade an early 2nd.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I see what you are saying in that A) the Patriots system makes him look better and B) he has had a very limited number of snaps.

That said, he still was pretty highly thought of out of college and drafted in the 2nd round. If we could get a reasonable deal for him and still draft a guy like Garrett or Allen, wouldn't that seem like a win win? I wouldn't trade a top 5 pick for him, but I definitely would trade an early 2nd.

No because I don't think he has the kind of talent to put a team on his back and win games like Kizer and Watson do (whatever we say about their flaws), but even if I did, the Pats are going to want far more than a 2nd round pick for him.

It's been discussed at length and there are no scenarios where I want it. I want the Bears to draft their own QB.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I would give Barkley a chance before any of them. Trubisky would be nice, but he's not worth trading up for. I'm underwhelmed by everyone else in this class. The Bears don't have the capital to spend picks on someone else's second or third stringer.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
True story. When I lived in a halfway house, my 8-fingered room mate, Keith -- who was half black half Irish used to mix Ramen, Chili and a block of white American cheese and cook it for dinner every night.

Where is he on Sundays? Maybe he could try to give that away? Haha.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
True story. When I lived in a halfway house, my 8-fingered room mate, Keith -- who was half black half Irish used to mix Ramen, Chili and a block of white American cheese and cook it for dinner every night.

A whole block of cheese?

not_even_mad.gif

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:

Again, I must take exception to this false narrative that everybody seems to have. It is no easier for a Qb to succeed in the Patriots system than any one of many others. People come up with names like Matt Cassel and Ryan Mallet to prove their point but it really only proves their ignorance. For one, Ryan Mallet never even started a game for the Patriots. He was hyped but never showed anything while with them and only saw mop up duty which resulted in 1 completion in 4 attempts. And, with Cassel, he did good the 1 year Brady was hurt, not great. What Josh McCown did with the Bears makes that season by Cassel look like nothing more but average and uninspiring. Cassel actually had his best season with the KC Chiefs, not the Patriots.

No, when Belichick said the transition to Jimmy was seamless, he wasn't thinking any old QB would do. He was thinking Jimmy is just that damn good!

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
But the guaranteed money isn't upfront signing bonus money. Its a deferment of his 1st year base salary, originally an astronomical $22.5M, paid annually in $1M increments over 5 years. If another team picks up Cutler's contract, the Bears will be left with $0 in dead money, because Cutler is still playing under the terms of his contract but its with another team. The dead money is only an issue if the Bears find no takers for Cutler in the trade market, no takers for Cutler on the waiver wire, and Cutler is released from the Bears outright.

As far as trading to another team goes, I can't even wrap my head around that. Don't see it happening and am just expecting him to be released.

In the event he is traded, I'm no expert but my thinking is that he was already paid in full and the restructured bonus is done simply for team cap purposes. In other words, they already paid him that 5 mil that was reallocated on the books for cap purposes and then spread out the 5 million over the next 5 years in 1 million dollar increments opting to take smaller 1 million dollar cap hits each year rather than take the whole 5 million dollar cap hit in the first year of the contract. So, it wouldn't mean they or the team he'd be traded to owe him that 1 mil restructuring bonus but it will still count against the Bears cap.

Spartan is right, The Bears would be responsible regardless of a cut or a trade. The money is already owed Cutler for services rendered, it's just the payments have been deferred.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
A whole block of cheese?

not_even_mad.gif

Haha, yeah. Literally a whole block of white American cheese that they used to sell at Aldi's. The guy was fucking nuts. He actually killed somebody and went to prison for like 20 years. When he was released, the court ordered him into my halfway house and some how he ended up as my room mate. The funny thing was, he was the nicest dude you'll ever meet.

But yeah he was missing half of his index and half of his middle finger. Supposedly somebody chopped 'em off. This was back in 2006. I wonder what ever happened to the guy.

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
McCarron would be a welcome addition in my eyes. He's looked good in his limited time under center. Like to see him get a shot to start somewhere.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
Only guy I'd consider on that list would be Bortles, since I assume he wouldn't cost nearly as much as JG unjustifiably would. He's young and has more than 1.5 career games under his belt where he showed potential. I would still draft a QB in the first round though.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Only guy I'd consider on that list would be Bortles, since I assume he wouldn't cost nearly as much as JG unjustifiably would. He's young and has more than 1.5 career games under his belt where he showed potential. I would still draft a QB in the first round though.
Bortles sucks. He's slow. Jimmy not slow. He throws INTs. Jimmy hates INTs. Jimmy does not throw ints. Bortles is also very accustomed to losing. Jimmy hates losing. Jimmy is undefeated as an NFL starter!

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
Bortles sucks. He's slow. Jimmy not slow. He throws INTs. Jimmy hates INTs. Jimmy does not throw ints. Bortles is also very accustomed to losing. Jimmy hates losing. Jimmy is undefeated as an NFL starter!
Hard to throw INTs while on IR. Also, I will not single out a player for losing while being on the Jags roster.

billwade

Liked Posts:
Spartan is right, The Bears would be responsible regardless of a cut or a trade. The money is already owed Cutler for services rendered, it's just the payments have been deferred.

The only thing I would take issue with is the roster bonus, which is something like 156k for every week Cutler remains active. So, I only see the 1 mil prorated bonus counting against the cap.

Regardless, I don't care if the cap hit was 10 mil, I'd release Cutler at the first opportunity.