QBs possibly on the fa/trade market

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Spartan is right, The Bears would be responsible regardless of a cut or a trade. The money is already owed Cutler for services rendered, it's just the payments have been deferred.

The money isn't owed to Cutler. He received it years ago.

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just to clear up the "restructuring bonus" confusion...

Let's say a player signs a five year contract for $10 million a year. To keep things simple, no workout bonuses, roster bonuses, initial signing bonus, etc. His payout would look like this:

Year 1: $10M
Year 2: $10M
Year 3: $10M
Year 4: $10M
Year 5: $10M

The cap hit would look exactly the same.

If the team wanted to reduce their cap hit in year one, they could convert some of the player's year one salary to a bonus. The cap hit from that bonus money could then be spread out over the life of the contract (up to five years). So if the team above converted $5M of the first year's salary to bonus money, the cap hit would look like this:

Year 1: $6M
Year 2: $11M
Year 3: $11M
Year 4: $11M
Year 5: $11M

This is the amount of money the player would receive each year after the restructure:

Year 1: $10M
Year 2: $10M
Year 3: $10M
Year 4: $10M
Year 5: $10M

It's the exact same amount of money paid out at the exact same times as the original contract. It has no effect on how much the player is paid or when he is paid. It only affects the cap hit.

Now, if the player is cut at any time, the remainder of the amortized cap hit from the bonus hits at once. So if you cut the player above in year four of the contract, you'd add $2M to that year's cap instead of $1M. If the player had no guaranteed money, his cap hit would still be $2M.

This is pretty much the situation with Cutler. In 2014, he converted $5M of his salary to bonus money. He didn't receive any less money in 2014 for doing it. The Bears paid him the exact same amount of money, they just spread out the cap hit for that $5M over five years.

So, if he's on the roster next year, he gets paid $12.5 in salary and a $2.5M roster bonus. He would get paid $15M, but he would carry a $16M cap hit.

If he gets cut or traded, the team saves $15M in cash since none of that is guaranteed. They would take a $2M cap hit, though, from the amortized bonus money (there was $1M left in 2017 and 2018). Again, to be clear, the team would not pay him $2M. They paid him that money in 2014.

That's why the team saves $14M on the cap if he's cut. It's a matter of $15M in cash payout + $1M amortized cap hit vs $2M amortized cap hit. Sixteen vs two.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jimmy doesn't need tickets. Jimmy is the whole fuckin' show.

The Bears starting from scratch at the QB position now. Don't see how anyone can feel confident they'd get their next quality starter out of this rather weak draft. Of all the names being thrown around, I think Trubisky will be the top dog by the time the draft comes. He'll go quickly though and I don't think the Bears will lose out so there will be 3 or 4 teams ahead of them, leaving them just scraps they'll have to reach for. Wouldn't hate drafting Trubisky but likely gone before Bears pick. Not feeling the others at all though.

Not so fast mein freund.

rob_van_dam_wwe_world_heavyweight_champion_by_undertaker02-d7j0p7j.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Only guy I'd consider on that list would be Bortles, since I assume he wouldn't cost nearly as much as JG unjustifiably would. He's young and has more than 1.5 career games under his belt where he showed potential. I would still draft a QB in the first round though.

Bortles is a train wreck

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I can't think of anything more meaningless than whether Cutler gets 14 or 16.

We're moving on.

Even if he stays, who cares? It's not like when he sucks we'll say "At least he is only making 14 million, not 16."