Cubs cancelled my season tickets - anyone else?

evanstonian

Liked Posts:
Got an e-mail this week telling me that my season tickets will not be renewed. Did this happen to anyone else? And yes, I sold most of my tickets. But I've also had these for years and took huge losses some years.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
What did they tell you when you called them?

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Got an e-mail this week telling me that my season tickets will not be renewed. Did this happen to anyone else? And yes, I sold most of my tickets. But I've also had these for years and took huge losses some years.

I have to wonder if there is more to the story.

evanstonian

Liked Posts:
What did they tell you when you called them?

They said you sold nearly all of your season tickets on Stubhub, so that's why we cancelled them. I don't dispute that fact, but just wanted to know whether they cancelled other peoples' season tickets, how widespread this cancellation stuff extended.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
They said you sold nearly all of your season tickets on Stubhub, so that's why we cancelled them. I don't dispute that fact, but just wanted to know whether they cancelled other peoples' season tickets, how widespread this cancellation stuff extended.
Wait..you paid them for your tickets
What does it matter to them what you do with them,their yours

Also
WTF do they have trackers on these tixs to keep tab on them to see if their being sold elsewhere?

I'd take them to court
Not their business what you do with something you bought and paid for

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

evanstonian

Liked Posts:
Wait..you paid them for your tickets
What does it matter to them what you do with them,their yours

Also
WTF do they have trackers on these tixs to keep tab on them to see if their being sold elsewhere?

I'd take them to court
Not their business what you do with something you bought and paid for

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

They hide behind "tickets are a revocable license and we can cancel for any reason whatsoever."

The hypocrisy lies in the fact that the Cubs like to claim they care about the average fans while getting kickbacks on every sale from Stubhub. Not to mention, they negotiated a sweetheart deal with Stubhub wherein fans are not allowed to re-sell Cubs tickets on SH less than 6 hours before games, forcing fans to buy overpriced tickets at Will Call. (See: abcnews.go.com/Sports/stubhub-hour-shutdown-part-cubs-contract-lift-policy/story?id=43149031 )

85Bears

Formerly known as 85Bears
Donator
Liked Posts:
Does it make it clear in the season ticket agreement that the Cubs take a dim view on selling tickets to others, or that it's against "the rules"? If not that's kinda bullshit.

How many games did you or your family actually attend?

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

While I feel your pain, read your Season ticket agreement!! This is all over MLB, not just the Cubs.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
there are 90,000 people on the waiting list for tickets, and no doubt, most of them probably plan to do exactly what you did. I dont get the mentality though, all they want is asses in seats and new fans, which you are delivering on. I really do not understand it either. You should at least be able to sell them for what you paid. Is there an option to sell them back to them so they can get the profit or absorb the loss if they dont sell?

Washington

Liked Posts:
If they are getting their money, why do they care? Seems like a lot of crap to me.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, hope you made a shit ton of money this year. Cause you won't be next year. :shrug::parrot::shrug:

DanTown

Liked Posts:
I'm sorry, I understand the desire to have season tickets and the need to sell them to offset the inability to go to games but if you are basically using the season tickets as a way to make money instead of actually going to games then I don't feel sorry for you. While the Cubs are in essence a monopoly on tickets, I can at least hope the person/people who get your seats will actually go to the games themselves, which is the point of season tickets.

I guess the answer to this question will determine the issue: how many games did you NOT sell tickets on third party sites?

Less than 5
6-10
11-20
20-30
30+

By the way, I don't believe the issue is that you used Stubhub to sell the tickets but rather you went outside the Cubs 3rd party site to do so. And if I ran a sports team, I'd have the exact policy: you can resell our tickets on our site or you can go to the games or you can not get tickets.

evanstonian

Liked Posts:
I'm sorry, I understand the desire to have season tickets and the need to sell them to offset the inability to go to games but if you are basically using the season tickets as a way to make money instead of actually going to games then I don't feel sorry for you. While the Cubs are in essence a monopoly on tickets, I can at least hope the person/people who get your seats will actually go to the games themselves, which is the point of season tickets.

I guess the answer to this question will determine the issue: how many games did you NOT sell tickets on third party sites?

Less than 5
6-10
11-20
20-30
30+

By the way, I don't believe the issue is that you used Stubhub to sell the tickets but rather you went outside the Cubs 3rd party site to do so. And if I ran a sports team, I'd have the exact policy: you can resell our tickets on our site or you can go to the games or you can not get tickets.

No, the issue is definitely NOT that I went outside of Stubhub. Of the tickets that I sold, I sold 99% on Stubhub. In fact, on the Cubs.com season ticket holder portal, when a sale on Stubhub is made, it reflects this. That's how the Cubs were able to track my re-selling tendencies.

And where is it written that if you buy season tickets, *you* personally are supposed to attend the games? Aren't season tickets just as much about investing in the team before the season starts, thereby giving them much-needed revenue that might not materialize in late season if they aren't doing well?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Now number Forty Thousand Three Hundred and TWO on the waiting list.

Yes!

TL1961

Liked Posts:
No, the issue is definitely NOT that I went outside of Stubhub. Of the tickets that I sold, I sold 99% on Stubhub. In fact, on the Cubs.com season ticket holder portal, when a sale on Stubhub is made, it reflects this. That's how the Cubs were able to track my re-selling tendencies.

And where is it written that if you buy season tickets, *you* personally are supposed to attend the games? Aren't season tickets just as much about investing in the team before the season starts, thereby giving them much-needed revenue that might not materialize in late season if they aren't doing well?

Well, that was pretty dumb, now, wasn't it?

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
I only thought that Taco could get into this kind of a mess

evanstonian

Liked Posts:
Well, that was pretty dumb, now, wasn't it?

With the benefit of hindsight, of course.

That said, it's harder to unload tickets to 81 regular season home games not using Stubhub than you might think. Due to the partnership between the Cubs and Stubhub, all it takes to get rid of Cubs tickets is pushing a button, literally. Stubhub also protects sellers against buyers who claim "I never got my tickets, etc."

Out of curiosity, what websites besides Stubhub do you go to to buy tickets? I don't have some extended underground network of buyers to take all of these tickets off my hands.

Besides, I had been doing it this way for years and the Cubs didn't blink an eye, I didn't think they would care, especially because they were profiting off of every one of the sales that I made on Stubhub.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
The fact of the matter is you weren't going to games; you were using tickets as a way to make a profit. Of course they didn't care when they suck and the care when they're good; much like restaurants will let you push two tables together when it's slow but when it's busy they won't. I mean, you buy tickets from them and I assume in the agreement the right to that is revoked if they feel that you're using the tickets the way you did (sold almost all of them, sold them outside the Cubs portal). I mean, if they don't police this, their tickets are massively more expensive for the "average fan" and then season tickets are essentially meaningless at getting real fans to the game.

I have no idea where your seats were but I mean, why should as I a Cub fan or even person feel bad for you? Do you truly believe the idea of season tickets is for people to get the tickets and then primarily sell all of them back for a profit?