Tyson Ross opinions

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Depends if they extend Jake or not. I doubt they will get tied up with Ross at that point. They would need the payroll for Jake then.

If Boras asks for the moon then you may see Ross signed.

My opinion is Ross may get a better opertunity with the Pirates. Lower expectations this year vs Cubs/Rangers. That way he can be eased into live action with out a play off push to force decisions on him.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
All depends on what he wants to sign in terms of length and guaranteed contract. There's very little value if the Cubs pay him a fair price for a two year deal (i.e 2/30) or something because best case he comes back and he's a solid starter you have to sign in two years or worst case, you just burned 30 million. My assumption is Ross wants something short (one year plus an option with a ton of money on it) and less of a guarantee OR he wants close to full value. If the Cubs did something like 4/50 (Cubs are valuing him at 8 million then 14/14/14 but actually paying him something like 14-13-12-11) with an option for 18 million in the fifth year, would Ross take it? Would the Cubs offer it? Tough to know what Ross would want in term of protection for his life. He's made some money in his life (18 million so far) so I could see the argument both for and against taking a four-year deal.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I was looking over the class and I would target Danny Duffy myself.

Pineda should be the hot target. Jake will be 32 and with Grenke's debacle I doubt any GM wants the job risk.

Duffy should be mid tier for a target and he is pretty damn good for a 3.

If I'm Ross I'm signing a 1 year rehab deal with the Pirates to establish my free Agent market value. That is a team that is good and could make some noise but the expectations are really not there. Cubs on the other hand I doubt want to gamble games away.

Not to mention I want the focus to be about me getting games in and reestablishing myself. Vs getting into the middle of a pennant race and risk injury.

The-0

Liked Posts:
Hammel is still out there unless Ross is signing for free

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Ross would be smart to sign with us over the Pirates. Look at our defense -- he'd have the best infield D in all of baseball. Plus GG Heyward in RF and Almora/Jay in CF.

Also our pitching structure is elite. All the SP's who come here have career years.

Furthermore, we're the best team in baseball and if Ross has a great season with us - who knows how much he'll get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Ross would be smart to sign with us over the Pirates. Look at our defense -- he'd have the best infield D in all of baseball. Plus GG Heyward in RF and Almora/Jay in CF.

Also our pitching structure is elite. All the SP's who come here have career years.

Furthermore, we're the best team in baseball and if Ross has a great season with us - who knows how much he'll get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you are looking at it from a fan perspective. Look at it from a point of view of a guy needing to reestablish himself post injury. He needs game time in.

The Cubs most likely would offer a split deal. Minor/major league rate. Which means they would stuff him in rehab on discount. Then if something comes up and he is ready then he would be put into a high pressure situation.

Pirates on the other hand most likely suck. He would then be able to just work on getting his innings up. He most likely is not blocked where he has to hope for a opening to pop up.

Most GM's are going to look at his FIP SO/9 BB/9 anyways. Sure some old school guys would get wrapped up into ERA and W/L record but that is really not how pitchers are valued nowadays. They are going to look at his IP/Game and then see if his pitch counts are up. Then they start to look at his stats knowing he is still in rehab mode.

Being stuffed in Iowa is really not helping him.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
All depends on what he wants to sign in terms of length and guaranteed contract. There's very little value if the Cubs pay him a fair price for a two year deal (i.e 2/30) or something because best case he comes back and he's a solid starter you have to sign in two years or worst case, you just burned 30 million. My assumption is Ross wants something short (one year plus an option with a ton of money on it) and less of a guarantee OR he wants close to full value. If the Cubs did something like 4/50 (Cubs are valuing him at 8 million then 14/14/14 but actually paying him something like 14-13-12-11) with an option for 18 million in the fifth year, would Ross take it? Would the Cubs offer it? Tough to know what Ross would want in term of protection for his life. He's made some money in his life (18 million so far) so I could see the argument both for and against taking a four-year deal.

I think he wants a 1 year deal and would take a below marked one as long as he can walk clean into the 2018 F/A class.

He should be able to reestablish himself next year and that is where his value jumps.

Jake Arrieta (32)
Yu Darvish (31)
Michael Pineda (29)
Tyson Ross (31)
Danny Duffy (29)
Nathan Eovaldi (28)

The class is decent. I would let Ross rehab and see where he is at in 18. Pineda and Darvish should gain the attention. Jake puts up a insane year you have to expect some GM to get stupid. Ross rebounds he is right up with them. Duffy I believe should be the target. Solid numbers and slots into the 3. Not going to cost 100M to ink the deal either unless he puts up some insane numbers then expect the Royals to sell this offseason anyways.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
add Chris Tillman to that list. He might be the #1 arm. Masahiro Tanaka (29) if he opts out of his last 3 years also becomes a big target.

Over all the 2018 class is pretty damn good.