Upgrading my PC.. have some Q's

Unannounced Fart

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Southern California Trojans
I'm upgrading only my CPU (from i7-2600 to i7-6700) and motherboard. I'll be transferring everything else from my old PC, including my boot drive with the operating system (Windows 10) on it. My question is, once I transfer everything over, will it boot up Windows right away? I.e., I won't have to do all those configurations in BIOS that I did when I initially built the PC from scratch and reinstall Windows? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Also upgrading RAM.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Prep the OS install if you want to salvage it. Otherwise it's really a toss of the dice depending on a number of factors.
IMO, Nuke and pave with a new motherboard, because you're going to have gremlins pop up sooner or later that will drive you nuts. Anyways, if you must try...

Backup data. Prep the OS by installing the drivers for the new motherboard before you change the hardware. It's important to do this without rebooting with old hardware, you want to reboot with NEW hardware, so it initializes the configs correctly. Then if Windows doesn't discover and correct the system/registry to point to new drivers, you'll want to play in safe mode, ripping old drivers out, maybe even new drivers and reinstall some depending on conflicts.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would not move to a new Motherboard/CPU without nuking and starting over with a fresh install of my OS....there are a variety of things a new OS install gives you and like Crys was saying you avoid any gremlins causing you problems down the road.

I mean as long as you have a drive where all your persistent data can sit, nuke your OS drive, install a fresh copy of OS, and then all you gotta do is install any software you want. Honestly, this is a good thing... lol the number of applications people tend to install and forget they have sitting around.... you wind up realizing you have like 5-10 main things you want and anything else really isn't so vital you need your exact setup like it is right now.

I wish I could nuke my work laptop and do a fresh install.... so many barriers to that doe.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Even if you get windows to work (which is likely) there will probably be hiccups that aren't worth dealing with imo.

Also, if I was you, I would wait for kaby lake unless you already got the hardware...

Unannounced Fart

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Thanks guys, I'm glad I asked this here.. sounds like I should just do a fresh install then.

Bot, I only bought the motherboard, but not the CPU yet. Looks like Kaby Lake will release in January? If that's the case, I think I can wait another month. BF1 is killing my current CPU, which is why I wanted to upgrade. Thanks!

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sounds like kaby lake will be first Q so could take up to march, but if you got a rig right now that does most of what you want, its prob worth waiting. But then again, the improvement will probably be pretty incremental so whatever.

AussieBear

BF1 is killing my current CPU, which is why I wanted to upgrade. Thanks!

really? how so?

that xeon w3690 i got has no issues with the game at all.. i think you got me on single core performance but perhaps the multicore/threads comes into play more on bf1 than i assume it does

how much ram?
how much vram does your gpu have?

bb will run afterburner for a few

AussieBear

really? how so?

that xeon w3690 i got has no issues with the game at all.. i know you got me on single core performance but perhaps the multicore comes into play more on bf1 than i assumed it would..

how much ram?
how much vram does your gpu have?

bb will see run afterburner for a few

are you using dx12?? ive had some ppl i play with have issues using dx12...theyve gone back to dx11

my issue is my gpu.. still waiting on a psu upgrade for a gpu upgrade but im in no hurry.

i noticed the most ram i was using was 6gb (my sys is 12gb ddr3), but the game hovers around 5.7gb.. do you have other ram heavy shit running in the background?

my cpu was 40% at max but hovering in the 30% at 55c --- all 12 threads were being utilised..
my shitty gpu (slighty oc) is 2gb and that fuck was running at 100%.

i only run at 1050p on medium... i get in the 50s fps.. very smooth and playable, zero drops
900p can do ultra at 30-40 but its not as smooth because it will drop from time to time
are you running ultra @ 1440p or higher??

i wonder if its your gpu , possibly dx12, ram and not the cpu...

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
meh, not a bad excuse either way to upgrade.

The day of getting by on 2gb, being semi comfortable on 4gb, and being able to throw anything at an 8gb system are coming to an end shortly as the world adopts more 14nm generation CPUs.

Unannounced Fart

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
are you using dx12?? ive had some ppl i play with have issues using dx12...theyve gone back to dx11

my issue is my gpu.. still waiting on a psu upgrade for a gpu upgrade but im in no hurry.

i noticed the most ram i was using was 6gb (my sys is 12gb ddr3), but the game hovers around 5.7gb.. do you have other ram heavy shit running in the background?

my cpu was 40% at max but hovering in the 30% at 55c --- all 12 threads were being utilised..
my shitty gpu (slighty oc) is 2gb and that fuck was running at 100%.

i only run at 1050p on medium... i get in the 50s fps.. very smooth and playable, zero drops
900p can do ultra at 30-40 but its not as smooth because it will drop from time to time
are you running ultra @ 1440p or higher??

i wonder if its your gpu , possibly dx12, ram and not the cpu...

My CPU (i7-2600k) would sometimes go to 70% and even higher sometimes. I do believe I was playing on DX12, but not sure, and on ultra settings. 16GB RAM. Anyhow, my CPU fan also stopped working, so I thought it would be a good time to just overhaul the entire thing.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
based on early benchmarks kaby doesnt offer much over skylake and any improvement there is is due solely to higher stock clock speeds. if you dont want to wait up to 3 months, you might as well build the pc with a 6700k, especially if you have a microcenter nearby.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Kaby Lake is more than just a small performance improvement over skylake. Skylake wound up being a dog as far as errata issues, which is really where Kaby Lake makes up the bulk of performance. It's sad, I was hyping skylake for a while because of all the bus and lane limitations in every architecture before it, but it wound up not delivering.

Don't underestimate errata issues. Developers need to code around them, and once skylake isn't the newest and hottest flavor(by default, really) then a lot of simple compile flags start to be forgotten and new issues with past errata that wasn't addressed before falls into the cracks. If a person has the choice to wait, it's not the worst of ideas. But I am exaggerating some of this, because someone could buy a Skylake now just as well and not really have any issues. All I'm saying is Kaby Lake is a hardware solution to those issues, where Skylake requires more software solutions.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Thanks guys, I'm glad I asked this here.. sounds like I should just do a fresh install then.

Bot, I only bought the motherboard, but not the CPU yet. Looks like Kaby Lake will release in January? If that's the case, I think I can wait another month. BF1 is killing my current CPU, which is why I wanted to upgrade. Thanks!

Not only will Kaby Lake be releasing in Q1 2017, but AMD's new Zen chips will as well. Kaby Lake will probably still be better for gaming, but Zen could compete on price/performance. Skylake prices may drop as well with the next generation coming out.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
Kaby Lake is more than just a small performance improvement over skylake. Skylake wound up being a dog as far as errata issues, which is really where Kaby Lake makes up the bulk of performance. It's sad, I was hyping skylake for a while because of all the bus and lane limitations in every architecture before it, but it wound up not delivering.

Don't underestimate errata issues. Developers need to code around them, and once skylake isn't the newest and hottest flavor(by default, really) then a lot of simple compile flags start to be forgotten and new issues with past errata that wasn't addressed before falls into the cracks. If a person has the choice to wait, it's not the worst of ideas. But I am exaggerating some of this, because someone could buy a Skylake now just as well and not really have any issues. All I'm saying is Kaby Lake is a hardware solution to those issues, where Skylake requires more software solutions.

you obviously work in this field and are far more knowledgeable than I am, but everything that ive read as sated the there is literally no difference between skylake and kabylake and the only change is a few tweaks that allow for better power efficiency and therefor higher stock speeds, but other than that zero difference. how could a cpu that is identical architecturally be a hardware solution to something that was that is supposedly a result of the same hardware?

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What kind of barriers?

Enterprise IT services.... I can't do it, nor do I have access to a copy of my OS, nor do I have control of my Windows updates (Crys was saying)... nor do I have access to company software I would need to re-install.

I could ask for ETS to do it, but more than likely they would destroy my system and leave me working off a loaner for months, and eventually they would just send me a new laptop.

It just isn't worth the hassle.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
you obviously work in this field and are far more knowledgeable than I am, but everything that ive read as sated the there is literally no difference between skylake and kabylake and the only change is a few tweaks that allow for better power efficiency and therefor higher stock speeds, but other than that zero difference. how could a cpu that is identical architecturally be a hardware solution to something that was that is supposedly a result of the same hardware?

Errata is a funny problem.

The architecture itself plays a role, yes, but so does the fabrication methods. Intel hasn't done much to fix errata in the architecture itself since 'core', unless you count instruction migration and memory controllers. One is due to introducing a major standard shift, means you grandfather in a lot of the design flaws, unfortunately. The other reasons are speculation about how intel runs R&D. Now as far as fabrication, gate errata has been an increasing problem since sub 30nm. Most people will notice how this was all controlled using arrays of regulators onboard to control less than perfect circuits in the CPU and other hardware. Like the heavy use of mofsets. Now everything is significantly harder to correct by many orders of magnitude with a motherboard solution. A major problem now, not all nano-ICs can shrink at the same rate. Transistors and cache aren't the only parts of the processor die module itself. So this is where the gate issue throws a monkey wrench into tick-tock or ANY generational shift in production. So Intel can get larger samples of where the cycles are broken and redesign that super tiny circuit on the transistor block. Hoping within a year, the 14nm method x part for specific henries/ohms/farads/etc has been finely tuned to where they don't need to build unnecessarily large or incorrect spec with a workaround.
This is why the architecture itself, while nearly unchanged in function, is actually not all that identical. Kind of like a subdivision of homes, and one architect provided 3 plans to mass produce homes. Well, within each home of the same tier, the outlets, doors, plumping, fixtures, paint, etc are all very different. If you rework the design enough, the layout no longer is identical to the house next door with the same square footing. Odd analogy, but I hope that makes sense.
And yes, I know marketing yada yada, how they like to claim every codename is a brand new architecture, but no, they aren't, just reworked, sometimes slightly, sometimes considerably.

What's actually impressive about the whole topic to me. Given enough resources, a theoretical 100nm CPU die can be optimized to the point of matching the performance, power consumption/TDP of a 1nm CPU die with the current state of technology.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
based on early benchmarks kaby doesnt offer much over skylake and any improvement there is is due solely to higher stock clock speeds. if you dont want to wait up to 3 months, you might as well build the pc with a 6700k, especially if you have a microcenter nearby.

Higher clock speeds are a big deal if for gaming.

Then again, an i7 is already overkill for gaming.

Anyway, the 7700k is the first chip that will probably outperform the 4790k for gaming. It's the first chip that's had me even consider upgrading.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
Higher clock speeds are a big deal if for gaming.

Then again, an i7 is already overkill for gaming.

Anyway, the 7700k is the first chip that will probably outperform the 4790k for gaming. It's the first chip that's had me even consider upgrading.

the 4.6 or 4.7 vs the 4.8-9 that seems average for skylake vs kaby respectively isnt going to make much of a difference. i may upgrade to a 6700k simply because its so cheap, but well see. a few games are making it look like an i7 is the bare minimum nowadays, but a they also seem to be poorly optimized.