Line Science

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I am still holding out hope for Hossa. COME-on medical science. I NEED THE HOSS BACK!

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am still holding out hope for Hossa. COME-on medical science. I NEED THE HOSS BACK!

I am moving forward assuming he is gone.

I think the dead money contracts, the league reaction, and having years to talk about it behind closed doors led to this at least in part.

Maybe there is more to the diabolical plan...like him returning before playoffs, or taking a year off, but its complicated to talk about with the NHL investigating.

I'd just leave it alone and plan for life without him, if he returns obviously ice pounding with sticks all around.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Interesting FA's brought in. Based on Q and acquisitions, the best I can make of a likely line-up is like this....(gritty, blackhawk, prideful hockey)

Saad-Toews-Panik
Smaltz/Hayden-AA-Kane
Hartman-Kero-Sharp
Bouma-Wingels-Tootoo/Smaltz/Hayden

Thats pretty tight before you start talking about Fortin, Jurco, Hino even so those are my top 3 to watch in pre-season.

Its that 2C position that baffles me, with hartman options for either also. The defense will be bigger, younger, and faster. Better? Lets be hopeful and patient, it may just take time to gel.

1. Keith 1b. Murphy

2. Seabrook 2b. Kempny/Rutta competition to watch.

3. Kempny/Rutta 3b. Rozy

gus, pokka, butcher, sved, Forsling, Oesterle, Jokiharu could all disrupt the ladder if they show just about anything.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's gonna be a strange interesting year.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I am moving forward assuming he is gone.

I think the dead money contracts, the league reaction, and having years to talk about it behind closed doors led to this at least in part.

Maybe there is more to the diabolical plan...like him returning before playoffs, or taking a year off, but its complicated to talk about with the NHL investigating.

I'd just leave it alone and plan for life without him, if he returns obviously ice pounding with sticks all around.

I also think the playoff run is a possibility, and that is why the NHL is taking so long to consider that money off the cap. Dollars dont matter in the playoffs so adding him then is a possibility, but I still think that one million dollars is just not enough for Hossas desire to overcome. Its a confusing number since the Hawks have this 3.625 hit the following three seasons but Hoss is only being paid one million.

It also would have been better if this condition was public knowledge before now. All I think of is Hoss loved the game so much he dealt with this for 20 plus years. It would be a little different knowing this was the case all along.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can't imagine Oesterle making the team. I'm just thinking of the guys that we have tried in the Rozy role, and with Rozy healthy to boot I see no shot or reason to make the roster.

I actually think we have been too generous with Kempny's chances. Rutta likely is the top 4 guy. Kempny, Forsling, Gus, Pokka, Rozy, trade market after Hossa dollars, and then next summer the college FA's, or in any case...anything is possible 4-6.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Ruta is righty.. I don't know how many years of Q being rigid when he can with handedness doesn't get it clear. Kempny and Forsling are the behind Keith mainly locks and Oesterle/gus will compete for that or for first call up or 7/8th d man spot.

And Ruuta was okay in the Czech league. I don't get how anything leads one to think anything about him means top 4... based on literally nothing. At least Kempny was good in the actual khl for a year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ruta is righty.. I don't know how many years of Q being rigid when he can with handedness doesn't get it clear. Kempny and Forsling are the behind Keith mainly locks and Oesterle/gus will compete for that or for first call up or 7/8th d man spot.

And Ruuta was okay in the Czech league. I don't get how anything leads one to think anything about him means top 4... based on literally nothing. At least Kempny was good in the actual khl for a year.

so I'm reading I should Panik?

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
I still think the Cody Franson rumor has potential. Hes still unsigned

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

I really thought that was all because Hammer could not play the left side anymore. Thats why I gave TVR so much credit these past years because he always had a different partner and had to play off hand if he played with Hammer. He will just be another defender if Arizona forces him to the left side.

It would also be nice for Rosie to take a retirement package. The hawks had to keep him available for the expansion draft, now he should ride off to the sunset.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Between Franson and Murphy we might have a big upgrade in grit and physical activity.

Keith Murphy
Seabrooke Kempny/Forsling/Pokka
Franson Rozy/Kempny/Forsling/Rutta/Pokka/Gus

I have high hopes for Murphy and Franson!! TVR is gone but we can shake the tree and find something better. Main thing is Keith and Seabrooke need to rebound.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Between Franson and Murphy we might have a big upgrade in grit and physical activity.

Keith Murphy
Seabrooke Kempny/Forsling/Pokka
Franson Rozy/Kempny/Forsling/Rutta/Pokka/Gus

I have high hopes for Murphy and Franson!! TVR is gone but we can shake the tree and find something better. Main thing is Keith and Seabrooke need to rebound.
Except... Franson still hasn't even confirmed the tryout yet right?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Except... Franson still hasn't even confirmed the tryout yet right?

He is our 2nd pairing insurance, 3rd pairing anchor....

we needed it and we got him. Our lines are now much more physical. Hopefully we can push teams out of the zone now instead of blocking relentless pucks with our faces.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I also think the playoff run is a possibility, and that is why the NHL is taking so long to consider that money off the cap. Dollars dont matter in the playoffs so adding him then is a possibility, but I still think that one million dollars is just not enough for Hossas desire to overcome. Its a confusing number since the Hawks have this 3.625 hit the following three seasons but Hoss is only being paid one million.

It also would have been better if this condition was public knowledge before now. All I think of is Hoss loved the game so much he dealt with this for 20 plus years. It would be a little different knowing this was the case all along.

It's not that confusing, actually. If a player with a recapture risk contract retires, The cap penalty is the cap advantage granted to the team based on the net salary in the remaining years, minus the net cap hit in the remaining years, averaged over the remaining years.

In Hossa's case:
His cap hit and salary are the same throughout...so he's paid 1M. His cap hit is 5.275M. Thus 5.275M - 1M is 4.275M. Since the numbers are the same throughout, he retires any time in the next 4 seasons and the 'hawks take a 4.275M ding.

Keith's is much more complicated. In each year Keith's cap hit is $5,538,462, and he has 6 years left. In the following 6 years, he'll make in actual salary:

5M
4M
3.5M
2.65M
2.1M
1.5M

Now, through the next 6 years he'll make 33M and change. Each year making 5.538M less. So it works out as follows (approximately):

this year: 2.413M recapture if he retires
Next: 3.118M
3: 3.1M
4: 3.453M
5: 3.735M
6: 4.038M

Thus meaning the longer he plays (if his play hits a sharp decline) the worse it is *if* he retires.

~~~

As for Hoss, I think he's done but we don't know. We're speculating. Topping Mikita is possible and would be a good feather in his cap, but who knows.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Franson does not appear on the roster or depth chart. Where are u getting this Franson info? Looks like his PTO was a bust.

Edit: Or maybe they are waiting until Hossa goes on LTIR to officially sign him and add to roster?

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Franson does not appear on the roster or depth chart. Where are u getting this Franson info? Looks like his PTO was a bust.

Edit: Or maybe they are waiting until Hossa goes on LTIR to officially sign him and add to roster?

I think that's what's happening...here's hoping it's not a King's Ransom

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:

Offseason depth charts aren't much to go on.

Especially when it's clear from camp, preseason, etc only 1 line so far is set in stone and 1 d pair. Who Seabs is really gotta start out with isn't even clear, because if Ruuta makes the top 6 he may pair with Kempny leaving Seabs the other LD who makes it and that's unknown.