OT: Is Grant Hill a HOF?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
So, I was just watching an NBA open court where they talked about how great Grant Hill was and how he was supposed to lead the NBA post MJ. I did not realize how insanely popular he was when he entered the league. Led all star voting in his first year. I am a Duke fan and know of his greatness there, so I shouldnt be surprised of his popularity, but still, pretty impressive. The guy was an absolute stud both ways until his ankle problems. My question is he Hall worthy? I found an article that uses some metrics and breaks him down a little. The article says he isnt a lock, but they see him getting in. Opinions? 7 time all star, All NBA first and second teams, '96 Olympic gold medalist. He has tons of things that make you think he is worth an enshrining. His Fila shoe was my favorite sneaker of all time when I used to ball. Loved that shit.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1659138-detroit-pistons-is-grant-hill-a-hall-of-famer

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
he largely surpasses what one would need to qualify, so yes.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
If only basing it on his NBA career, he's not a lock for first ballot, but makes it. This is where people forget that the Naismith Hall of Fame isn't limited to pros. Then you add Duke and he was on DT3. That is why he is a first ballot.

But yeah, Grant Hill was the hyped player in that draft. Big Dog had a hot-streak in the tourney and Milwaukee was okay with Vin Baker and Todd Day, which totally screwed the draft order. Dallas already had Jack and Mash. If the balls fell differently, Hill is getting picked #1 with every other team.

Grant Hill drinks sprite, yo. If you played team/pick-up ball in the 90s, you don't catch many days where someone didn't say that after somebody boinked a dunk.

edit for clip.
[video=youtube;zbavu2Al-ME]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbavu2Al-ME[/video]

Last edited:

Benchmob757

Liked Posts:
He's definitely a Hall of Famer. It really doesn't take that much to get in the Hall, I'd be shocked if he didn't get in.

AussieBear

good question.. idk... i did have those fila low cut hill 1 and mid hill 2's.. injuries derailed him for sure... though he was a piano playing dukie.. he did have a lil mean streak in him and then would dunk through and ova you til said ankle.. ask alonzo.. he could play..

[video=youtube;AuS2oJsVjeE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuS2oJsVjeE[/video]

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I really wish the NBA had a HOF separate from the basketball HOF.

Because it's the basketball HOF, he's almost for sure a first ballot HOFer

If there was hypothetically just an NBA HOF, I still think he'd probably be in the HOF, but not first ballot.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
If they HOF was just the NBA HOF I could see him getting the Gale Sayers treatment of sorts.

I think he for sure get's in someday given that the Gold Medal and his college career can be taken into account.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Obviously first ballot. Perhaps people aren't familiar with the Basketball HOF...Hill is in even if he never played in the NBA. One of the greatest NCAA players ever.

Plus he's a "nice guy" so there's really not much keeping him out.

The basketball HOF is such a clusterfuck.

I really, really wish there was just an NBA HOF.

Reactions: BNB

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Obviously first ballot. Perhaps people aren't familiar with the Basketball HOF...Hill is in even if he never played in the NBA. One of the greatest NCAA players ever.

By that same logic, shouldn't have (Grant's college teammate) Christian Laettnar been a shoe-in as well?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
By that same logic, shouldn't have (Grant's college teammate) Christian Laettnar been a shoe-in as well?

If some AI for NBA2K had to decide this, yes. The human equation comes into play here, where those who decide can see how Laettner was a fluke at best compared to other hall-worthy players.