Cubs pitching 2017 and beyond

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I have never thought Arrieta was coming back for 2018 and I don't think the FO has either. A trade will be made eventually.

I don't think the fO really thinks that way. Basically i think they will say this is what we can extend you for. Assuming he doesn't take that he will go to FA. Maybe he like say Hammel doesn't get what he expect and maybe like Fowler the cubs are willing to return to him. If he does get that money then good on him I suppose. That being said, I still don't love the idea of him walking for nothing.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
He will walk. The Cubs will use him through the 2017 playoffs and there will be no trade

I don't think Arrieta will be traded but I do think we'll trade for a pitcher either at the deadline or next offseason. Plus besides Arrieta Yu Darvish will be available and Johnny Cueto is likely to opt out of his deal. I don't see resigning Arrieta as critical.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I don't think Arrieta will be traded but I do think we'll trade for a pitcher either at the deadline or next offseason. Plus besides Arrieta Yu Darvish will be available and Johnny Cueto is likely to opt out of his deal. I don't see resigning Arrieta as critical.

Those are two nice chips on the table. If Jake has a great year I'd put him ahead of Yu (injruy history) and behind Johnny. Do you think the Cubs are ready to give either of those guys 5-7 year deals?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pay the man....or you will pay a different not as good not as hard working man the same.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Pay the man....or you will pay a different not as good not as hard working man the same.
It's the back end of the deal that Theo objects to and will prevent Airetta from coming back. This is the reason he has signed 12 pitchers in the offseason and is holding a few trade chips

It's all or nothing with Airetta this year then goodbye

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
If they can afford Heyward, they can afford Jake. Sounds pretty simple to me, 35 million in 18 and 19, 30 in 20-22, 25 in 23 and 24. By that time top pitchers will be making 40 million too.

dont want to pay the extra, then give him 20 as a signing bonus.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
7 years puts him at Lackey's age. At 15 mil per that is a good contract at that age.

To achieve that they would have to front load. Say they gave 50 mil in a bonus which would put the deal at 7/150 mil. At that point they could do 2018 20 mil then 2019-2022 30 mil per. 2022-23 15 mil each.

Now they will never do this. A 4 year deal is more realistic where they could avg 30 mil per which is a better budget and gets off the books when Russell and Bryant are at lock up points.

They traded for Butler for a reason and he looks like he may become a solid MOR option. Best case is he becomes a option with Montgomery. At that point you are looking at 1 guy with a track record to stablize the end of the rotation.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Jake wants Scherzer money 7/210

I like Arrieta but at age 32 in 2018, there no way i want to see Epstein tie him up for 7 years even if he has a cy young season this year.

Just hate to chance paying a guy 25-30 per at ages 35-38
when odds are high that their performance will be declining.

They have multiple trade chips, I'd rather take my chances there to add a younger TOR type starter in 2018.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk