IGT: Hawks at Blues 1/2 Winter Classic

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That game was as depressing as the weather here today.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Passing has gone to shit.... every fucking pass now is bobbled or turned over
This post is about 3 years too late.
I have to keep coming back to the lack of depth on this team. At some point, you have to score to win some games. Losing Hossa and some other minor injuries have hurt, but the lack of depth is becoming concerning. Luckily, Blackhawks have had a solid first half of the season and have some time to figure things out. Can't be a one line team in this league. Take a look at CBJ, Pit, Min, NYR, etc and you will see how solid their depth is this year. CBJ is just mind-blowing when you take a look at it. Still have to play defense and get timely goaltending but Blackhawks have never really lacked depth up front like they are this year. Wouldn't mind seeing Stan make a move earlier than the deadline (cap permitting) to get some stuff going early.
Nyess....Depth is the issue when it was depth that was the only one who bothered to show up on the O, while meanwhile our core completely took the afternoon off. IMHO depth isn't going to matter until Toews, Kane, Keith, Seabrook, and Hjalmarsson start to climb on board.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They simply got out-worked thoroughly in that game. The Blues were the much better team.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This post is about 3 years too late.

I've been bitching about their passing going to shit for 3+ years.... it is fine in some games and then suddenly the entire team goes to shit, can't pass well, cannot receive passes well.... its like they all come off a Meth high and get the shakes as they slip into withdrawal.

I don't understand why their passing game in particular is so incredibly streaky

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I've been bitching about their passing going to shit for 3+ years.... it is fine in some games and then suddenly the entire team goes to shit, can't pass well, cannot receive passes well.... its like they all come off a Meth high and get the shakes as they slip into withdrawal.

I don't understand why their passing game in particular is so incredibly streaky
A-fucking-men. You's think for what we're paying our guys they'd be closer to the Harlem Globetrotters than Star Wars Imperial Stormtroopers, who couldn't hit the broadside of Rosie O'donnel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
A-fucking-men. You's think for what we're paying our guys they'd be closer to the Harlem Globetrotters than Star Wars Imperial Stormtroopers, who couldn't hit the broadside of Rosie O'donnel.

It is even more frustrating in the playoffs when you watch our opponents picking passes 6-12 inches off the ice out of the air in stride and skating into our zone.

I mean Kane/Panarin manage that on occasion, but the entire team does not pass at this level on any regular basis.... and our PP seems to rely on making at least 5-10 gr8 passes.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Also, a bit related, it was good to see Carbomb out there in the Alumni game... especially if he didn't have the longest career for us, and it was cut short.... buuuut for St. Louis to roll gretzky and his fucking 18 games out there with Brodueur and his fucking 7 games is a god damn fucking catastrophy.... I'm not saying they were game changers or whatever, but couldn't they find any better "ALUMNI" than guys who didn't even unpack. Does St. Louis really not have enough people would would want to play in that game.... I mean shit... didn't the Hawks roll out Bannerman,Mulvey, O'callahan, What a shitstorm that thing was.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Also, a bit related, it was good to see Carbomb out there in the Alumni game... especially if he didn't have the longest career for us, and it was cut short.... buuuut for St. Louis to roll gretzky and his fucking 18 games out there with Brodueur and his fucking 7 games is a god damn fucking catastrophy.... I'm not saying they were game changers or whatever, but couldn't they find any better "ALUMNI" than guys who didn't even unpack. Does St. Louis really not have enough people would would want to play in that game.... I mean shit... didn't the Hawks roll out Bannerman,Mulvey, O'callahan, What a shitstorm that thing was.
lol Carbomb played more games for us in his last season than both those guys combined

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
lol Carbomb played more games for us in his last season than both those guys combined
Exactly, the hawks rolled out 60 year olds and they are running guys with 25 games combined. This is going far beyond made for tv bullshit. Not that it had meaning but I still think it would be meaningful for some of the guys whose spot they are taking.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Really the Hawks had a ton of young guys still in their 30s... I mean, they were all NHL career 4th liners but they were the best skaters there besides the legendary Daze his skillz.

Though the Blues had Jackman, only retired because nobody wanted him this season.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
Never thought I would hear people complaining about having to watch the greatest player of all time and one of the greatest goalies of all time in an exhibition game that is put on for the fans and doesn't matter one bit...

Clyde is right - Blackhawks had plenty of guys that still had legs under them compared to most of those players.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Never thought I would hear people complaining about having to watch the greatest player of all time and one of the greatest goalies of all time in an exhibition game that is put on for the fans and doesn't matter one bit...

Clyde is right - Blackhawks had plenty of guys that still had legs under them compared to most of those players.
I'm just complaining because the corpsefuckers for NHLN played the IIHF and NBCSN played fucking POKER (and not the welching on a bet in a bad neighborhood which would actually qualify it as a sport), ergo I couldn't watch.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:

it's kinda lame though cause Gretzky is a noshow in these, he doesn't skate enough regularly so he was bad here and bad in the Edmonton game where after it he said he may never do it again.

And hell, Chris Mason, who is younger still than "fatso" but retired probably around 2012 had more life as a netminder out there.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:

So you are complaining about people who are complaining about a game that doesn't matter at all, congrats. I hope they thanked the Blues profusely in their hall of fame speeches for everything they did propel their career inn the couple of months they were there. I mean since it's for the fans why didn't we roll out Phil Housley. And call up Hasek. Drag out Doug Gilmour and Eddie Belfour.... you know for the fans. Next year to make sure we win one of these god damn worthless games let's sign a bunch of guys to one day contracts then release them so they are eligible.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I couldn't watch the alumni game but I saw a tweet that said Kyle Calder set up Eric Daze for a goal (or perhaps the other way around) and the 14-year-old in me went crazy. Loved those guys, even if the Hawks teams they played on were largely terrible.

And, c'mon: it is kinda ridiculous that a Blues alumni game includes guys that played half a season or less with the franchise. Next time the Hawks should trot out Paul Coffey and Bobby Orr! For my money, though, the most ridiculous presence at that game was Chris Pronger, considering he's still on LTIR with the Arizona Coyotes in the most blatant exploitation of the salary cap I've seen in a while.

Also, please, for the love of fuck, get some new teams in these games. The Blues (and Busch Stadium) were great choices. But the Hawks don't need to do these games next year. There are plenty of other teams and other venues that should be explored.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I couldn't watch the alumni game but I saw a tweet that said Kyle Calder set up Eric Daze for a goal (or perhaps the other way around) and the 14-year-old in me went crazy. Loved those guys, even if the Hawks teams they played on were largely terrible.

And, c'mon: it is kinda ridiculous that a Blues alumni game includes guys that played half a season or less with the franchise. Next time the Hawks should trot out Paul Coffey and Bobby Orr! For my money, though, the most ridiculous presence at that game was Chris Pronger, considering he's still on LTIR with the Arizona Coyotes in the most blatant exploitation of the salary cap I've seen in a while.

Also, please, for the love of fuck, get some new teams in these games. The Blues (and Busch Stadium) were great choices. But the Hawks don't need to do these games next year. There are plenty of other teams and other venues that should be explored.

A-Fucking-Men!

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
While I think everyone is getting "tired" of the Blackhawks playing in these (we are really, really spoiled as fans to be honest) the NHL is all about ratings and the Blackhawks are a team that gets them right now. There aren't many other teams in the league that will draw the numbers like the Blackhawks will.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl-wi...away-centennial-classic-on-nbc-232054650.html

We are spoiled with a good hockey team.... I don't think getting stuck in to the Winter Classic every year is us being spoiled.

They just keep trotting us out to be the away team at the Winter Classic every year because we draw ratings.... we get to be the bad guys that the home team valiantly defeats year after year.

If our guys actually played well in the Winter Classic, actually appeared to enjoy it, then maybe I would feel different.... but year after year we just keep trotting the Hawks out for the Winter Classic right around their yearly slump, so the home crowd can get excited about beating up the big bad Hawks.

I agree with DMelt.... go do it at other cool venues and stop making the Hawks be in it every single year.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
We are spoiled with a good hockey team.... I don't think getting stuck in to the Winter Classic every year is us being spoiled.

They just keep trotting us out to be the away team at the Winter Classic every year because we draw ratings.... we get to be the bad guys that the home team valiantly defeats year after year.

If our guys actually played well in the Winter Classic, actually appeared to enjoy it, then maybe I would feel different.... but year after year we just keep trotting the Hawks out for the Winter Classic right around their yearly slump, so the home crowd can get excited about beating up the big bad Hawks.

I agree with DMelt.... go do it at other cool venues and stop making the Hawks be in it every single year.
Exactly, it was great and special and a sight to behold when it was at Wrigley against a then conference opponent of Detroit... If I remember correctly we still got stomped but they at least looked to have fun doing it. Now it's just an over saturated made for TV mess that no one really care about. I might have even ended up watching more of the alumni game than this one... (that was mostly circumstances though). They have at least 2 of these a year now now right? And they've run out of gimmicks... I'd love to see them do one outdoors in Florida or phoenix. California, something... haha.