Nick Markakis anyone?

Liked Posts:
I understand that our outfield may already be set as it is, but like Theo and Jed, I as a fan am always looking at ways for our team to potentially improve.

Looking at this outfield, I still see something to be desired offensively, depending on how much Heyward bounces back from career worsts in just about every category with the bat in 2016. And we should also be well aware of the adventure that Schwarber could potentially become in left.

In Atlanta, Nick Markakis is coming off a 2016 campaign in which he made a major bounceback in the power department, swatting 13 home runs after hitting just three in his debut season with the Braves. He remains solid defensively and would seem to be Theo's type of player with that .358 career OBP. And at 33, he may be at the stage of his career where he'd be better suited as an extra outfielder on a contender than as a full-time player on a rebuilding ballclub like the Braves.

With two years left on his contract, obviously Atlanta would have to eat at least half of that $22 million reaming for a such a deal to take place...

Thoughts?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Where would he play? You're starting Heyward in RF and Schwarber in LF and Markakis can't play CF. And that's before you even talk about Zobrist and/or Bryant playing some in RF in order to get both them and Baez in the line up.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
A few things; first I'm not worried about this OF. I think Heyward will bounce back and at least give you the numbers Fowler did, if not the HRs. Beyond that they're already going to have a hard time getting PA for Baez and Zobrist. The other thing is Atlanta has no desire whatsoever to trade Markakis. They like their OF and are actually looking for depth there. I'm of the camp that the Braves are going to be better than anyone expects this year and next year could make enough moves to be a playoff team. If they're under .500 in July and Markakis is performing I could see them moving him, but I can also see them over .500 in July.

The other major point is why would the Cubs want him? The last 2 years he's been a 1.1 and 1.5 fWAR player and frankly I don't think any of the Cubs players that look to get major playing time are going to be worse than 1.1 WAR.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
This was not a well thought out thread

CSF77

Liked Posts:
They need to address the rotation long term more than trying to further log jam a OF.

So ya this thread is way out there.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

But it shows how the thinking really is with this organization. The people that used to preach wait for the kids are looking for ways to replace the kids. Already gave up on Soler. Still basically have Bryant, Zobrist and Schwarber to play the outfield, unless Heyward shits the bed again and they decide they want defense up the middle and start Heyward in Center (like they should have just done last year) The shot Almora might have had was put on the back burner with the Jay signing (8 million, they plan on him playing) and now Markakis is being brought up since its a bigger name. I am guessing it means trade Schwarber now. There are more options for 3 outfield spots than there are for 3 infield spots, but I am sure they will coddle stella again to keep him playing a few times a week too.

Find us a starter, its the only spot that should be being discussed.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
But it shows how the thinking really is with this organization. The people that used to preach wait for the kids are looking for ways to replace the kids. Already gave up on Soler. Still basically have Bryant, Zobrist and Schwarber to play the outfield, unless Heyward shits the bed again and they decide they want defense up the middle and start Heyward in Center (like they should have just done last year) The shot Almora might have had was put on the back burner with the Jay signing (8 million, they plan on him playing) and now Markakis is being brought up since its a bigger name. I am guessing it means trade Schwarber now. There are more options for 3 outfield spots than there are for 3 infield spots, but I am sure they will coddle stella again to keep him playing a few times a week too.

Find us a starter, its the only spot that should be being discussed.
exactly. pitching is the long term need with this team

Liked Posts:

Alright asshole, if this was a not well though-out thread then tell me...You think maybe, just maybe, through 33 games in we might just have been better off with Markakis leading off and playing left as opposed to Schwarber???

But I'm sure Schwarber is better at hooking up with chicks than Markakis, so that alone probably makes him the preferred choice among our fan base.

And you think maybe, just maybe, some A.L. team might have been willing to give us a boat load of value for Schwarber had we made the option available last winter? Kansas City gave us Wade Davis for Soler for Christ's sake...