OT: Top 100 NHL players of all-time

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Do you read Elliotte Friedman's weekly "30 thoughts" column on TSN? You probably should. Always a good look at news and rumors around the league.

This nugget comes from the last one (link here for the whole thing):

Apparently, there are six current NHLers on the top 100 list, to be fully revealed at All-Star Weekend. Five seem obvious: Sidney Crosby, Jaromir Jagr, Patrick Kane, Alexander Ovechkin, Jonathan Toews. So, who’s your sixth? Evgeni Malkin? Carey Price? Duncan Keith? (I do know one voter who picked him.) Jagr doesn’t have to play in the game, so I wondered if maybe it was Joe Thornton, given the same consideration because he’s 37. We’ll find out in a little over two weeks.

Six active players in the all-time 100 NHLers of all-time. Who ya got?

Crosby, Ovechkin and Jagr seem like locks to me. I think Kane is far more likely to be on their Toews, although knowing that this list was assembled by a lot of old Canadian media members, I think Toews will get put on it. Does he deserve it? I'd probably lean toward a no. Keith more deserving, IMO. Two other active players I'd consider are Iginla and Lundqvist.

What say you, CCS?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Doughty, omg, and Thornton I like. Big Joe maybe doesn't have the goals, but his impact and assists I think might be near top 100 consideration. I doubt there are 100 guys with more assists than Thornton, and the same will be said about Kane one day.

Keith is in mine. And Toews before Ovi for me. Ovi just gets knocked too far down for not winning in the World OR professionally. He may have been off the hook in Washington, but at the international level he had his teams with enough talent and he wasn't able to supply the magic.
Toews might have had Crosby, but he also has the hardware.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The hardware that Toews and Keith have are top 100. That is fact.

With only 6 current players in, I don't know that any current Hawks made it. Do we know for sure that any did?

I'm partly being facetious with Ovi.

Obviously Crosby, Ovi, are in.

After that I don't know. For me, Keith is the man. But Kane and Toews are special generation level players unique in their way, with flaws in their games but elite at aspects of the game at a top of the league level. Its having the three of them plus Hossa plus a goalie plus a Seabs and plus a Hammer and then plus a bunch of role players willing to give it their everything. It doesn't matter if Kane or Keith haven't made it yet, I think by the time they retire they will have.