Boxing trivia

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Who is the last Chicagoan, born and raised, to win a major boxing title?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I have no idea.

I was surfing BoxRec ( http://boxrec.com/ )for a bit, and had a hard time finding much, if any Chicago representation. There might be, without exaggeration, 500 New York City boxers that crack the pros for every one Chicagoan.

Burrberry

Liked Posts:
David Diaz 10 years ago to the best of my recollection. He ended up losing it to Manny Pacquiao. To this day he's held up as "The one" in Chicago boxing gyms even though he only held the belt for about 8 months.
[video=youtube;gCChtgXmxgM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCChtgXmxgM[/video]

You are right Chicago doesn't really pump that much pro talent out. A lot of them get burned either by life or the street life. So much discipline is involved in the sport. You have to give it 100% in this sport or you're not even cooking, much less about to win a strap off of somebody. Not only do you have to dedicate your life to the sport, but you need the right guidance as well to go anywhere, not only in your personal life, but in the gyms as well. Lot of 1-dimensional and complete bullshit teacher's out here.

Two of the most promising guys have died within the last 5 years. Omar Henry was lost to cancer. He had made it all the way out to Vegas as a Mayweather sparring partner which is nothing to sneeze at. We lost Ed Brown this past to December to gun violence. He was looking mean as a prospect and was poised to start getting fights outside of the city. I'm glad I got to see him in person. There's a few prospects hanging around, one of my friends was 3rd in the national Ams at Heavyweight and won Chicago gold gloves. Another one of my friends went pro over a year ago after winning the gloves. Overall the outlook isn't that impressive though.