Bears odds-on favorites to sign Tony Romo

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why would having a walking corpse prevent a team from drafting a QB with their top pick?

It wouldn't. Pace all but said he won't pick #3 for need just because of need. Only if they value one that high. If he doesn't, he won't. Still gotta make something happen in the meantime. Talentwise, he'd be the best FA (or live with Cutty) or some backup for one more year which wouldn't necc. be aweful if it doesn't get the staff fired.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
How many times has he broken his back again?

Pace would have to be a slobbering idiot to sign Romo as anything other than a bridge to a rookie.

Well, that may very well be what he is considering. If there's simply no prospect he feels will be worth a shit, maybe he goes with Romo to bridge the gap for anther year. Or maybe he does draft a rookie he feels needs to sit a while.

I wouldn't read too much into it at this point, if only speculation. But if he surprises us and signs Romo, I would take that as a sign he doesn't like the draft options, and who could blame him?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
lmao..This is rich. Don't get me wrong..Romo is better than Cutler when healthy, but we're gonna go from an oft injured qb to another injured qb? go from an expensive qb to another expensive qb?

If Romo costs draft picks, forget it.
If Romo thinks he should get a high salary, forget it.

The only way it makes even a morsel of sense is if he gets cut, and he signs relatively cheap. His age and injury history do not put him in a great bargaining position.

That being said, he would last three weeks behind our line.

BP348

Liked Posts:
Ok, for a second, let's play with this.

Romo was the ultimate team player this year. Said the right things and did the right things. What if they signed Romo AND drafted a QB at three? Couldn't they tell Romo that hes being paid to coach and mentor a draft pick? Is that really so bad? Couldn't our FO office promise to let him start the season while the rookie continues to develop? And if hes playing well and the team is winning couldn't they let him keep starting?

I know we have a ton of cap and the newish rookie wage scale will help us greatly. Romo plus a QB at #3 seems like a decent idea. Decent.

If they draft a QB at #3 it needs to be someone that's going to start. Pretty sure Romo has already said he wants to go somewhere where he'll start. So I doubt he'll come to the Bears to be a mentor/coach and not be the starting QB. If Pace doesn't think there's a QB that can start at #3 then they definitely need to pick BPA who will make an immediate impact.

Plus, I'd personally rather have Tyrod Taylor or even AJ McCarron over Tony Romo if they're going to get an experienced QB. Romo is to injury prone anymore and the Bears O-Line won't protect him they way he needs to be protected.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I can't speak to his current cap situation but if Romo was a free agent, I'd sign him in a heartbeat, provided that it doesn't change the Bears intentions to draft a QB early in the upcoming draft.

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:

Why would the Bears sign Tony Romo? They have Jay Cutler . . .

. . . It is astounding to the shoopster how few people can see that the Bears are going to let the furor die down here n the offseason and then slip Cutler back under center next year.

Bear fans won't get the seemingly annual "Jay is a new man" PR onslaught this offseason. Instead, the Bears will say - and do - nothing, and then proclaim Cutler the best available option. This team is terrified of making a big decision; after being forced into the dreadful diversion of Matt Barclay, Cutler is the easy - and safe - default.

The Cutler purgatory - which appeared earlier this season as if it may finally be over - is in fact going to continue.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I can't speak to his current cap situation but if Romo was a free agent, I'd sign him in a heartbeat, provided that it doesn't change the Bears intentions to draft a QB early in the upcoming draft.

If Dallas cuts him they save 5.1, 16.3, and 20.5 mil over the next three years (pre-June 1st cut) or 14 mil the first year and the same for the remaining if it's post-June 1st. They're going into the offseason 6.17 in the red as far as cap space is concerned, so they're going to have to trim some fat somewhere to the tune of 16 mil in order to clear room for the rookie pool. And that's with only 47 players under contract, so they're deep in the shit.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
If Romo costs draft picks, forget it.
If Romo thinks he should get a high salary, forget it.

The only way it makes even a morsel of sense is if he gets cut, and he signs relatively cheap. His age and injury history do not put him in a great bargaining position.

That being said, he would last three weeks behind our line.

Our O-line was pretty damn good this year. This isn't 2010.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'll take a QB in the 2017 draft Pat..."ding, ding, ding"

Pat: look at that there are 3 rounds to take a QB

I would like to solve the puzzle please.

Pat: Ok

"Fuck no, to Tony Romo!"

Last edited:

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Isn't his base salary $25m next year. No way Jerry releases or trades him when the $20m cap penalty is so punitive. Not a chance.

EbonyRaptor

Liked Posts:
The Bears are not a QB away from being a contender, probably not even a playoff team. Therefore they should not spend more cap space and whatever assets Dallas would want in a trade to acquire Romo. If Romo were 28 with no injury history - ok, but he's old and proven he can't make it through a season therefore he would be a waste of cap space and assets. If you want an injury plagued QB to bridge the 2017 season - you save cap space and assets just keeping Cutler.

The Bears have to build other areas of the team for the long term. They should draft at least one if not two QBs and use the cap space to get a couple top level free agents - like a cornerback and a safety.

As a die hard Bears fan I would be fine with going 3-13 again if the free agency and the draft are done right with the long term plan in mind.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
This will never happen. His salary is too high. His health is too low. His value is overrated. He will cost draft picks. However it be fun to watch when the Bears are on Hardknocks this year.

85Bears

Formerly known as 85Bears
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cutler purgatory - which appeared earlier this season as if it may finally be over - is in fact going to continue.

I'm fine with that as long as they draft a QB at 3 to develop for the year. They're not going anywhere next season anyway, so who cares. As long as our future franchise QB is on the roster and being developed, I think Cutler makes more sense than Romo for one more year.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Well, that may very well be what he is considering. If there's simply no prospect he feels will be worth a shit, maybe he goes with Romo to bridge the gap for anther year. Or maybe he does draft a rookie he feels needs to sit a while.

I wouldn't read too much into it at this point, if only speculation. But if he surprises us and signs Romo, I would take that as a sign he doesn't like the draft options, and who could blame him?

As a inexperienced GM, he ( and what ever scouting dept. we have) needs to find and groom a darn Qb.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Not sure why anyone thinks this makes sense. Pace's entire tenure has been about building through the draft and getting younger. Not signing oft injured, old QBs when we already have one. The article is nothing more then click bait.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Our O-line was pretty damn good this year. This isn't 2010.

Pretty damn good, as compared to our previous O Lines.

Look at the pass protection from our line, and then look atbplayoff trams. See the difference.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
The best thing that could happen is the Bears go get Romo, draft Trubisky/Kizer at #3 and bring back Hoyer.

That creates a heck of a competition in camp, surrounds the rookie with two very good veteran QB's who he can learn from and you also don't have to send your rookie out there week 1.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why would Romo prevent you from drafting a QB at #3?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Isn't his base salary $25m next year. No way Jerry releases or trades him when the $20m cap penalty is so punitive. Not a chance.
His base is $14,000,000. His already paid bonuses proration is $10,700,000. His cap hit if on the team($24,700,000),and if cut ($19,600,000). So JJ saves $14M in real money and $5.1M vs the cap if he cuts Romo. Romo may be attractive in a trade with someone, but it isn't likely. They would get him for $14M next year, which would be cheap if he can stay healthy, but his base shoots up to $19.5M and $20.5M the following years. Those aren't bargains for an old injury prone QB.