What happens when our FA/ rookie QB

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
What happens when our rookie QB has that horrible game or 2 or 4 that most young guys do. You guys jumped off the Barkley bandwagon after only his 6th start when he put a few stinkers together. So is that what will happen again? It takes a QB (young or not)about 20 games in a system to master said system. Will Bear fans give a rookie the time it takes? You did not with Barkley. This thread is NOT about Barkley and I only use him as a example because he is basically a rookie that you gave up on after only 6 games. So why will things be different with a different rookie? I just hope you guys will back whatever QB we end up with, more then just 6 games. I hope you will give him a full season or more before quitting on him. FA or drafted QB it will take 20 games to know what we have. I question if a young QB can be mentored and improved with such a harsh fan base trashing him daily. All pro athletes check around to see what is being said about them, none admit it. So how many games will the new guy get before you quit on him?

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Much like anything else, people will be patient for players they want to be patient for. If you were a fan before and wanted that player on the team, you're going to be more patient with him. Especially if the Bears take a QB at #3. Unlike Barkley, who went later in the draft, and probably wasn't on anyone's radar on this board. People are gonna be slightly more biased towards the guys they debated should be the guy for months on end.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
I think Cutty is the only QB in my memory that most Bear fans gave proper time.

Enasic

Liked Posts:

No, Bears fans gave him too much time.

I think, especially this crop of QBs, they need at least 2 seasons of starting play to really get a great idea. They'll all give us hints and certain intuitive leanings, but I think they all need time. If they look rough around the edges after 1 season, I think that's really what everyone should expect. Doesn't mean they won't pan out...but obviously means they will need a lot more work.

Liked Posts:
What happens when our rookie QB has that horrible game or 2 or 4 that most young guys do. You guys jumped off the Barkley bandwagon after only his 6th start when he put a few stinkers together. So is that what will happen again? It takes a QB (young or not)about 20 games in a system to master said system. Will Bear fans give a rookie the time it takes? You did not with Barkley. This thread is NOT about Barkley and I only use him as a example because he is basically a rookie that you gave up on after only 6 games. So why will things be different with a different rookie? I just hope you guys will back whatever QB we end up with, more then just 6 games. I hope you will give him a full season or more before quitting on him. FA or drafted QB it will take 20 games to know what we have. I question if a young QB can be mentored and improved with such a harsh fan base trashing him daily. All pro athletes check around to see what is being said about them, none admit it. So how many games will the new guy get before you quit on him?

I don't see a QB prospect in this draft outside of Kaaya, that should even think about taking a snap for a full year, let alone worry over consecutive bad performances. Besides if the Bears do the right thing & take Kaaya in the third or later. If that happens the Bears will be getting a steal. I would have loved to have been able to see how Kaaya would have fared if more than just one of his teammates, had upside in something other than insurance sales.. The Kid had an even worse team around then he did in the season & yet lead Miami to an improvement in the W-L column while also being in another new offensive system. If Kaaya even had half of the talent that Watson or Kizer had. I believe that Kaaya is going to end up the best QB from this class, & I really hope he is a Bear after the draft.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
kaaya 3rd and Peterman 5th might be interesting and resigning Hoyer.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
One of Mahomes/Watson/Kizer in the 2nd and I'll be happy. I think 1 of them will be there. I think Trubisky goes #2 to SF...

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Barkley is a practice squad quality player on his 3rd team. Using him as an example to gauge potential reactions of a QB with talent is idiotic.

Got to agree. With Barkley we saw limitations (high throws, turnovers) that comformed to what we expected to see out of a guy signed off the PS. Now if he'd started off like that and then shown the development and finished with the moxie he showed in the first couple of games, then maybe we'd be intrigued to see more.

Essentially no one had any expectations of Barkley and critically no emotional investment in him because he cost nothing. A new QB that involves us giving up draft capital is going to get more time from everyone. Just human nature. Plus, he'll be in a different league to Barkley.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

I was down on Barkley because he has a slow windup/release and his passes seem to take way too long to get where they're going. That doesn't go away.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

My guess is we will know within a game or two if the new QB is the answer, seem about right?

Space Invader

Dorkchop
Liked Posts:

To quote David Lee Roth on Van Halen's 1984 album; the song "Jump", you've got to roll with the punches to get to what's real.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Proper?? How about 5 years to many. You were the #1 hard on for Barkley from his 1st start, and you were wrong! After a half ass decent start, he morphed in to he is, Barkley.

mecha

Liked Posts:
I remember Cade McNown getting washed out in year 2. Grossman got 2006 and half of 2007. Kyle Orton inadvertently received 2 years when he was cast in the 2005 season and they were tired of Grossman's shit in 2008. they've trotted out maybe 6 other options to Jay Cutler, with Josh McCown being the only one to supplant him after his career of total mediocrity. the McCown effect isn't so much an indictment of how much Cutler sucks, he genuinely was playing some of the best ball of anyone in the league in 2013. he also threw probably the most almost-interceptions of any starter in league history.

Orton was probably the only option the team's drafted since McMahon that was actually worth his salt. he was a smarter player with physical limitations -- he wasn't very mobile and his arm was weak. McNown was considered some gamechanging savior -- I used to have old game tickets that had his face plastered on them demonstrating such. Grossman panned out to be a big never-was, he didn't have the intelligence to keep up. Cutler was a step up from Grossman, but he was also a big never-was. both players could've probably been something special, but who cares now.

Barkley played with gusto, a welcome change after Cutler becoming dickless from getting his head rattled for several years. he was never intended to be something huge, to imply he was is just silly. he was fun to watch until his collapse at the end of the season. I haven't watched any football outside of the last quarter of the Packers game last week since maybe week 14.

that said, historically the Bears have been total shit at the position for a very long time. if they fail to capitalize on a 3-13 campaign to draft a good quarterback high, then that will suck. given the history of the fanbase, they better not suck, or they'll get shit on. the end.

sphinxnole

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't touch Kaaya before round 4. He isn't very tough & has a tendency to watch the rush develop after a few hits. Plus he is pretty much a statue in the pocket..

Leon Sandcastle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lol at people here being patient. It will only take one or two bad games before we start seeing the term Bust thrown around.

Us Bears fans really aren't that bright.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Proper?? How about 5 years to many. You were the #1 hard on for Barkley from his 1st start, and you were wrong! After a half ass decent start, he morphed in to he is, Barkley.
I'm not wrong you are. Barkley will start this year IMO and become a very good QB. But the question is how long would you give a rookie before you turn on him.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Barkley is a practice squad quality player on his 3rd team. Using him as an example to gauge potential reactions of a QB with talent is idiotic.
No whats idiotic is pretending Barkley is the reason you jumped ship. Barkley is only the most recent example of what happens every time with this fan base.