dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
But, playing devil's advocate on this, would the combo of Howard and Forte been a better 1-2 punch than Howard/Langford? Slauson would have fit in very nicely with all the injuries on the Oline and he was a starter in SD. Would a Marshall/AJ combo have been better than AJ/all-the-rest? This is a case of adding talent to talent and not eliminating talent. I ask the same on Miller/Bennett versus Miller/Paulson. Money was not the issue in any of these cases.

Those 3 would of added around another 15-18 million to our cap right??

Washington

Liked Posts:
Those 3 would of added around another 15-18 million to our cap right??

Yep and we had like $24m to spare. I was just playing devil's advocate as all those players make us a better team and it is not about a 1..1 comparison but it was about adding talent to talent. I'm just glad GB did not sign Forte. I'm OK without any of those players.

Given what happened with Gronk, I think NE was quite pleased with their 1-2 punch at TE. Quality depth is a good thing.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What the hell are we gonna do to replace AJ if he leaves in free agency? The free agent class stinks and we have so many damn needs at other positions that i'm not sure i see Pace going WR in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd round and with the free agent market at TE being just as bad or even worse than WR we might have to go TE early in the draft.

If we draft a QB early and plan on playing that QB then we're most likely in for a good two to three years of dealing with that QB growing so i guess we could go with C.Meredith, K.White and maybe another tier 2/3 WR we get from free agency or later in the draft but that could hurt the growth of our QB. We could call the Saints to see if B.Cooks is on the trade block but that will cost us a 1st round pick or a couple of early picks for Cooks. There's guys like P.Garcon, K.Britt, K.Wright, T.Pryor and others like them in free agency but the only one i can see having any chance at being even close to a #1 WR is Pryor.

So what would you do to replace AJ if he does end up leaving like this article i'm posting that has him going to Tennessee??

https://t.co/cca8d9gZrB

We Panik.

I have predicted for 2 years he will go to Carolina and take Josh Normans money.

Escobar's Army

Liked Posts:
What an awful idea. Garçon is older than dirt . . .

He's 30, lol, that's not that old. Hell Marshall was the same age when we dealt him and this board lost their mind. And no I'm not saying he's close to Marshall but you said age so...

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Gordon's talented, but his brain isn't. If you get busted for weed once....it's a red flag...for it to be a repetitive problem, the guy can't be relied upon. Pryor, is actually a guy who is dedicated to the game and his craft, and has a lot of untapped potential.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
You think Gordon would be expensive or something? It'd be very much like McDonald. It don't work, he gets cut. By the way, the recent suspension is for testing positive for alcohol. Apparently he's supposed to become a saint after failing his weed test a while back. I know, weed and alcohol, the horror.

MrOuija

Liked Posts:
AJ is not worth the $17m per season via the 2nd tag. I seriously doubt he'd sign a long term deal with our train wreck which is QBless. If he's tagged again, he's playing out the season and signs with another team next year. I like Alshon as a player but he does not deserve top 5 money - nowhere close actually. WRs are a dime a dozen in this league. GB finds good ones every year and none are drafted high by them. Det made the playoffs without CJ this year and they had no running game at all. Any of the FAs listed by DB70 would suffice for now.

I honestly believe the Bears brain trust shares your opinions, and to me, it's a big reason why this team is where it is right now. We don't have Rodgers to make good receivers out of journeymen, hell we don't even have Stafford. We went through that thinking with Cutler and it got us nowhere. You pay what you must to retain good players, particularly on one year deals, otherwise what's the point? To field the cheapest roster possible and hope for the best?

All teams aren't created equal, who wants to come play for this team if the money isn't competitive? So what, we get rid of one of the few legit talents we have left and hope more training camp heroes emerge? We'll be waiting until the end of time for a team constructed that way to be successful.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If AJ leaves, I think Pace goes after Stills/Pryor to try and fill some of his void. He could probably get them on a team friendly deal. I then expect him to take a TE fairly early in the draft and based on the deep TE class that will help. Between QB and our secondary needs, I don't want Pace to select another WR early in the draft.

Meredith/White/Stills or Pryor/High drafted TE.

That is a young receiving core with some potential, imo.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
LOL @ White.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
LOL @ White.

He's nothing more then a WR3 at this point. High end potential is a good WR2. If there is one thing we should have learned over the past two years is that you don't really need a WR1 to go to the Super Bowl. Cam was throwing to Ted effing Ginn. Brady just tore up GB with Chris Hogan. A good QB can mask the deficiencies at the WR position. Problem is we have to find a good QB first.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They need to draft a big fast WR in the first three rounds at a minimum along with a tight end. THis is kind of why I would think that Pace should try like hell to trade down his first round pick. The Bears need a LOT to even begin to be decent on offense as in WR, TE, LT, and RT. A pass catching 3rd down running back also would be a good addition.

BearDown104

Bears Guru
Donator
Liked Posts:
AJ is not worth the $17m per season via the 2nd tag. I seriously doubt he'd sign a long term deal with our train wreck which is QBless. If he's tagged again, he's playing out the season and signs with another team next year. I like Alshon as a player but he does not deserve top 5 money - nowhere close actually. WRs are a dime a dozen in this league. GB finds good ones every year and none are drafted high by them. Det made the playoffs without CJ this year and they had no running game at all. Any of the FAs listed by DB70 would suffice for now.

Nelson- round 2
Cobb- round 2
Adams- round 2

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Exactly. You don't see them spending #1s on WRs and they do well while we wasted the 7th pick in the draft on White.
Don't forget that everyone lauded that pick.

He just got injured... Get over it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Not sure what the 'proper CCS etiquette' is on discussing Kevin White. On one hand, you have the Pace fanboys saying "Everyone liked the pick at the time...he got injured...lets move on from this". On the other hand, you have the Kevin White fanboys still projecting White as a major contributor to the 2017 Bears, even replacing Alshon Jeffery as a top WR1. Well, which is it? Should we stop talking about Kevin White completely, or is he still a big part of the total rebuild?
I'll tell you after next season.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Not sure what the 'proper CCS etiquette' is on discussing Kevin White. On one hand, you have the Pace fanboys saying "Everyone liked the pick at the time...he got injured...lets move on from this". On the other hand, you have the Kevin White fanboys still projecting White as a major contributor to the 2017 Bears, even replacing Alshon Jeffery as a top WR1. Well, which is it? Should we stop talking about Kevin White completely, or is he still a big part of the total rebuild?

I'm a Pace supporter, but I didn't like that pick, I wanted Bud Dupree, 2nd choice was Beasley. I get what he was trying to do, build the team up so a young QB has a good foundation around him, but it isn't working quite like he planned, Bears now have shit for QB and pass catchers. I'm a supporter because the run game and offensive line is better than it has been in a decade, plus the defense is slowly getting better.

I don't want to hear about how White looks " great in camp" or how he can outrun Bellamy. If he plays next year, then I'll cheer for him, but if I'm Pace, I'm going into this offseason looking at him as a non-contributor.

Washington

Liked Posts:
Don't forget that everyone lauded that pick.

He just got injured... Get over it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Not everyone lauded the pick. He was a 1yr wonder in college who could only run 2 routes and had marginal hands. His ceiling was mostly based on speed. Pace only had 6 picks in that draft and he needed to trade down (or pick Beasley) and acquire more picks as he had 1000 holes to fill. He only picked White to replace Marshall, a hole Pace created. I think Oak is very happy with their WR choice over White.

WRs are a dime a dozen and good ones can be had all over the draft.