What do we do at WR if AJ leaves?

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Steelers are gonna deal Antonio Brown.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Not everyone lauded the pick. He was a 1yr wonder in college who could only run 2 routes and had marginal hands. His ceiling was mostly based on speed. Pace only had 6 picks in that draft and he needed to trade down (or pick Beasley) and acquire more picks as he had 1000 holes to fill. He only picked White to replace Marshall, a hole Pace created. I think Oak is very happy with their WR choice over White.

WRs are a dime a dozen and good ones can be had all over the draft.

That is a fair point. I am on the "If we hadn't traded Marshall the Jets would've taken White and we would've gotten Leonard Williams" Conspiracy train. But what happened happened. He was one of the top WR's in the draft. The fact that he got injured twice sucks, but hopefully we still get some value out of him.

Currently I just want to keep moving forward, if he starts producing that would be great, but if not oh well. Everyone misses on their top draft pick from time to time.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Not sure what the 'proper CCS etiquette' is on discussing Kevin White. On one hand, you have the Pace fanboys saying "Everyone liked the pick at the time...he got injured...lets move on from this". On the other hand, you have the Kevin White fanboys still projecting White as a major contributor to the 2017 Bears, even replacing Alshon Jeffery as a top WR1. Well, which is it? Should we stop talking about Kevin White completely, or is he still a big part of the total rebuild?

Shut the hell up

Damn it you're annoying as fuck

Carry on

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
This highlights our shittiness at WR........we hope a guy that only shows up around half the year can come back......ugh.......we are not in good shape.......maybe Pace will draft a WR in round 1.....

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think you consider White part of a rebuild but you can't depend on him playing every game. Bring him to camp, expect him to be healthy in camp, and see how he does. There isn't a lot of tape on the games he did play. But from what I saw, even if he is completely healthy, I'm not sure he is a #1 WR. So, if they don't sign Jeffrey to a contract (and I think they should) they have to be very concerned about a #1; particularly in light of the QB situation. I think White could still turn out to be good. I think, if healthy, he could be a solid #2. I think C. Meredith can be that #2 as well. So, re-sign Jeffrey, hope for a healthy White, hope Meredith continues to grow, and if Bellamy learns to catch you have a nice as in fine WR Corps.

I didn't hate the White pick at the time. Of course, anyone with middle school reading skills and comprehension can look back and find a great many better picks; hindsight is 20-20. But essentially losing a 1st round pick for 2 full years, with his health still highly questionable, and one has reason to be extremely concerned about the WR position. I think that you consider White a #3 (?) right now. Expect him to make the team but they really need to sign Jeffrey or somehow find another #1. Sure, talk about White, consider White but don't count on him to get you more than #3 numbers. And that could be generous if he isn't 100%.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I think too much is made of who your #1 WR is. Alshon was our "#1" for the past 2 seasons and we didn't have much to show for it. I think the overall depth of the WR corp is much more important than having a top 10ish WR. We definitely need another WR, if not 2...but what we need from them more than anything is to stay on the field. I wonder how much Alshon thinks he's worth and how much teams would be wiling to spend on him. 2 years in a row with less than 1,000 yards, terrible TD numbers, injuries, and a PED suspension during your franchise tag? Doesn't exactly scream "invest in me." Very curious to find out his market value.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like Merideth as our slot guy of the future. I think Wilson had the skills, intelligence, speed, and length to be a guy...but like me in rugby...the biggest weakness is the durability and it don't matter what skills you might have if you can't be there. If White could be that big athletic #2 who competes and blocks with energy, enhances red zone versatility...we would have a nice trio. If Merideth is just White insurance and competes for #2, I think a slot guy can be had.

Its that #1 that we as Bears fans used to know oh so painfully how much you need. Jeffery can be that guy because of his skill set/size...commands the double. Its hard to find good ones. Almost as hard as QB's, to find good ones that can stay on the field.

We just really need Jeffery to sign, and if not then seriously Corey Davis becomes a target on a trade up from 35, and Williams on the trade down from 3. Both of those guys can probably do it at the next level, and not coincidentally, will be gone before the first round is up.

Both are far better picks than Kevin White was....I mean the entire "Pace is an idiot" movement had momentum for some reasons. Taking a WR at 7 at all....highly questionable. Taking THAT WR at #7...was unfathomable. Its what scared many of us, becuase look...its like all you did was read a stat sheet...watch the combine...and go.."THAT GUY"!!! Do those two things and Kevin White is your guy.

Actually watch the college plays? Kevin White doesn't have wide receiver skills. RAW guys like that don't go top 10, especially when you consider he is in the 1. not THAT fast 2. not THAT big 3. not THAT strong club.

He had all those things in college, was overwhelming. He scares nobody at this level guys. He is 6'2, 4.4 speed, 200 lbs, kinda on the not strong not quick scale.

I just can't get through to many on here who will tell you over and over and over how White was the best available and such good value and you have to take a QB this year too because finding one is like finding a #1 pick no matter where they come from and blah blah blah we have some big idiots in here.

KEVIN WHITE WOULD NEVER EVER EVER BE DRAFTED BY MANY SUCCESSFUL AND HALL OF FAME GM'S PUT IN THE SAME POSITION AS PACE!! BELIEVE ME. He came from New Orleans and had a degree of value on the WR, wanted to find his Colston.He created a hole and couldn't even evaluate his own roster to see he already had Jeffery.

But Pace has his qualities, and he likes well built big program thumpers with special size, strength, or speed qualitites.

Garrett/Hooker/Fournette/Trubisky/Kizer/Watson would all fit that profile.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Tag em and trade em would be the ideal scenario. Since FA WR is very poor this year, let the bidding begin on Jeffery. 2nd and a 4th seems reasonable considering the trading team would likely be tearing up the tag and given Alshon a long-term deal.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tag em and trade em would be the ideal scenario. Since FA WR is very poor this year, let the bidding begin on Jeffery. 2nd and a 4th seems reasonable considering the trading team would likely be tearing up the tag and given Alshon a long-term deal.

stickmen_bangingyourhead_100-100.gif

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
IF they want to even begin to get better next year, they almost have to sign Jeffrey. COnsidering that he (Pace) has already lost some pretty good players over his reign, they can't lose their best receiver. I don't particularly like Jeffrey nor do I think that on a good team he'd be considered a number one guy, they are really up against the reality that their offense stinks and they need better players including Jeffrey.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
I like Merideth as our slot guy of the future. I think Wilson had the skills, intelligence, speed, and length to be a guy...but like me in rugby...the biggest weakness is the durability and it don't matter what skills you might have if you can't be there. If White could be that big athletic #2 who competes and blocks with energy, enhances red zone versatility...we would have a nice trio. If Merideth is just White insurance and competes for #2, I think a slot guy can be had.

Its that #1 that we as Bears fans used to know oh so painfully how much you need. Jeffery can be that guy because of his skill set/size...commands the double. Its hard to find good ones. Almost as hard as QB's, to find good ones that can stay on the field.

We just really need Jeffery to sign, and if not then seriously Corey Davis becomes a target on a trade up from 35, and Williams on the trade down from 3. Both of those guys can probably do it at the next level, and not coincidentally, will be gone before the first round is up.

Both are far better picks than Kevin White was....I mean the entire "Pace is an idiot" movement had momentum for some reasons. Taking a WR at 7 at all....highly questionable. Taking THAT WR at #7...was unfathomable. Its what scared many of us, becuase look...its like all you did was read a stat sheet...watch the combine...and go.."THAT GUY"!!! Do those two things and Kevin White is your guy.

Actually watch the college plays? Kevin White doesn't have wide receiver skills. RAW guys like that don't go top 10, especially when you consider he is in the 1. not THAT fast 2. not THAT big 3. not THAT strong club.

He had all those things in college, was overwhelming. He scares nobody at this level guys. He is 6'2, 4.4 speed, 200 lbs, kinda on the not strong not quick scale.

I just can't get through to many on here who will tell you over and over and over how White was the best available and such good value and you have to take a QB this year too because finding one is like finding a #1 pick no matter where they come from and blah blah blah we have some big idiots in here.

KEVIN WHITE WOULD NEVER EVER EVER BE DRAFTED BY MANY SUCCESSFUL AND HALL OF FAME GM'S PUT IN THE SAME POSITION AS PACE!! BELIEVE ME. He came from New Orleans and had a degree of value on the WR, wanted to find his Colston.He created a hole and couldn't even evaluate his own roster to see he already had Jeffery.

But Pace has his qualities, and he likes well built big program thumpers with special size, strength, or speed qualitites.

Garrett/Hooker/Fournette/Trubisky/Kizer/Watson would all fit that profile.

Take a look back through the big boards, commentary, scout evaluations from two years ago and you will be hard pressed to find anyone suggesting White wasn't a top 10 pick. Also, if the Raiders had taken White and Amari Cooper falls to #7 then I think you re-evaluate the "any WR being highly questionable at 7" line. Even if you hadn't outright contradicted it by looking to trade back for Mike Williams who also won't fall out of the top 10.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
So what would you do to replace AJ if he does end up leaving like this article i'm posting that has him going to Tennessee??

Clearly the answer is trade down in the draft a couple dozen times. To whom I don't know or care.......the scenario doesn't need to make sense, the team trading with doesn't need to make sense, just keep trading down. Every pick the bears can get in the 7th round is critical to this team's success going forward. Because 20 picks are better than just one measly 1st rounder.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Steelers are gonna deal Antonio Brown.

Yeah. I talked to a couple of Steeler fans yesterday and Brown really pissed Rooney and company off and it looks like he will be gone.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Deshaun Watson, Jordan Howard and Antonio Brown.

I can't even imagine.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I could imagine a lot of picks being thrown.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
1 of these things does not belong.

Kudos for getting the ratio of their respective eliteness correct via text size. Howard and Brown are top class, but of course it's 4 who will really be the hero of our unstoppable offense.