The Obvious Bears 'Win-Now' Offseason Scenario

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
The insanity grows.

Draft Mahomes in the 2nd. Sit him behind two other QB's, one of which has proven he sucks, and then trade him for a first three years down the road as his rookie contract nears its end.
I don't mean to insult you but you're obviously football Special person. The team with the consensus best Qb in the league used their 2nd pick in 2014 just cause they thought teams were sleeping on him and they knew he was damn good. I'm suppose to listen to twits like you over the top HC in football? GTFO!

And as vet journeyman QBs go, Hoyer's as good as it gets. No, you don't want to pin your hopes on him enough to make him starter but you won't find a better vet to put on the roster to go with the 2 young guys. Can he hold things together for a few games if the starter goes down? Absolutely.

Think Mahomes is seen as more of a 3rd rounder/4th rounder once you get by all the QB needy teams. He's a great value pick there.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The insanity will never end. Fact is Jimmy is the next elite QB so you better hope the Bears get him.

Here's the QB depth chart I'd like to see for the Bears next season.

Garoppolo - Hoyer - Mahomes

I give you the next elite starter, a top QB journey man, and another young gun you can trade off for a 1st or 2nd 2 or 3 years down the road when Jimmy Garoppolo is established as an elite NFL QB. Thank me now or thank me later. You will thank me.

Jimmy will never be an elite QB. Watson, Kizer and Trubisky all have more talent, and there may be a couple more from this class with more talent too.

laputan

Liked Posts:
I only see them going for Romo if he's cut and don't see them going the way of trade and taking on that contract but who really knows. I wonder what kind of money/contract he'd want on a new deal.

Actually, Romo's contract isn't even bad. It's just too much to pay for a backup for Dallas.

The Bears would pay him 14 million next year, less than what Cutler makes. Pretty much middle of the road starting QB salary. Then 19 million year two and 20 million year three but can release him prior to year three for 3 million dead cap. Dallas would still pay his signing bonuses each year.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Romo is one fucking hit from becoming a paraplegic, are you out of your fucking mind?
Paying to much for JG, not a fan of the buy now pay later option. Offer up a second and call it a day.
The thread premise is 'what could Pace do to maximize the win-now scenario?', because Pace & Fox want to keep their job. (It's not my best for future suggestion.)

Surely it's going to include risky elements like Romo or Garoppolo outplaying Cutler or Watson.

Resign AJ at what cost?
market price

What's your beef with that? From Jeffery's end-of-year Bears-jingoistic statements, sounded like he's ok with re-signing with Bears. He was avl for more games this year (trending up), he's still a good WR.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Jimmy will never be an elite QB. Watson, Kizer and Trubisky all have more talent, and there may be a couple more from this class with more talent too.

Purely your opinion...

No one on this board knows that.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
They are all so far off from Jimmy's level I can't even imagine somebody saying something like that with a straight face. Get off that Watson kick too, Trubisky and Kizer will be top 2 in the draft.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No way are they dealing a first, this year or next year. Also how is Jimmy part of a "win now" season when you don't know what kind of pro he is. Romo is a win now gamble, not Jimmy.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
No way are they dealing a first, this year or next year. Also how is Jimmy part of a "win now" season when you don't know what kind of pro he is. Romo is a win now gamble, not Jimmy.

Agreed. They could be picking top 5 again next year.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Purely your opinion...

No one on this board knows that.

Nor do they know that "there's no QB worth the pick" yet people are posting it all over the place. Why haven't you responded to these comments which are presented as fact instead of opinion with a similar response?

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nor do they know that "there's no QB worth the pick" yet people are posting it all over the place. Why haven't you responded to these comments which are presented as fact instead of opinion with a similar response?
I wouldn't say there's none worth the pick as there is a chance 1 or 2 will work out real good. The reality of it though is you don't have that sure thing or even more likely than not thing. What you have is a klusterfuck of a bunch of QBs around the same level. Bad year for a QB needy team with a #3 pick. Good year for a team looking for a future QB they can grab in the 2nd, 3rd or even 4th. Could come away with a steal there.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Well..... I agree first of all.

I also don't read EVERYTHING on this board and don't reply to everyone so that's probably why I haven't made a similar remark. I do tend to read your posts though because you're a regular that I've known since CBMB.

I can ignore you in the future though if that'd make you feel better???

Chinese

Liked Posts:
I'm not big for giving picks up for JG but he did more than Brett Favre before Favre was traded to the Packers from Atlanta..I don't remember what Ron Wolf gave up to get Favre

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well..... I agree first of all.

I also don't read EVERYTHING on this board and don't reply to everyone so that's probably why I haven't made a similar remark. I do tend to read your posts though because you're a regular that I've known since CBMB.

I can ignore you in the future though if that'd make you feel better???

That's fine but the fact that you agree with their opinion doesn't make it any more fact and less opinion. I have at least given reasons why I think these players have talent. Those who say none of them are worth it are just listening to the media, which is wrong every year.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
That's fine but the fact that you agree with their opinion doesn't make it any more fact and less opinion. I have at least given reasons why I think these players have talent. Those who say none of them are worth it are just listening to the media, which is wrong every year.

I don't agree with their opinion. I'm all on board taking one of the QB's at 3.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not big for giving picks up for JG but he did more than Brett Favre before Favre was traded to the Packers from Atlanta..I don't remember what Ron Wolf gave up to get Favre

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
He gave up a 1st round pick for the guy the Falcons drafted in the 2nd round.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Assuming Romo is healthy, he's a stronger win-now choice than Garoppolo, but Romo's only played 5 games the last 2 seasons. Garo has played more NFL snaps than you may realise, especially preseason. Romo doesn't have a ring. They're both risky.

I'd rather draft Tribinsky.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Assuming Romo is healthy, he's a stronger win-now choice than Garoppolo, but Romo's only played 5 games the last 2 seasons. Garo has played more NFL snaps than you may realise, especially preseason. Romo doesn't have a ring. They're both risky.

I'd rather draft Tribinsky.
Romo 1 hit away from a wheelchair. Trubisky a much bigger question mark than Garoppolo.