dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Imo, you just contradicted yourself. I believe we have filled holes, and built depth. Of course, things could always be better but I don't think we're that far off from doing as I said and creating a window with Brees.

Hehe

Did you mean, a window with a breeze??

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I hope Pace does not go into win now mode. Just keep building this team. We already endured enough of that win now BS from JA.

He shouldn't go win now mode but he should use this offseason with the thought of winning in the 2018/19 season because with another good offseason and getting our next franchise QB (fingers crossed) this offseason and with another year under the belts of the last two draft classes would put this team very close to being a team that's ready to win and again, with the right moves, we could win 8 games next season.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Really. 10 mil a year is nothing for a QB today. To take a 1 in 10 chance at a rookie with the #3 pick just to save a tiny bit of money for a team who has plenty of cap and is also unloading their overpaid QB seems silly.

It wouldn't be anything if it was one year at $10 but it won't be and will be more like 4 years at $45-$50 million and that will hurt if he's not the QB some think he'll be.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Maybe a 2nd but even if a 1st, how is that expense too much for obtaining a franchise QB? It's just a draft pick for fuck's sake. How long have you been a Bears fan? How anyone who has been a Bears' fan for long can treat a pick like it's solid gold, IDK. As for me, I've seen them blow a ton and know they could do a lot worse than use 1 to obtain their next QB.

That draft pick is a day one starter on a rookie contract....you don't think that's important for a team that's rebuilding or for any team for that matter??

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
The more I think on it, the more I think they love the idea of Nathan Peterman from Pitt.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
He shouldn't go win now mode but he should use this offseason with the thought of winning in the 2018/19 season because with another good offseason and getting our next franchise QB (fingers crossed) this offseason and with another year under the belts of the last two draft classes would put this team very close to being a team that's ready to win and again, with the right moves, we could win 8 games next season.

I feel with a Qb another couple solid drafts we may have aomething. With a franchise QB our window should open in 2-3 years for the playoffs. Without a Franchise QB will be much of the same BS we have been seeing.

JeffSpicoli

Hey bud....Let's party!!
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Obvious Bears 'Win-Now' Offseason Scenario

Many think Pace and Fox are in a "win in 2017 or get fired" mode. It being their third year, with the team record trending down 6-10 to 3-13, that's probably true enough for Fox (Pace probably safe). Bears have a ton of Cap Space to get a few key Free Agents.

Keeping it simple, Bears do this:

1. Bears trade for Jimmy Garoppolo for 2018 #1 Draft Pick (better yet, Romo if he becomes avl) -- No way to know the exact eventual price. Guess whatever you like... But the point is the 2016-dominating Patriots would likely agree deferring most of the price to 2018, namely Bears 1st Round pick. Add to that a lower 2017 pick (like a 3rd). Pats would prefer Garoppolo going out of conference.​

2. Sign a Top FA CB -- good FA CBs available, preferably a ball-hawk, and younger; (likely pair with Fuller)

3. Sign a Top FA Safety -- good FA Safeties available, preferably a ball-hawk, and younger; (likely pair with best of Houston-Carson, Bush or Amos)

4. Sign a Top FA TE -- Not many TEs available; go after Jared Cook/Trey Burton; (We'll get some 8 well-played games from Zack Miller, we also have Daniel Brown.)

5. Sign a Good FA OLB -- We likely cut Houston, need relative replacement

6. Re-sign Jeffery
-- Bears can sign a fair market price for Jeffery, who trended up in games available. (Beginning with Jeffery, White and Meredith, and add a good 2nd-string FA WR for depth.)

7. Draft Non-QB Best Players Available
-- 1st Round getting one of DEs Myles Garrett or Jonathan Allen. 2nd Round looking OT.

Other little details: Restructure McPhee; if very healthy, also Houston. Re-sign Larson, Deonte Thompson, Hoyer, Barkley, C. Washington. Sign mid-level FA Tackle and WR.

Partial Depth Chart:

QB - Garoppolo, Hoyer, Barkley
RB - Howard, Langford, Casey
WR1 - Jeffery, Meredith
WR2 - White, FA (midlevel), Thompson
TE - FA, Miller, Brown, Braunecker
LT - Leno, FA (midlevel)/2nd Rd
G - Sitton, Larsen
C - Grasu/Whitehair
G - Long
RT - Massie/Whitehair

CB1 - FA
CB2 - Fuller, Hall, LeBlanc, Callahan
S1 - FA
S2 - Houston-Carson, Bush, Amos
OLB1 - Floyd, Young
OLB2 - McPhee, FA/or Houston, Robertson-Harris
DE1 - Hicks, Bullard, Unrein
DE2 - 1st Rd, Washington
NT - Goldman, Sutton
IL1 - Freeman, Kwiatkoski
ILB2 - Trevathan,

Whitehair is a backup in your scenario? Yeah, I hope that was just an oversight, dude is a baller

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
It wouldn't be anything if it was one year at $10 but it won't be and will be more like 4 years at $45-$50 million and that will hurt if he's not the QB some think he'll be.

Just a guess on your part, a wild stab in the dark. If you put a little thought into it the best thing for Garoppolo would be to refuse such an extension. What QB worth anything wants to be tied to such a meager contract for 4 years? He would make way more if he just played out his rookie contract, did a good job as starter next year and then he could command nearly twice the money over the next 4 or 5 years. This is kinda what Cousins. He had no interest in the lesser contract so let the team franchise him and now he can get paid real NFL QB money.

So while everybody wants to say them team he gets traded to has to extend him right away, nobody has any idea what will actually happen cause it's a unique situation. The team certainly wouldn't have to extend him right away but even if they did it would likely only be a 1 or 2 year extension for right now. That's what would be in the best interest of both sides. Hardly risky or costly by NFL standards.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
That draft pick is a day one starter on a rookie contract....you don't think that's important for a team that's rebuilding or for any team for that matter??

Odds say the draft pick is a crap QB you'll waste about another 3 or 4 years on. No, I don't want that. Garoppolo would be the day 1 starter.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
giphy.gif

This fucking Rory clown is a straight stalker, he follows me around on here and stalks every post i make. Go away you stalker boy

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I feel with a Qb another couple solid drafts we may have aomething. With a franchise QB our window should open in 2-3 years for the playoffs. Without a Franchise QB will be much of the same BS we have been seeing.

Depends on the QB to. If we strike gold with a QB in the draft we'll be talking playoffs in 2 years for sure cause the rest of the team isn't that far off especially with a stud QB.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Just a guess on your part, a wild stab in the dark. If you put a little thought into it the best thing for Garoppolo would be to refuse such an extension. What QB worth anything wants to be tied to such a meager contract for 4 years? He would make way more if he just played out his rookie contract, did a good job as starter next year and then he could command nearly twice the money over the next 4 or 5 years. This is kinda what Cousins. He had no interest in the lesser contract so let the team franchise him and now he can get paid real NFL QB money.

So while everybody wants to say them team he gets traded to has to extend him right away, nobody has any idea what will actually happen cause it's a unique situation. The team certainly wouldn't have to extend him right away but even if they did it would likely only be a 1 or 2 year extension for right now. That's what would be in the best interest of both sides. Hardly risky or costly by NFL standards.

I guess we're both guessing now or taking wild stabs in the dark. I guess i was just assuming cause you would think any team that trades a high draft pick or multiple draft picks for a QB believes in that QB enough to want to keep him for a while and not just let him play out his final year and then having the guy you just traded valuable picks for being able to leave in free agency. Just a thought but who really knows right??

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Odds say the draft pick is a crap QB you'll waste about another 3 or 4 years on. No, I don't want that. Garoppolo would be the day 1 starter.

Who said that draft pick would be used on a QB? We could use that draft pick on any player that's sitting there.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I guess we're both guessing now or taking wild stabs in the dark. I guess i was just assuming cause you would think any team that trades a high draft pick or multiple draft picks for a QB believes in that QB enough to want to keep him for a while and not just let him play out his final year and then having the guy you just traded valuable picks for being able to leave in free agency. Just a thought but who really knows right??

Of course you'd want to keep him a while but, again, it's not in his best interest to sign a rather small contract for several years when he can play out his rookie contract, prove himself and fetch top QB money which is double that which you'd be offering over 4 years. Players aren't looking for a little more here or there. They're looking for the big contract. That's just common sense. And common sense also dictates if a team was to give him an immediate extension for 2 or 3 years with very little to base that pay on, it would be smallish and mostly all unguaranteed. In fact they could make his first year with them the only guaranteed part so those who try to paint it like a Cutler contract, that binds the team to him for several years down the road, are way off base.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who said that draft pick would be used on a QB? We could use that draft pick on any player that's sitting there.

You could but if you don't want to trade for Jimmy and you don't want to spend your first round pick on a QB, you'd be settling for scraps at the most important position. Pace laid this trap for himself by ignoring the QB position his first 2 years even though it was known to be a big problem the day he was hired.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Whitehair is a backup in your scenario? Yeah, I hope that was just an oversight, dude is a baller
In these type of roster charts it's become the convention for the slash symbol to mean "either/or", or even "rotation". Whereas the coma indicates moving on to second/third string player.

LT - Leno, FA (midlevel)/2nd Rd
G - Sitton, Larsen
C - Grasu/Whitehair
G - Long
RT - Massie/Whitehair

In this case, as Pace discussed, he wants the best 5 OL players out there, but not all can play multiple positions. If Grasu comes back, and is a good Center, he'll be Center. Long & Sitton will stay Gs. Whitehair can play any, and strange as it sounds, might battle for Tackle.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
You could but if you don't want to trade for Jimmy and you don't want to spend your first round pick on a QB, you'd be settling for scraps at the most important position. Pace laid this trap for himself by ignoring the QB position his first 2 years even though it was known to be a big problem the day he was hired.

I hate when people say he ignored the QB position in the last two drafts because he did try to make trades to get QB's like Wentz and Mariota but with Wentz a team gave up way more than he wanted to to move up and the Mariota trade didn't work out cause Tenn was to smart to not accept Cutler in any trade...lol. He obviously didn't come away with a QB in either draft but he didn't ignore the position. I guess we can at least say that he has a good eye for what he wants in a QB though since the two he did have interest in look like they'll both be good QB's in the NFL so that's something good to look at.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hate when people say he ignored the QB position in the last two drafts because he did try to make trades to get QB's like Wentz and Mariota but with Wentz a team gave up way more than he wanted to to move up and the Mariota trade didn't work out cause Tenn was to smart to not accept Cutler in any trade...lol. He obviously didn't come away with a QB in either draft but he didn't ignore the position. I guess we can at least say that he has a good eye for what he wants in a QB though since the two he did have interest in look like they'll both be good QB's in the NFL so that's something good to look at.

Did I black out last year...where were the Wentz trade rumors/discussions?