The Obvious Bears 'Win-Now' Offseason Scenario

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Omg when will this Jimmy insanity end? Dude is a late second round draft pick with 1.5 starts in an offense that EVERYONE can plug into and win, and he also needs a multi-year extension before he throws a single ball for you. Why the fuck would anyone want to do this? It's the dumbest ongoing idea this board has kept talking about since I've been posting here.

He has done nothing to suggest he's worth more than a 2nd now, and if the Bears were going to use a 2nd I'd much rather just draft our own.

Well, with all due respect, I believe giving up draft picks to lock into Romo's current contract is far dumber.

If Romo were cut, and you signed him as a FA, that would be much different. His age, lack of playoff experience/success, and health are negatives. But using draft picks AND paying a ton of money would be even bigger negatives.

I personally would not mind trading for Jimmy G at the right price, but my "right price" is waaaayyyy below what people are speculating we'd have to give up. NO to a 1st rounder this year or any future year. Offer a high 2nd and that is ALL. BB can say no if he wants to.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well, with all due respect, I believe giving up draft picks to lock into Romo's current contract is far dumber.

Oh I agree, but that doesn't seem to be a recurring thing many want to do like the Jimmy thing.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Omg when will this Jimmy insanity end? Dude is a late second round draft pick with 1.5 starts in an offense that EVERYONE can plug into and win, and he also needs a multi-year extension before he throws a single ball for you. Why the fuck would anyone want to do this? It's the dumbest ongoing idea this board has kept talking about since I've been posting here.

He has done nothing to suggest he's worth more than a 2nd now, and if the Bears were going to use a 2nd I'd much rather just draft our own.

It's not going to end, because he is a viable option. I am with you on not giving up a first round pick, I think he is worth the risk for our #35 and a conditional pick in 2018. If that is not good enough, then I pull the offer and draft a QB at 3 (Watson). The 2017 offseason will be graded on a collection of its parts. Rolling the dice with a second round pick is not going to cripple the franchise like the JC deal did.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm really gun shy about trading for other teams' trash at QB after Mirer and Cutty. I want nothing to do with the old man Romo. No band-aids. I'd prefer to see the organization actually try to get a real QB via the draft and do this right versus throwing all this cash at FA. Throwing a ton of cash at FA rarely works out. Keep drafting QBs until you get it right and keep drafting them after you get it right. I don't care if it takes longer to get to the promised land if the team is better built for long term success. Sniffing .500 next year would be a huge improvement and good enough for me. 6-10 with a rookie QB would work for me too.
This.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

If Romo were cut, and you signed him as a FA, that would be much different. His age, lack of playoff experience/success, and health are negatives. But using draft picks AND paying a ton of money would be even bigger negatives.

I personally would not mind trading for Jimmy G at the right price, but my "right price" is waaaayyyy below what people are speculating we'd have to give up. NO to a 1st rounder this year or any future year. Offer a high 2nd and that is ALL. BB can say no if he wants to.

I am with you here, my thoughts exactly, although I would add a conditional pick in 2018 to the deal.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I'm all for Jimmy Garoppolo! Obviously I made a thread about it, as well. Some of these people on this board live in a box. It's possible JG could really be a big boom and be the leader the Bears offense needs. Give it a chance, if the trade does happen. All I'm saying is JG could be a damn good QB and Pace could do much worse in acquiring QBs.

There's just as much of a chance that Jimmy isn't a starting caliber QB and tell me what we do if he isn't and we're locked into him with a new very large 4 year contract? You do realize that he's gonna get a new big contract from whatever team trades for him right?? Or are you living in a box? I'm not one of the guys that try to play fake GM so i know i have no idea what JG will be starting for another team but i do know it's a huge risk.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There's just as much of a chance that Jimmy isn't a starting caliber QB and tell me what we do if he isn't and we're locked into him with a new very large 4 year contract? You do realize that he's gonna get a new big contract from whatever team trades for him right?? Or are you living in a box? I'm not one of the guys that try to play fake GM so i know i have no idea what JG will be starting for another team but i do know it's a huge risk.

That has been so blown out of proportion it isn't funny. Even with a Brock Osweiller contract, you can cut bait in two years if structured properly, with a small 4-6 mill cap hit in 2019. But yes, trading for Jimmy would mean your stuck with him for two years, minimum.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Sure, if Romo is available, then he's an even better 'Win Now' option than Garoppolo. I haven't heard any announcements that he was yet.

But the thing is, if Pace went Romo (age 36), coming back from broken bone in his back injury, owed $20mil each of the next 3 years, one, is there a high risk of injury, two, Bears would still be without a QB for the future. There would be more of a look of 'selling out the future for a 2017 winning season', but just an appearance.

I only see them going for Romo if he's cut and don't see them going the way of trade and taking on that contract but who really knows. I wonder what kind of money/contract he'd want on a new deal.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Funny thing is I read this morning that Cris Carter is suggesting a Romo for JJ Watt deal.

WHAT?

He later throws in the Cowboys first rounder, almost as an afterthought (which gives you an idea how well he thought this out).

dabears584

Bears Fan For Life TT&T
Liked Posts:

He still has one year left on his rookie contract plus he can be franchised. Hence why I don't believe he'd be given a new contract just yet. That would be stupid for the Bears to do that. I have this good feeling that this guy is going to be a great QB in this league, and if he turns out to be just that, I'd prefer to see him in a Bears uniform having that kind of success. There's a risk with every move. I trust that Pace will make the right move whatever he does to address the position.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
BTW, regarding the title of this thread - the very last thing the Bears should be in, is "win-now" mode.

I believe they have an opportunity to get a lot of help this offseason, and can be a good team in 2017. But aiming to "win now" when rebuilding makes no sense.

Get as much talent as you can that will be here for the foreseeable future, but don't focus on one year help at the expense of that.

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
BTW, regarding the title of this thread - the very last thing the Bears should be in, is "win-now" mode.

I believe they have an opportunity to get a lot of help this offseason, and can be a good team in 2017. But aiming to "win now" when rebuilding makes no sense.

Get as much talent as you can that will be here for the foreseeable future, but don't focus on one year help at the expense of that.

But how long do you try and rebuild before you grab your nuts and at least try to create a window for a playoff contending team? Personally, I think we're a couple pieces away on D, and a QB away from contending. Annnd, you know where I'm going with this lol...

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
He still has one year left on his rookie contract plus he can be franchised. Hence why I don't believe he'd be given a new contract just yet. That would be stupid for the Bears to do that. I have this good feeling that this guy is going to be a great QB in this league, and if he turns out to be just that, I'd prefer to see him in a Bears uniform having that kind of success. There's a risk with every move. I trust that Pace will make the right move whatever he does to address the position.

Well as long as you have this good feeling then we should just go for it...lol. joking...kind of.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
We should pretend offer our 2018 1st to the Patriots for Jimmy. Just to get Bill's opinion on how well he thinks the Bears will do in 2017. If he doesn't do it, he probably thinks we will be competitive.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
But how long do you try and rebuild before you grab your nuts and at least try to create a window for a playoff contending team? Personally, I think we're a couple pieces away on D, and a QB away from contending. Annnd, you know where I'm going with this lol...

You don't do it two years after starting a 100% rebuild. You do it only when you have filled holes and built some depth.

You can turn a record around quickly in the NFL, and I have said I believe they are better than a 3-13 record indicates. But they are not a team ready to "go for it all", no matter whose nuts they grab.

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
You don't do it two years after starting a 100% rebuild. You do it only when you have filled holes and built some depth.

You can turn a record around quickly in the NFL, and I have said I believe they are better than a 3-13 record indicates. But they are not a team ready to "go for it all", no matter whose nuts they grab.

Imo, you just contradicted yourself. I believe we have filled holes, and built depth. Of course, things could always be better but I don't think we're that far off from doing as I said and creating a window with Brees.

Hehe

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Monumentally stupid to "go all in" to "create a (very very small) window for playoffs".

And trading for an expensive QB that's 50 and has to stand on his tiptoes is not the answer! :)

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:

The insanity will never end. Fact is Jimmy is the next elite QB so you better hope the Bears get him.

Here's the QB depth chart I'd like to see for the Bears next season.

Garoppolo - Hoyer - Mahomes

I give you the next elite starter, a top QB journey man, and another young gun you can trade off for a 1st or 2nd 2 or 3 years down the road when Jimmy Garoppolo is established as an elite NFL QB. Thank me now or thank me later. You will thank me.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
The insanity will never end. Fact is Jimmy is the next elite QB so you better hope the Bears get him.

Here's the QB depth chart I'd like to see for the Bears next season.

Garoppolo - Hoyer - Mahomes

I give you the next elite starter, a top QB journey man, and another young gun you can trade off for a 1st or 2nd 2 or 3 years down the road when Jimmy Garoppolo is established as an elite NFL QB. Thank me now or thank me later. You will thank me.

The insanity grows.

Draft Mahomes in the 2nd. Sit him behind two other QB's, one of which has proven he sucks, and then trade him for a first three years down the road as his rookie contract nears its end.