The Obvious Bears 'Win-Now' Offseason Scenario

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
The Obvious Bears 'Win-Now' Offseason Scenario

Many think Pace and Fox are in a "win in 2017 or get fired" mode. It being their third year, with the team record trending down 6-10 to 3-13, that's probably true enough for Fox (Pace probably safe). Bears have a ton of Cap Space to get a few key Free Agents.

Keeping it simple, Bears do this:

1. Bears trade for Jimmy Garoppolo for 2018 #1 Draft Pick (better yet, Romo if he becomes avl) -- No way to know the exact eventual price. Guess whatever you like... But the point is the 2016-dominating Patriots would likely agree deferring most of the price to 2018, namely Bears 1st Round pick. Add to that a lower 2017 pick (like a 3rd). Pats would prefer Garoppolo going out of conference.​

2. Sign a Top FA CB -- good FA CBs available, preferably a ball-hawk, and younger; (likely pair with Fuller)

3. Sign a Top FA Safety -- good FA Safeties available, preferably a ball-hawk, and younger; (likely pair with best of Houston-Carson, Bush or Amos)

4. Sign a Top FA TE -- Not many TEs available; go after Jared Cook/Trey Burton; (We'll get some 8 well-played games from Zack Miller, we also have Daniel Brown.)

5. Sign a Good FA OLB -- We likely cut Houston, need relative replacement

6. Re-sign Jeffery
-- Bears can sign a fair market price for Jeffery, who trended up in games available. (Beginning with Jeffery, White and Meredith, and add a good 2nd-string FA WR for depth.)

7. Draft Non-QB Best Players Available
-- 1st Round getting one of DEs Myles Garrett or Jonathan Allen. 2nd Round looking OT.

Other little details: Restructure McPhee; if very healthy, also Houston. Re-sign Larson, Deonte Thompson, Hoyer, Barkley, C. Washington. Sign mid-level FA Tackle and WR.

Partial Depth Chart:

QB - Garoppolo, Hoyer, Barkley
RB - Howard, Langford, Casey
WR1 - Jeffery, Meredith
WR2 - White, FA (midlevel), Thompson
TE - FA, Miller, Brown, Braunecker
LT - Leno, FA (midlevel)/2nd Rd
G - Sitton, Larsen
C - Grasu/Whitehair
G - Long
RT - Massie/Whitehair

CB1 - FA
CB2 - Fuller, Hall, LeBlanc, Callahan
S1 - FA
S2 - Houston-Carson, Bush, Amos
OLB1 - Floyd, Young
OLB2 - McPhee, FA/or Houston, Robertson-Harris
DE1 - Hicks, Bullard, Unrein
DE2 - 1st Rd, Washington
NT - Goldman, Sutton
IL1 - Freeman, Kwiatkoski
ILB2 - Trevathan,

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
You are screwing over the new HC/GM by dealing the 2018 1st rounder.
:p I'm not. Pace is.

I'm not saying it's what I would do. Besides, if Pace basically does what I'm saying, and Garoppolo does pretty good, Bears make the playoffs and Pace/Fox stay.

laputan

Liked Posts:
You're overpaying for a replacement level QB in Jimmy (= Hoyer = Barkley = McCarron = Glennon = Kaepernick etc.)

Upgrade at QB by getting Romo or go home.

dabears584

Bears Fan For Life TT&T
Liked Posts:
I'm all for Jimmy Garoppolo! Obviously I made a thread about it, as well. Some of these people on this board live in a box. It's possible JG could really be a big boom and be the leader the Bears offense needs. Give it a chance, if the trade does happen. All I'm saying is JG could be a damn good QB and Pace could do much worse in acquiring QBs.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
You're overpaying for a replacement level QB in Jimmy (= Hoyer = Barkley = McCarron = Glennon = Kaepernick etc.)

Upgrade at QB by getting Romo or go home.
Sure, if Romo is available, then he's an even better 'Win Now' option than Garoppolo. I haven't heard any announcements that he was yet.

But the thing is, if Pace went Romo (age 36), (coming back from broken bone in his back injury, owed $20mil each of the next 3 years,) one, is there a high risk of injury?, two, Bears would still be without a QB for the future. There would be more of a look of 'selling out the future for a 2017 winning season', but just an appearance.

laputan

Liked Posts:
Highest quarterback ratings among active NFL quarterbacks:

1. Rodgers (NFC final)
2. Wilson
3. Brady (AFC final)
4. Romo (Available!)
5. Brees
6. Rivers
7. Roethlisberger (AFC final)
8. Cousins
9. Matt Ryan (NFC final)

Last time an elite veteran QB was available was in 2012 when Manning joined the Broncos. You don't pass on this for Jimmy or McCarron replacement level mediocrity.

laputan

Liked Posts:
Sure, if Romo is available, then he's an even better 'Win Now' option than Garoppolo. I haven't heard any announcements that he was yet.

But the thing is, if Pace went Romo (age 36), coming back from broken bone in his back injury, owed $20 each of the next 3 years, Bears would still be without a QB for the future. There would be more of a look of 'selling out the future for a 2017 winning season', but just an appearance.

Selling out the future? He doesn't cost a high draft pick, we easily have the cap space, and you still draft a QB in the first round. The real question is not do we want him (that should be an emphatic YES), it's whether Pace can convince him to come here, that he can win here.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Selling out the future? He doesn't cost a high draft pick, we easily have the cap space, and you still draft a QB in the first round. The real question is not do we want him (that should be an emphatic YES), it's whether Pace can convince him to come here, that he can win here.
Good point. He's a better 'Win Now' option (Though Romo is under contract and may cost draft picks like Garoppolo).

He just hasn't been announced available yet.

laputan

Liked Posts:
Romo is owed $20mil each of the next 3 years.

If you traded for him, say a 3rd round pick, it would just be a 2 year commitment. By 2019, he could be released with only 3 million counting toward the cap. And there are other avenues including Jerry Jones outright releasing him.

That fantasy where we draft Trubisky and he actually develops into a top 10 QB in 3-5 years (a slim chance), we would have that now.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Highest quarterback ratings among active NFL quarterbacks:

1. Rodgers (NFC final)
2. Wilson
3. Brady (AFC final)
4. Romo (Available!)
5. Brees
6. Rivers
7. Roethlisberger (AFC final)
8. Cousins
9. Matt Ryan (NFC final)

Last time an elite veteran QB was available was in 2012 when Manning joined the Broncos. You don't pass on this for Jimmy or McCarron replacement level mediocrity.

I love Romo and think he's a great QB but it would be a mistake to sign him. He is no more than a back up QB at this point in his career. If he was a Manning type, I'd have some type of hope for him. But Romo is a guy that stands in the pocket looking for the big play. He also frequently extends plays. Romo's style of play and recurring shoulder/back injuries pretty much guarantee that he can no longer go through an entire season healthy.

dabears584

Bears Fan For Life TT&T
Liked Posts:
Yeah I'll pass on Romo 'cause I have doubts he'd even be worth that kind of money. Get your young franchise QB right now. That is not Tony Romo. I'd rather keep Cutler for another year, if that's the case, while our rookie QB is being groomed for a year or two ... but why wait that time out with Cutler starting, if you can get Jimmy G to come in and win right away?

laputan

Liked Posts:
I love Romo and think he's a great QB but it would be a mistake to sign him. He is no more than a back up QB at this point in his career. If he was a Manning type, I'd have some type of hope for him. But Romo is a guy that stands in the pocket looking for the big play. He also frequently extends plays. Romo's style of play and recurring shoulder/back injuries pretty much guarantee that he can no longer go through an entire season healthy.

We take that chance. Hoyer broke his arm, Jay hurt his thumb, Garoppolo separated his shoulder. Manning missed 6 games last season but still led his team to the super bowl. Shit happens, we take that chance and have a capable backup like Hoyer in place.

laputan

Liked Posts:
fb0e3c4dbec80e72e10f298c88907306057cd6158d3dd9b9d6d1a5a2a623bd56.jpg

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Romo is one fucking hit from becoming a paraplegic, are you out of your fucking mind?
Paying to much for JG, not a fan of the buy now pay later option. Offer up a second and call it a day.
Resign AJ at what cost?

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Romo is old and brittle and expensive. No thanks. Go with a young guy. Draft or trade I don't care but I don't want some old guy that has not played a full season in years.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
1. DE Jonathan Allen
2. S Budda Baker
3. OT Adam Bistonaway
4. My guess is we need to include a pick this season for Jimmy G
4. CB Rasaul Douglas
5. WR
7. TE/RB

That with Jimmy would make me happy.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Omg when will this Jimmy insanity end? Dude is a late second round draft pick with 1.5 starts in an offense that EVERYONE can plug into and win, and he also needs a multi-year extension before he throws a single ball for you. Why the fuck would anyone want to do this? It's the dumbest ongoing idea this board has kept talking about since I've been posting here.

He has done nothing to suggest he's worth more than a 2nd now, and if the Bears were going to use a 2nd I'd much rather just draft our own.

Washington

Liked Posts:
I'm really gun shy about trading for other teams' trash at QB after Mirer and Cutty. I want nothing to do with the old man Romo. No band-aids. I'd prefer to see the organization actually try to get a real QB via the draft and do this right versus throwing all this cash at FA. Throwing a ton of cash at FA rarely works out. Keep drafting QBs until you get it right and keep drafting them after you get it right. I don't care if it takes longer to get to the promised land if the team is better built for long term success. Sniffing .500 next year would be a huge improvement and good enough for me. 6-10 with a rookie QB would work for me too.