Things that have become clearer about the Bears off season

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
This is QB centric because thats the hot topic this off season but these thoughts are not exclusive to QB.

Number one I had been all in on getting Jimmy G if at all possible based a lot on Bill Polian's recommendations but after reading some old scouting reports I see he has small hands for a QB. This gives me big time doubts he will become a franchise QB in this pass happy era. Maybe a good QB but franchise type I am just not buying at this moment.

I really wanted to buy in on Watson but the more I research him the more I believe he is a quality college QB who will be average in the NFL at best. This guy has great intangibles but everything else seems shaky to me. There are just too many ways his career can go sideways to draft him in the first round at 3.

Kizer is tempting and a better option than Watson but I just have too many doubts about him for the Bears to blow their best draft pick in decades on him. It just feels like too much of a gamble if there is an elite pass rusher on the board with this pick. This pick needs to be either a QB or someone who can jump start the pass rush into the elite category because both roles can improve the performance of many other players. We can find secondary guys in FA and the second round if needed. As they just dont have the same impact in improving the play of other players as these two roles do.

The safest bet in the first round is still Trubisky who is green but shows he has the basics for what I believe makes a quality QB. These are that the intangibles make the man and his accuracy makes his vision become a reality on the field. His teammates swear by Mitch and the rest of his package screams pro-typical successful NFL QB.

In my mind the Bears QB draft options as far as a franchise QB goes is a two horse race between Trubisky and Mahomes. Mahomes seems much more of a gamble than Trubisky but he also appears to have a higher ceiling to go along with his lower possible floor. Mahomes IMO has the biggest charisma IT factor of any QB in this draft. Both of these guys are at least a year or two away from starting in the NFL but I believe Mahomes is the more likely of the two to become a truly elite NFL QB who goes deep into the playoffs as a regular thing.

If Trubisky falls to three they should grab him as their backs are against the wall with their QB situation and they dont have the luxury of gambling Mahomes will be available. If Trubisky is not at 3 then they should try to move up into the latter part of the first round to get Mahomes who might not get past the Cards at 13 but more than a few teams will probably feel he is worth the risk with a low number one pick given his enormous upside.

These playoffs have clearly highlighed how important QB’s are in the NFL but this is no newsflash. However what is kind of a sneaky reveal is that both the Pats and Packers get big time production out of the shorter faster wideouts with great hands. So if the Bears do decide to take a pass on AJ or even if they do keep him for now, they really need to identify an FA or draft pick who has great hands and can go 0 to 60 in a flash if they want to create an all purpose receiver group which has the potential to be a dominant force. Getting someone like this now makes it easier for the Bears to move into life after AJ whether its this season or down the road.

This draft is deep in corners and TE’s however it is much more likely they can get a starter quality TE with their 3rd pick than a starting corner so I conclude that they should do all of the secondary shopping in FA.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I really wanted to buy in on Watson but the more I research him the more I believe he is a quality college QB who will be average in the NFL at best. This guy has great intangibles but everything else seems shaky to me. There are just too many ways his career can go sideways to draft him in the first round at 3.

Kizer is tempting and a better option than Watson but I just have too many doubts about him for the Bears to blow their best draft pick in decades on him. It just feels like too much of a gamble if there is an elite pass rusher on the board with this pick.

I remember a few years ago talking about drafting a QB around the 2012/13 time and moving on from Cutler. People kept saying it's a waste to pick a QB in the middle of the round because the good QBs will be gone, and that it's better to wait until we have a high pick.

Cue 2017, we have the 3rd overall and now people are saying it's too much of a gamble to pick a QB that high because they might bust, so let's just take a defender instead. FFS.

Finally a chance to take a shot at a potential impact talent at the most important position (by far - nothing else is in the same stratosphere in terms of importance) and half the fans are wanting to pass on the chance, and want to get some defensive player. Sometimes I think this fan base deserves all the frustration and disappointment it gets.

Seriously, unless you happen to picking first overall in a year that a flawless prospect comes out (manning/Luck/once a decade type thing), EVERY qb will have flaws and areas to tighten up. There's no better time to take a swing than now.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
I remember a few years ago talking about drafting a QB around the 2012/13 time and moving on from Cutler. People kept saying it's a waste to pick a QB in the middle of the round because the good QBs will be gone, and that it's better to wait until we have a high pick.

Cue 2017, we have the 3rd overall and now people are saying it's too much of a gamble to pick a QB that high because they might bust, so let's just take a defender instead. FFS.

Finally a chance to take a shot at a potential impact talent at the most important position (by far - nothing else is in the same stratosphere in terms of importance) and half the fans are wanting to pass on the chance, and want to get some defensive player. Sometimes I think this fan base deserves all the frustration and disappointment it gets.

Seriously, unless you happen to picking first overall in a year that a flawless prospect comes out (manning/Luck/once a decade type thing), EVERY qb will have flaws and areas to tighten up. There's no better time to take a swing than now.

This is quite a legitimate opinion. This is all a crapshoot based on opinions. Months ago I was certain a Jon Allen Pat Mahomes draft was the only way to go now after seriously reconsidering all the options I believe Trubisky should be the first option. Kizer could very well turn out to be worthy of the Bears number 3 pick. Anyone who in this draft scout HC fan etc who says they know for certain which is the best way to go is full of crap. The key to picking a QB in this draft perhaps most drafts will be the interview. Thanks to Gruden we all get a chance to see their personalities. Last year Wentz and Prescott were the best at them and that litmus test proved to be quite accurate.

If the Bears pick Kizer I will not bitch about it and root like hell for the guy hoping for the best because we have no real choice and it could all work out for the best.

Beast15

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I agree with this.I just wish the bears had said QB on roster, because I would LOVE to see one of hooker or adams in the secondary

greg23

Liked Posts:
I'm all aboard Trubisky at 3.....just have a feeling one of the two qb desperate teams above us will take him (other with take garrett) leaving the bears a pick away from their desired player; again.

Don't think Allen is #3 pick worthy and #3 is probably too high for a safety like hooker or Adams (although I'd love either on the bears over allen). Also not sold on Watson at 3 and Kizer seems like a home run/strikeout pick.

I'd be for grappolo, but only if we didn't get trubisky and not for the #3 pick in the draft (or a future #1).

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Wishing a QB worth the #3 overall pick was there doesn't make it so.

I don't think fans who want to draft the best player available are stupid. IF a QB was available worth the #3, then take him. But drafting an EJ Manuel or Geno Smith because QB is an important position will not make it a wise pick.

Every single year, some team(s) take a QB in the first because they don't have a good QB, and every year there are busts in the first for that reason.

That's not to say other players can't or don't bust. But to suggest the Bears reach simply because they have no QB is a poor way to build a team.

Washington

Liked Posts:

This is spot on. You have to at least try. Heck, Cleveland at least tries. It's been 77 years since we last drafted a franchise QB and the law of averages says we'll get lucky eventually. Hell, the Cubs won a World Series so hell can freeze over. It seems like no time is ever right to some fans to swing for the fences to try to fix the most important position on an NFL team. So many even applaud the mediocrity.

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:

It really depends on Paces' big board. I hear what you're saying but I'd be against reaching for a QB just because we need one, especially at the expense of passing on a true blue chip player. We'll never know, but unless Paces' big board has a QB ranked top 12-14, then I couldn't fault him for passing on one at 3. When you have a glaring need often times you have to and should reach, but only so far, imo.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
The only real gamble or at least its a gamble for QB IMO, I would take at 3 is Kizer. However the safer "gamble" is to take a guy at 3 that elevates the pass rush and do what it takes to trade up probably into the first round and grab Mahomes. So for you guys who want to go for it this draft for a QB would it qualify as going for it and or would you prefer Kizer at 3 or trading up and drafting Mahomes in the latter to mid first round?

jts1207

Liked Posts:

I don't think fans who want to draft the best player available are stupid. IF a QB was available worth the #3, then take him. But drafting an EJ Manuel or Geno Smith because QB is an important position will not make it a wise pick.

Every single year, some team(s) take a QB in the first because they don't have a good QB, and every year there are busts in the first for that reason.

That's not to say other players can't or don't bust. But to suggest the Bears reach simply because they have no QB is a poor way to build a team.

This is spot on. People can't grasp this concept. There is no QB worth 3.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:

Totally disagree. These are not Christian Ponder prospects out there in the upcoming draft.

Beast15

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It really depends on Paces' big board. I hear what you're saying but I'd be against reaching for a QB just because we need one, especially at the expense of passing on a true blue chip player. We'll never know, but unless Paces' big board has a QB ranked top 12-14, then I couldn't fault him for passing on one at 3. When you have a glaring need often times you have to and should reach, but only so far, imo.

On point

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

A big reason for the questioning of taking a QB at 3 is the questions all of these QB's have but that all could change the closer we get to the draft and i don't know which QB's you're talking about that we were talking about in the 2012/13 draft but maybe they didn't have the questions that this class does......in January that is.

Luke

Liked Posts:

Mark Dominik stated that the comfortable reach for a QB is when he is ranked in the top 10 of your board much like the 1-2 QB's in the last two draft probably were. when asked what is the lowest pick to use, he said the limit should be 16 or the very end of the top half. So if there is a QB at #3 and Pace has him ranked in the top half of his board, then that's cool. But if he has them ranked at the bottom of the first or lower like most of the recently released boards do, then he shouldn't over reach for one and pass on a blue chip prospect. so what u said.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:

In the 2013 draft EJ Manuel was taken with the 16th pick and Geno Smith was taken with the first pick in the second round Mike Glennon was picked with the 73rd pick 3rd round Matt Barkley was picked at the top of the 4th round. . Dion Jordan, Mingo and Dee Milliner all went top 10. Sheldon Richardson and Star Lotulelei went 13 and 14.

In the 2012 draft Luck and RG3 were 1 and 2 Tannehil 8 Weeden 22 Osweiler 57 2nd round Russell Wilson 75 3rd round. So IMO Luck and Wilson were the only guys worth the 3rd pick in any draft maybe RG3 and they went 1 and 2. Morris Claibourne and Mark Barron went 6 and 7. Kuechly Stephne Gilmore and Dontari Poe went 9, 10, 11.

I believe this makes a good case to tread cautiously with passing an elite defender for a QB with reasonably big question marks at 3. I am trying to keep an open mind but Trubisky at 3 and Mahomes mid first to early 2nd round still makes the most sense to me.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
Mark Dominik stated that the comfortable reach for a QB is when he is ranked in the top 10 of your board much like the 1-2 QB's in the last two draft probably were. when asked what is the lowest pick to use, he said the limit should be 16 or the very end of the top half. So if there is a QB at #3 and Pace has him ranked in the top half of his board, then that's cool. But if he has them ranked at the bottom of the first or lower like most of the recently released boards do, then he shouldn't over reach for one and pass on a blue chip prospect. so what u said.

What QB's outside of Trubisky do any of you believe Pace has ranked top 10 material?

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I really don't think it's a reach. It's an opportunity. The media says the QB class is bad every year. The top 3 this year is actually pretty good. Better than last year. Assuming they're going to be EJ Manuel is irrational.

When do you think the Bears are going to get a better chance than this? With even average injury luck, and with the amount of $$ they have to invest in FA, this is more like a .500 team than a 3-win team. Do you really think they're going to bet a better prospect with the 17th pick next year?

You have to try. We never do, and we pay the price. 5-techs and safeties don't win Superbowls. This is a shot at finally getting an impact player at QB and people want to just let it pass. I just can't get my head around it.

Last edited:

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers

For the record, I'm for taking a defender first because I think it's possible to get both. That said, I won't be upset if we take a QB.