dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
This. I also think it is unwise to play around with value. I know you have already said this effectively here but let me just add one bit of perspective.

Some say go defensive stud and pick up Mahomes or Webb or (insert 2nd round "Value" QB). Mick has already eloquently stated why a franchise QB is far more valuable than franchise defensive anything.

My addition is that handcuffs Pace. He almost literally HAS to go QB in the 2nd and every other GM in the league knows it. He will be at an extreme disadvantage even to the point where he is wide open to getting trade raped at "gunpoint" by a team ahead of him in late 1st/early 2nd. Want to jump up? give us next year's 1st/2nd or whatever. Do it and get your QB or don't and risk failing to get your QB!

Mick is 100% right here. If you think ANY QB is a franchise guy for the next decade, you don't play around. Take the QB at 3 and then where do you go at 2? S? CB? Pass rusher? TE? OT? The answer is all of the above is on the table and if QB goes at 3, Pace isn't backed into a corner down the line.

I think we're all saying this same thing but some are just saying it in a different way. I already said this but anyone that doesn't think Pace should take a QB at 3 if one is sitting there that he believes is franchise changing then that person or persons don't understand how important a QB is to a team.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
And if you don't? What does that mean at pick 3 or 2nd round or 3rd round or ??? There is zero consensus that any QB coming this year is a sure shot at being a Franchise QB by any experts I can find. There is no Luck, Stafford, Ryan in this draft, at least not that I've read up on. At best, you might hit on a Dak Prescott but is that worthy of pick at 3? He sure wasn't worthy last year, he was worthy of round 3.

But none of us or any of these experts get to sit in on one of the most important parts of deciding if that QB is the guy you want starting for your team which is the interview process and when they put that QB on the white board to check is football IQ for plays. I would think all GM's wait until after they sit with each of these kids before they place them on their draft boards.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I find it funny that the Bears picked Cedric Benson and David Terrell in the drafts where they could have had Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees.

Benson was a stud RB from Texas, but the Bears already had Thomas Jones and Grossman was already having 'durability' issues as well as not being any good. Picking Rodgers would have made sense, as he was projected 1-2 overall and the Bears still had a big question mark at QB.

Brees wasn't projected as high as Rodgers, but he was very impressive at Purdue. Teams shied away from Brees because of his height, but the Bears had previously spent a high pick on the short Cade McNown. The Terrell pick was terrible...a slow WR from Michigan who couldn't catch in traffic and with a plethora of red flags. I didn't understand the pick at the time.

Oh good we get to read about what the Bears did 10-15 years ago. How many QB's did they pass on in the 1987 draft or the 1977 draft??

Talk about stupid fucking posts. Do you give out awards for stupid fucking posts to?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wishing a QB worth the #3 overall pick was there doesn't make it so.

I don't think fans who want to draft the best player available are stupid. IF a QB was available worth the #3, then take him. But drafting an EJ Manuel or Geno Smith because QB is an important position will not make it a wise pick.

Every single year, some team(s) take a QB in the first because they don't have a good QB, and every year there are busts in the first for that reason.

That's not to say other players can't or don't bust. But to suggest the Bears reach simply because they have no QB is a poor way to build a team.

I agree with this but personaly think Trubisky worth the pick. We've learned there's no sure things. You point to Geno Smith which I agree was a reach but there are plenty that weren't and fail as well. I've got Kizer in my top 3 but he'll need to show more accuracy in workouts to earn it. He's actually not there yet for me even though his potential is huge. Only a fan so not worth more than opinion and I also really like Hooker early. If Trubisky is gone, I could easily see us taking a position player at 3 and trading back into one for our pick of what's left at QB before Cleveland (3rd pck) or SF have their next picks.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
From a draft perspective, looking at rankings of prospects is flawed because it ignores positional value as these grades are not interchangeable. A guy with say an 9.5 grade at another position still may not be as valuable as a QB with a 8.5 grade because the latter plays the most important position. Trubisky might be the 15th rated prospect overall but if that equates to a GM thinking he has a good chance of being a top 10 QB then I am not going to pass on that for Myles Garrett even if I think Garret can become the best DE in the NFL. Or if Hooker becomes Earl Thomas and getting him means I missed out on a top 10 QB then that's simply a bad choice for a team in desperate need of a QB.

QB again is by far the most valuable position so a prospect at another position would have to have a grade that is massively higher than the top QBs for me to take them IMO. Maybe that is the case here but I doubt it and right now I don't think any of the people bashing this QB class can say with any degree of certainty how much better Garrett or anyone else is relative to a top QB.

The rankings mean nothing. What matters is the actual disparity in grades. If the difference between the 1st prospect and 15th prospect is small then you'd be a fool to not draft a QB because of that. And with QBs, I think the biggest part of the puzzle missing is the combine/pro days where teams will interview these guys and as part of that start to get an understanding of how well these guys understand coverages and concepts. You really can't fully judge a QB until you gauge their intelligence which is something only NFL teams can do because they get the chance to sit down with these guys and go over X's and O's.

One of the reasons Philly fell in love with Wentz is because in interviews they realized the dude had a near photographic memory. Something you don't pick up on just watching a game. Hence why he was able to digest the playbook despite missing time in preseason.

This and no matter how often we say it, it wont register.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I've never seen anyone opine that Pace should just draft a QB even if he doesn't like him, just for the sake of taking a QB. I had assumed that the whole "if Pace thinks the guy is a legit potential franchise player" was kind of a given.

I have. I have seen "If Pace doesn't pick a QB at 3 he should be fired."

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
I think there is more pressure to obtain a QB this year then any year I can remember. Pace put us here and now Pace has big pressure to fix it. I don't like drafting desperate. If we pass on elite D talent for a flop QB this rebuild starts over with a new staff. We would all love to be the GM but this year shows how tough the job really is. I almost feel bad for Pace. Except he put us in this position. I don't know what the answer is but we can't miss on another 1st rd draft pick. He needs to draft BPA in the first and take his chances after that. If he feels there is a QB is worth the 3 pick then great but please don't reach.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
While I don't agree with such a black and white statement, I think that line of thinking is more about his failure to identify QBs and address the position. I wouldn't say "pick one at 3 or you're out", but if he comes away from this draft without using an early pick to make a serious attempt to draft a potential franchise QB, I do think serious questions need to be asked about a GM who came in acknowledging the importance of the position and then completely failing to identify and acquire talent three straight years.

I don't think it's going to come to that though because I think he will draft one in the first round, whether it's at 3 or not.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
But none of us or any of these experts get to sit in on one of the most important parts of deciding if that QB is the guy you want starting for your team which is the interview process and when they put that QB on the white board to check is football IQ for plays. I would think all GM's wait until after they sit with each of these kids before they place them on their draft boards.

If this qb class had kids worthy of going in the top 5, we would know it. Take last year as an example. At this time last year everyone knew 2 qb's would get drafted at the top or near it, the only question was order. No combine necessary, their body of work was enough.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If this qb class had kids worthy of going in the top 5, we would know it. Take last year as an example. At this time last year everyone knew 2 qb's would get drafted at the top or near it, the only question was order. No combine necessary, their body of work was enough.

This isn't going to be true no matter how many times you repeat it.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-dr...draft-titans-joey-bosa-chargers-laremy-tunsil

Very first NFL mock I found from January a year ago, and it had Goff at 2 and actual #2 overall pick Carson Wentz being the third QB off the board at #22.

Every year the media "experts" say it's a bad QB class and have them projected as later picks, and every year many of you guys just accept their words as gospel, and then the actual NFL GMs who understand the value of the QB position make them look completely stupid.

This year, by comparison, I've already seen mocks with Trubisky, Kizer and Watson in the top 10, and have read talk of all three of them being potential targets for Cleveland with the first overall pick. This is a better class than last year for the top 3.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

WHO? and WHEN?

These statements amaze me. I'm involved in nearly EVERY draft discussion on this board and don't see them. Yet shit like the above is said.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
While I don't agree with such a black and white statement, I think that line of thinking is more about his failure to identify QBs and address the position. I wouldn't say "pick one at 3 or you're out", but if he comes away from this draft without using an early pick to make a serious attempt to draft a potential franchise QB, I do think serious questions need to be asked about a GM who came in acknowledging the importance of the position and then completely failing to identify and acquire talent three straight years.

I don't think it's going to come to that though because I think he will draft one in the first round, whether it's at 3 or not.

What QB's has Pace passed on that look like they're gonna be good QB's in the NFL? Besides Dak of course. Serious question.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-dr...draft-titans-joey-bosa-chargers-laremy-tunsil

Very first NFL mock I found from January a year ago, and it had Goff at 2 and actual #2 overall pick Carson Wentz being the third QB off the board at #22.

Every year the media "experts" say it's a bad QB class and have them projected as later picks, and every year many of you guys just accept their words as gospel, and then the actual NFL GMs who understand the value of the QB position make them look completely stupid.

This year, by comparison, I've already seen mocks with Trubisky, Kizer and Watson in the top 10, and have read talk of all three of them being potential targets for Cleveland with the first overall pick. This is a better class than last year for the top 3.

This is entirely correct.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

To this point:
For Christ sakes there was a mock draft with a guy going #3 overall to the Bears who ended up not even declaring for the draft!

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
What QB's has Pace passed on that look like they're gonna be good QB's in the NFL? Besides Dak of course. Serious question.

Lynch.

2015 is kind of irrelevant though because we know he made a move for Mariota and 2016 is kind of irrelevant too in a way. He made the Mariota move knowing what 2016 would look like.

I think your question is kind pointless though, Mick's overall point is Pace needs to ID his guy in this draft and go after him and make sure he gets him.

It's too bad Pace's back is against the wall in this draft in some ways because next year's QB class has the potential to be '83/'99 levels of hype good.

Luke

Liked Posts:

this, and the fact that Dak got the DUI 6 weeks before the draft made teams very leery of wasting a draft pick on him. Fact is all 32 teams passed on him for 4 full rounds until Dallas too a shot with their Compensatory pick at 135. If they would have had any inclination that he would have performed half this well, they would have taken him with their own 4th round pick at 101.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
this, and the fact that Dak got the DUI 6 weeks before the draft made teams very leery of wasting a draft pick on him. Fact is all 32 teams passed on him for 4 full rounds until Dallas too a shot with their Compensatory pick at 135. If they would have had any inclination that he would have performed half this well, they would have taken him with their own 4th round pick at 101.

Dak is one of those rare later round picks that looks good early. My point isn't about Dak, it's about identifying the best of the talent at the top of the draft, and dispelling this persistently circulated myth about the weak class and how if anyone was worth it they'd already be projected there. That simply isn't the case, as has been proven.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Lynch.

2015 is kind of irrelevant though because we know he made a move for Mariota and 2016 is kind of irrelevant too in a way. He made the Mariota move knowing what 2016 would look like.

I think your question is kind pointless though, Mick's overall point is Pace needs to ID his guy in this draft and go after him and make sure he gets him.

It's too bad Pace's back is against the wall in this draft in some ways because next year's QB class has the potential to be '83/'99 levels of hype good.

A good GM shouldn't be afraid to take a QB 2 years in a row. Browns took Kessler in the 3rd and likely will take another one this year. Maybe in 2017, Kessler plays a couple games and looks really good while the rookie is sitting or hurt. Kessler is now good trade bait.