Safety Position - Offseason

EaCoBear

Liked Posts:
I don't want to dabble with M. Hyde or others. I want Berry or Adams/Hooker at 3. I just don't want to ignore or not fully address the situation. I would not be opposed to signing Berry and also drafting Adams/Hooker. Vic as always valued Safety over Cornerback.

I know Berry and drafting may be much, but suppose Hooker/Adams became a player that went to 5+ Pro Bowls, we'd be fine. At 3, I think getting any position that produces at that level, you take it.

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
We'd contend for a SB with Drew Brees and your safety scenario.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
It seems to me, and I'm anything but an expert, that the QB and safety position for the Bears are intertwined. If Lovie had a competent safety once Mike Brown was done I don't think Phil fires him. If we had a competent safety we beat the Packers and Trestman has a playoff appearance on his resume. Daniel Jeremiah said Hooker was the best safety prospect he's seen in some time. If a guy like Hooker can be good (and certainly also Jamal Adams) and he can hold that position for 10 years, I'm willing to pull the trigger on them. I just think both of those guys can be something special.

Treehorn

Liked Posts:
But does Berry WANT to come to the Bears?

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
I sign Berry and draft Allen. Our front four puts a ton of pressure on the qb and that would help the secondary. Signing Berry improves the secondary even more. We become a top 5 defense with these two moves.

mrc23

Liked Posts:
We really need 3 safeties, if we're being realistic. The position is a disaster right now.

Washington

Liked Posts:
If Berry doesn't come here, we still need 2 safeties. I'd be on board with Hyde and Jefferson. IMO, #3 is too high for Hooker or Adams.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We really need 3 safeties, if we're being realistic. The position is a disaster right now.

Amos is more than adequate as a depth player, I'd put a veteran minimum player and an UDFA in competition with Bush and be fine with it (because we could also switch Deondre Hall or Fuller if pressed).

If we get the two starters from Hooker/Adams and one of Berry/Cyprien/Jefferson.

Position group fixed.

Reactions: 1ke

EaCoBear

Liked Posts:
If Berry doesn't come here, we still need 2 safeties. I'd be on board with Hyde and Jefferson. IMO, #3 is too high for Hooker or Adams.

I cannot recall if it was Adams or Hooker, but I recall a comparison to Ed Reed. Would you take an Ed Reed at #3?

As I said, if it is a multiple Pro-Bowler at 3, I don't really care for the position. I mean honestly, if I drafted a OG who became a multi All-Pro at 3, I think I would have to consider it a success.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Amos is more than adequate as a depth player, I'd put a veteran minimum player and an UDFA in competition with Bush and be fine with it (because we could also switch Deondre Hall or Fuller if pressed).

If we get the two starters from Hooker/Adams and one of Berry/Cyprien/Jefferson.

Position group fixed.

why cyprien? he is an older version of amos, a guy who doesnt do well in coverage and is better as a in the box safety.
berry is not leaving the chiefs, either he'll be tagged or get signed long term.
jefferson and church are probably the best safety options that will be available...
personally i'd love to see the bears take hooker and pair him with whoever they sign in free agency.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I cannot recall if it was Adams or Hooker, but I recall a comparison to Ed Reed. Would you take an Ed Reed at #3?

As I said, if it is a multiple Pro-Bowler at 3, I don't really care for the position. I mean honestly, if I drafted a OG who became a multi All-Pro at 3, I think I would have to consider it a success.

It is Hooker that's being compared to Ed Reed. And the reason he's in the discussion at #3 is because Hooker has the potential to become the best safety EVER.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I don't want to dabble with M. Hyde or others. I want Berry or Adams/Hooker at 3. I just don't want to ignore or not fully address the situation. I would not be opposed to signing Berry and also drafting Adams/Hooker. Vic as always valued Safety over Cornerback.

I know Berry and drafting may be much, but suppose Hooker/Adams became a player that went to 5+ Pro Bowls, we'd be fine. At 3, I think getting any position that produces at that level, you take it.

After 10 years of having no safety, beating the hell out of the position sounds OK right now. FA has quality. The draft has quality and depth. Address the shit out of that position.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
It is Hooker that's being compared to Ed Reed. And the reason he's in the discussion at #3 is because Hooker has the potential to become the best safety EVER.

Well, that's pretty optimistic. For a guy projected to be the best ever, you'd think he'd at least be the consensus #1, but Adams is projected ahead of Hooker as often as not.

I would prefer Hooker, but saying "best ever"? Pump the brakes.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, that's pretty optimistic. For a guy projected to be the best ever, you'd think he'd at least be the consensus #1, but Adams is projected ahead of Hooker as often as not.

I would prefer Hooker, but saying "best ever"? Pump the brakes.

The only reason he's not the consensus #1 is inexperience.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
AJ Bouye, Tony Jefferson, Hooker at #3, and perhaps another CB in rounds 2-4. If it's a deep class, take advantage of it and actually make the secondary a strength - with depth and play makers -

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
AJ Bouye, Tony Jefferson, Hooker at #3, and perhaps another CB in rounds 2-4. If it's a deep class, take advantage of it and actually make the secondary a strength - with depth and play makers -

I like these suggestions. Bouye or Gilmore at CB in FA. Jefferson (FA) and Hooker and drafting someone like Eddie Jackson in the 3rd or 4th. Or if the Bears go pass rusher or QB in the first then I think Marcus Williams (Utah) could be an interesting 2nd round pick (don't think he lasts till the 3rd) to fill the FS slot.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cyprien and Hooker. SS and FS.

What if Hooker drops a 4.2 at the combine or something, think he could go 1 or 2?

bearfan06

Liked Posts:
Cyprien and Hooker. SS and FS.

What if Hooker drops a 4.2 at the combine or something, think he could go 1 or 2?

no i don't think so there will be one QB taken and the other one will be garrett (depending something unforseen like a injury)

hooker would be a solid pick at 3. he is already a real dynamic ballhawk whose arrow will only go up with more experience.

allen has played on the best DEF and still shined there but his shoulders are a big concern for me and you can get a solid DE in later rounds or FA, there isn't that huge drop off like after the two top S in hooker and adams

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
But does Berry WANT to come to the Bears?

He will certainly have his pick as to where he wants to play assuming he doesn't sign with Chiefs, just going to be who can over the most $$$$$$$$