A Jimmy Butler trade - What would it take?

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd do it for the Celtics package.

The other two..Nah.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Crys was right in the first reply, there really is no reason to think about trades or the draft until you know what is your FO situation. I'd like to think that Gar is gone, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see him again.

I can definitely understand that and didn't think about it in that way. That being said, I think the Bulls if they are going to trade Jimmy it needs ot be this off-season to ensure we get an adequate return and also because you have fringe teams like the Celtics and Sixers who have extremely valuable draft selections they maybe more willing to part with as they search for star players to help them contend.

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
What I'd want would be s a pair of starters, not role players, not bangers, not great defenders who can work on their shot, but shooters who could get their own shot. Combined I'm looking at 28 points a game between them, 12-16, 13-15, 14-14. Add to that a pair of lottery picks that come in non consecutive years. I don't want two in one year, that's too many rookies for too few minutes. Even in consecutive years you're adding another important young player before you've seen if the first can develop and while you're still sorting through veterans who may or may not step up.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
What about this proposal?

Boston Celtics receive:

Jimmy Butler

The Chicago Bulls receive:

Jae Crowder
Marcus Smart
Amir Johnson (for salary purposes)
Brooklyn's 2017 first round pick
Brookyln's 2018 first round pick

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Boston Celtics receive:

Jimmy Butler

Jae Crowder
Marcus Smart

So, you think Jimmy Butler is worth those 3 players the number 1 pick in the draft and probably a top 5 pick the next year. No, that would be suicide for Boston. Butler doesnt put Boston over the top. 2017 draft is stacked. Boston is in great shape to make a run in the coming years. Going all in now makes no sense with how high these Brooklyn picks are the next two years.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls

Boston Celtics receive:

Jimmy Butler

Jae Crowder
Marcus Smart

Never going to happen.

If that gets offered, then sorry Jimmy, much love, but I'm going to take it. That's the Bulls instant rebuild in one offseason IMO. No way Wade stays, no way Rondo stays, so you can attempt to trade them as rentals for even more assets, tank the season, and bam, you have two lottery picks and cap flexibility to bring a few vets in.

Hammer

Liked Posts:
IMO, a combination of...

Amir Johnson or Tyler Zeller (one of them, for Salary Cap purposes)
Jalen Brown or Marcus Smart (one of them, high end young talent)
Brooklyn 1st round pick in 2017 or 2018 (one blue chip, basically guaranteed Top 5 pick)

... would probably be highest bid the Celtics offer to acquire Jimmy Butler.

So let's say a combination of Brooklyn 2017 Top 5 pick (ideal for Bulls to acquire young PG talent), SG/SF Jalen Brown (basically a "new Jimmy" to be developed) and a Cap fill in (C Zeller).
Would you say yes or no to that offer.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
IMO, a combination of...

Brooklyn 1st round pick in 2017 or 2018 (one blue chip, basically guaranteed Top 5 pick)

So let's say a combination of Brooklyn 2017 Top 5 pick (ideal for Bulls to acquire young PG talent), SG/SF Jalen Brown (basically a "new Jimmy" to be developed) and a Cap fill in (C Zeller).
Absolutely because of that 2017 pick. But I think Boston keeps that one.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
IMO, a combination of...

I would but the Bulls probably wouldn't. Does Jalen Brown ever develop into an all-star? Does the #5 selection ever become top a top 15 player in the league? Does Garpax fuck up the pick? The Bulls aren't going to accept any deal without both Nets picks and Ainge isn't going to include them both. I don't see a deal getting done.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If we are doing pipe dreams...great I'm in. "I'll take Blake Griffin plus your best young guy, and Michael Jordan next year...then Kareem but only if its not consecutive to getting Michael...I want a year in between that, and then we can get Kobe with our own pick."

Ok.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Boston should be selling off the parts of their own ill thunk team to dip several times into this next draft.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
I'd trade Jimmy just for about anything at this point. He is turning into a cancer. The objective is not really to get a good return for Jimmy but to get young players/picks. The real rebuild happens by sucking for the next 3 seasons or so to get consistent lottery picks in the top 5.

Wade could be traded but it would just be for expiring contracts that make salaries match up
Jerry's goal is to get the 8th seed to lose in the 1st round. That's all that matters to him.

The cancer of the team is definitely the front office.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The cancer of the team is definitely the front office.

That is right. The idiocy of the front office tries to make Jimmy look like an asshole just like they tried to make Thibs the ass-hole. Smart people know better. The Bulls have two would-be tough guys in top management. Thibs and Jimmy are legit tough guys. The other two are weak-assed bullies.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
It'll be interesting to see if anything with Minnesota pops up again, especially after LaVine tore his ACL. Now, there is no way LaVine and Dunn will get a deal done. You gotta include their 2017 1st round pick and probably more.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
When Reinny dies, who will own the Bulls and White Sox? At this point in both franchises, I think that we need to hope that after he dies, something like what happened with the Black Hawks occurs. The problem with both franchises is Reinny and you can't fire the owner:(

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Michael will own Jerry's shares. He doesn't own 100% of either, his investment firm owns the majority of both along with a few other investors. There was also a time where Jordan was going to get some shares of the Bulls in Jerry's LWAT. This was before the Wizards investment.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
The Bulls will probably be in the hands of Michael Reinsdorf. The Sox are another story all together, as he wants his executors to sell his shares upon his death. Whether they do or not, is another question.