A Jimmy Butler trade - What would it take?

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
The longer I think this drama continues, the more likely the Bulls look to move Butler (as well as guys with value like Wade and those who create controversy like Rondo). There are definitely two teams that have been rumoured to have been already involved in trade talks for Butler (Minnesota and Boston). There is also I think one other team who may look to acquire his services - the 76ers.

Here is what a trade may look like with one of these teams -

Boston Celtics receive -

Jimmy Butler

The Chicago Bulls receive -

Jaylen Brown
Marcus Smart
Amir Johnson (for salary purposes)
Brooklyn's 2018 first round pick.

-

Minnesota Timberwolves receive -

Jimmy Butler

Chicago Bulls receive -

Zach Lavine
Shabazz Muhammad
Nikola Pekovic (salary)
2017 first round pick unprotected

-

Philadelphia Sixers receive -

Jimmy Butler

Chicago Bulls receive -

Nerlens Noel or Jahlil Okafor
Gerald Henderson (salary)
Lakers first round pick (2017 top 3 protected, 2018 unprotected).

Would any of these be enough to get you to trade Jimmy?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Honestly, at this point nothing interests me until the front office has been shaken up, the coaching staff is fixed(whether than be replace Fred, or even just add legit assistants and a dedicated SHOOTING COACH), and then we have a better assessment of the product on the floor.

Until you fix such foundations, it's all just making hype to sell tickets based on *grass is greener* hope without actually getting results.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I'm sure the lakers would also want him not sure what assets they have though

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
The Bulls, not surprisingly, are not in a position of power for any trade this season.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
TBH, all those deals are underwhelming. It would be hilarious if the Bulls did end up trading Jimmy to Minny for LaVine et al....considering the Bulls could have drafted LaVine but instead took Doug McDermott. It would really highlight their stupidity and I'm sure the media would slam the organization as much as possible, reminding everyone of that fact.

Also, Boston's package of zero established players or high level starters and only 1 Brooklyn pick? Extremely underwhelming. We don't know where Brooklyn will be picking and even if this is a good class this year, all draft picks are crap shoots. They would need to include both Nets picks.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
The Bulls, not surprisingly, are not in a position of power for any trade this season.

Disagree. Not like the Hawks where the entire league is well-aware of our needs to shed salary.

The NBA GMs know that our FO is indeed dumb enough to NOT trade Jimmy, same as Gasol (ugh). Consequently, they won't low-ball us for Jimmy because the morons in charge seemingly don't feel the need to hit the reset button.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
I'd trade Jimmy just for about anything at this point. He is turning into a cancer. The objective is not really to get a good return for Jimmy but to get young players/picks. The real rebuild happens by sucking for the next 3 seasons or so to get consistent lottery picks in the top 5.

Wade could be traded but it would just be for expiring contracts that make salaries match up.

Jerry's goal is to get the 8th seed to lose in the 1st round. That's all that matters to him.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
There is also no better time to start a full blown rebuild right now. Lebron's reign in the East will be over in about 3 years when he is 35. If the rebuild is successful, the Bulls would be in a great position to be a contender in the East when it will be wide open.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Honestly, at this point nothing interests me until the front office has been shaken up

agreed no more passes for GarPax. if they signal a rebuild that just buys them another 4 years at a minimum. revamp the FO (like, now) and let them decide what to do.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yet again, this year draft is going to be one of the best ever. If you are going to rebuild, it should be this year. Top 20 picks are going to be littered with stars. College basketball is just stacked this year.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Honestly, at this point nothing interests me until the front office has been shaken up, the coaching staff is fixed(whether than be replace Fred, or even just add legit assistants and a dedicated SHOOTING COACH), and then we have a better assessment of the product on the floor.

Until you fix such foundations, it's all just making hype to sell tickets based on *grass is greener* hope without actually getting results.

Why trade a top 12 player on a longterm friendly contract when you still have a chance Wade and him could recruit a third max?

I mean why now? We can get 90% of his now value 3 years from now if it doesn't work out.

Why would we do this now? So much needs to play out first, beginning with new coach, and new GarPax if they won't hire one.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Yet again, this year draft is going to be one of the best ever. If you are going to rebuild, it should be this year. Top 20 picks are going to be littered with stars. College basketball is just stacked this year.

I wouldn't mind tanking and stealing someone like Giles. Still would prefer the shakeup in the FO and an actual coach.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't mind tanking and stealing someone like Giles. Still would prefer the shakeup in the FO and an actual coach.

I dont watch them like you, so you would know more about Hoiberg. I do think they dont really run his system though. Read Jimmy changes the plays all the time. So, maybe, no one respects him and thats never a good thing.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I dont watch them like you, so you would know more about Hoiberg. I do think they dont really run his system though. Read Jimmy changes the plays all the time. So, maybe, no one respects him and thats never a good thing.

I'm not sure any spectator knows who is calling the plays and if they are being executed as drawn and practiced. But I would say if anyone is changing plays, Jimmy is the least concern. We have Rondo, Mirotic, and McDermott who do things that are against the grain of any playbook that I have ever seen for YUUGE chunks of their floor time. Robin Lopez refuses to switch man late in games, then any team with athletic bigs turn into playmakers.

Let's say this is all true, how Jimmy doesn't listen to his coach and does whatever.... So if Lopez is using Freds call and it fails, but Jimmy ditches Fred and it works, it's hard to fault Jimmy for making adjustments. It's Jimmy's team, so he gets that liberty. I don't see the problem and if anything, he's covering his coaches ass.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Why trade a top 12 player on a longterm friendly contract when you still have a chance Wade and him could recruit a third max?

I mean why now? We can get 90% of his now value 3 years from now if it doesn't work out.

Why would we do this now? So much needs to play out first, beginning with new coach, and new GarPax if they won't hire one.

Lol no we can't. He can opt out in 2 more seasons. His deal was essentially a 4 year deal as it's a certainty that he's going to opt out. No, we don't have to trade him right this second, but if the plan is too trade him (I know, Garpax have no plan), the Bulls would be fools to postpone it too long. If they wait until the off-season and they can't recruit anyone significant (which they wont), then Butler needs to be traded by next trade deadline. His value from now, until next season, is the highest it's going to get. If a team doesn't get desperate and offer up a huge package in order to make a late Finals push, then I would hold off and trade him in the off-season/draft night.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We could draft the steal of the draft this year and it wouldn't matter because the FO would still find a way to make this team suck.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

He is a terrible coach. Who are you blaming that they don't run his system? Its the coaches job to have leadership, respect, and communication so that HIS TEAM RUNS HIS FUCKING SYSTEM!! If you can't lead men...then what the fuck good is your "system." ?

Get a new coach.

Let Hoiberg get back to leading boys as soon as possible, it would be best for him, not just the Bulls.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lol no we can't. He can opt out in 2 more seasons. His deal was essentially a 4 year deal as it's a certainty that he's going to opt out. No, we don't have to trade him right this second, but if the plan is too trade him (I know, Garpax have no plan), the Bulls would be fools to postpone it too long. If they wait until the off-season and they can't recruit anyone significant (which they wont), then Butler needs to be traded by next trade deadline. His value from now, until next season, is the highest it's going to get. If a team doesn't get desperate and offer up a huge package in order to make a late Finals push, then I would hold off and trade him in the off-season/draft night.

That isn't really true in the NBA, a player retains there max value all the way until they have the final year remaining. So...given the opt out...the time to pull the plug is next years trade deadline to maximize the deal, with 1.5 years left to a team in need of a boost who is close to championship level.

I'll concede the window isn't as long as I thought, but maintain given your information that his value right now is similar to his trade deadline value next year. (but actually greater because every time the cap goes up and we see these other deals Jimmy's contract is going to gain value)

Given that we have a top recruiter veteran in Wade as an assett until he might opt out this year, I say we let that drama play out. Lets see if we can snatch Cousins or talk a free agent into coming before we pull the plug on Butler/Wade. They need help...maybe they can talk it here. Jimmy ain't going anywhere...maybe Wade stays and helps him find the player they need.

You want to just throw away that opportunity and move on to 19 and 20 year olds, suck for 5 years and hope some of them develop into the top 12 player Jimmy is so they have a chance to recruit a top free agent here....you see that plan is circular. Stay in the moment, don't panic, don't press the red nuke button just yet. Shake up the team, get a new coach, get new management, change the culture, give them a chance to recruit...wait as long as you can and then go nuclear by trading Jimmy next year.

You want draft picks in an epic top 20 class. Ok...well...we already have one pick in top 20 as we are looking like the 8th seed. Probably going to be picking 16-20.

The Kings pick is going to be close. They are on the cusp of forking over an 11th pick...Cousins has a chance to carry them into that. Its unfortunate Gay went down because it was looking probable.

So you are bitching about something when we already have 2 picks in top 20 potentially.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
What am I bitching about, Rask?

As far as the picks....we don't have the 11th yet...and we probably won't get it. We've been talking potential with that pick for the past couple of seasons already. Chances are, it's not happening. And Garpax making the selection in the late first round, isn't a lot to get excited about. They'll most likely join the likes of Doug McDermott, Niko Mirotic, Marquis Teague, Tony Snell as disappointing players that don't help the team win. Like I already said, we don't have to trade Jimmy now, but the time to trade him is sooner than later. If they strike out in free agency (which they will), they better see the writing on the wall and move him pronto.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Crys was right in the first reply, there really is no reason to think about trades or the draft until you know what is your FO situation. I'd like to think that Gar is gone, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see him again.