Cards have been disciplined!

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
A $2 million payment to the Astros, which must be paid within 30 days.
The Cardinals' two highest picks in the 2017 draft are being awarded to the Astros.
Correa has been placed on the permanently ineligible list. He's banned from baseball.

The Cardinals surrendered their first-round pick to sign qualified free agent Dexter Fowler earlier this offseason, which means their second- and third-round picks will go to Houston. Those are the 56th and 75th overall selections.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/w...ack-and-the-unprecedented-penalties-from-mlb/

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
Serves them right. Cheaters!

Sent from my Samsung S6 Edge

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Two draft picks, the higher of which is #56?

Way too light.

When every team around MLB feels it was too light, and Cards fans are responding that "it's about right", you know it was too light.

They were not afraid to give up a pick to sign Fowler because they knew it would be gone anyway, so they actually had less incentive to avoid a FA signing than opponents. Fowler essentially cost pick #75.

If the penalty was going to be only two picks, they should have lost this year's 2nd rounder, and next year's 1st.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The thing is there is no proof that the Cards management knew of Correa's espionage.

If there was proof that they were in on it and supporting his hacking then this would have gone much further.

So in light of that they got hit by the fact he was an employee and used his input unknowningly.

We can say they knew but I feel it was just a scumbag trying to get ahead.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

If he had any impact at all in choices they made then any decision they made by proxy is still tainted. It doesn't matter if they personally directed him to do it or not although that would obviously make matters worse. The fact of the matter is he accessed info on a player the cardinals drafted in the first round that year. Maybe they draft that guy anyways but that really doesn't matter. More info only enhances their ability.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Quote Originally Posted by CSF77 View Post

You mean, kind of like the Nixon Abministration!!!

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Quote Originally Posted by CSF77 View Post

You mean, kind of like the Nixon Abministration!!!

Watergate was known I believe and yes impeachment was just due.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If he had any impact at all in choices they made then any decision they made by proxy is still tainted. It doesn't matter if they personally directed him to do it or not although that would obviously make matters worse. The fact of the matter is he accessed info on a player the cardinals drafted in the first round that year. Maybe they draft that guy anyways but that really doesn't matter. More info only enhances their ability.

I agree with h the penalty. Just to send a message to teams that these actions are not tolerated and your employed actions are your actions.

But going overboard? IDK. If another team gets caught doing this after the message has been sent then it should scale up.

We have to take away our distaste of STL here.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I find it strange that with this situation hanging over their heads that St. Louis was able to do "business as usual" and sign Fowler knowing their top pick would be lost in the process. Seems like the Cardinals always find a way to slide. Given that the signing was allowed....the money(chump change) and the picks are certainly not enough. More picks or an extra zero added to the cash....maybe both.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Why? Did you have to set the precedent of "this is wrong" for other teams to understand "this is wrong"? Even in a sport that is a cesspool like Major League Baseball, that's setting the bar incredibly low. The punishment sounds tough, but its really a slap on the wrist when you replace "top two picks" with "picks #56 & #75".

How would you feel if it was one of the teams you liked? Would you want more of a punishment?

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Wow MLB is a bunch of pussies! Cards getting a slap on the wrist. Should have lost 1st and 2nd next year, 2nd and 3rd this year, $5M fine and have a No Jorts policy instituted at Busch Stadium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
...and have a No Jorts policy instituted at Busch Stadium.

haha. Awesome. Must also apply to those bushwhacking STL commentators. Always hated their overly one-sided calls and backwards tone.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Two draft picks, the higher of which is #56?

Way too light.

When every team around MLB feels it was too light, and Cards fans are responding that "it's about right", you know it was too light.

They were not afraid to give up a pick to sign Fowler because they knew it would be gone anyway, so they actually had less incentive to avoid a FA signing than opponents. Fowler essentially cost pick #75.

If the penalty was going to be only two picks, they should have lost this year's 2nd rounder, and next year's 1st.

If I'm reading this right, the Cubs are going to be punished for the Cardinals mistake. What the fuck is that? That can't be part of the plan. If 56 and 75 go to Houston, what goes to the Cubs? And they should have gotton a first? Thats some complete fucking bullshit and should be abolished from the rules. You can't make him cheaper to some teams and less to others based on them not having a pick...it should roll over to the next year.

How can you punish their rival when they signed Fowler away from them already...as a White Sox fan unbiased in this, or biased against you, thats some horseshit.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
If I'm reading this right, the Cubs are going to be punished for the Cardinals mistake. What the fuck is that? That can't be part of the plan. If 56 and 75 go to Houston, what goes to the Cubs? And they should have gotton a first? Thats some complete fucking bullshit and should be abolished from the rules. You can't make him cheaper to some teams and less to others based on them not having a pick...it should roll over to the next year.

How can you punish their rival when they signed Fowler away from them already...as a White Sox fan unbiased in this, or biased against you, thats some horseshit.

No, the Cubs dont get punished. We still get the same pick we were getting the whole time.