Chicago Cubs Trade James Farris and IFA Money to Rockies for Righty Eddie Butler

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Mentioned in the offseason thread I really liked the idea of the cubs getting him when he was on waivers. Farris is a decent get for a team pulling an eject handle on Butler but not really that big of a loss for the cubs.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
They needed more people with options so this makes sense for the Cubs. Not sure if they plan on using him in relief or keeping him as a starter.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
They needed more people with options so this makes sense for the Cubs. Not sure if they plan on using him in relief or keeping him as a starter.

Best guess is that they use him as a starter at AAA while they work with him. He fits the Cubs reclamation profile, good ground ball rate, blue chip pedigree, but shaky command. Like you pointed out just one of these guys pans out and it's a win.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

I'd imagine they use him as a starter at least at first. Between him and the recently added Casey Kelly they finally have some upside arms who haven't shown well in the majors. As of now, they have Zastryzny, Brooks, Jen-ho Tseng Jordan Pries, and Ryan Williams as additional options in AAA to those 2. Pierce Johnson could also be a starter but I think they are moving him to the bullpen because of his command issues. Underwood should probably start in AA and see if he can rebound from a clearly disappointing 2016. But as for the guys in AAA, none of them outside the two recent adds is all that exciting. Tseng and Williams are really back of the rotation arms. Williams might have more upside like Hendricks did because his command is so good though but he doesn't have great tools as a pitcher. Pries looks like a 4A arm. Brooks looks like one also. And Zastryzny looked decent last year but doesn't really have huge tools either.

What I like about this is Kelly and Butler give the guys some players with upside to hopefully fix. None of the guys previously listed were likely to ever be above a #4 pitcher. However, when Butler was right many considered him a future #2. Like wise, Kelly had TOR potential. So adding those two gives their upper minors some decent quality. Obviously they are far from guarantees but if they fix the issues the cost to acquire both was very marginal.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Not a bad add at all. I never even heard of the guy they lost. Add to it they are in the penality anyways so they are doing something useful with the IFA.

I tend to agree with you on this Beck. There is little downside adding both Kelly and Butler.

I see them keeping both in Azl extended and ease them into starter roles over the cold months of the season. Then bring them into AA or AAA depending in the current situations of the teams.

I wouldn't expect much this year though. This is mostly additional options looking ahead. This could turn out to be another Arreta or nothing. Or anything in between. So it is a solid gamble

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I never even heard of the guy they lost.

Farris was I believe a 9th round pick as a college senior who signed for $3,000. Basically he was originally just a guy the cubs largely drafted to save slot money. That being said he was a good find given that. He had a 10.80 k/9 and a 2.10 bb/9 in A+ over 30.0 IP and 9.50 k/9 and a 2.50 bb/9 over 36 IP at AA to go with 10.80 k/9 and a 1.80 bb/9 over 10 IP in the AFL. He posted 2.40/1.85, 2.75/2.76 and 0.00/1.97 ERA/FIP's in those respective location. Pretty decent reliever prospect but there in lies the rub. He's a reliever.

I don't think he's really got that closer mold. He maxes out at low 90's/high 80's and his secondaries aren't that amazing. He's probably more of a middle relief guy. The problem with relievers in the minors is unless they have ridiculous stuff they often get over shadowed by starters who can't make it as starters and turn into relievers. With that being said, he's actually got a shot at making the majors.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He is pretty much dime a dozen.

The guy I'm following this year will be Cory Black. I believe he will push the door open this year.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The Cubs announced that they’ve acquired right-hander Eddie Butler from the Rockies in exchange for minor league righty James Farris. Butler had been designated for assignment over the weekend.

The trade also includes the Cubs sending their top international bonus slot, No. 28 overall, to the Rockies in exchange for a lower slot — No. 74 overall. The swap of international slots adds an additional $255K to the Rockies’ international signing pool. To make room on the roster for Butler, the Cubs designated right-hander Dylan Floro for assignment.

Butler, who’ll turn 26 in March, once rated among the game’s top 50 prospects in the eyes of Baseball America, MLB.com and Baseball Prospectus, but the right-hander’s stock has tumbled substantially since that time. Butler has logged consistently impressive ground-ball rates as a professional but has never missed bats or been able to demonstrate exemplary command at any level. In parts of three big league seasons with the Rox, he’s struggled to a 6.50 ERA with 5.3 K/9, 4.0 BB/9 and a 48.6 percent ground-ball rate. His work in Triple-A (5.01 ERA, 4.3 BB/9, 3.1 BB/9 in 159 innings) doesn’t look much better on paper.

As recently as the 2014-15 offseason, though, Butler ranked as Baseball America’s No. 77 overall prospect, and prior to that he rated 24th overall. Butler’s career has been slowed by some shoulder troubles to date, but when his prospect status was at its best, BA’s scouting reports (subscription required/recommended) lauded his power sinker and “extraordinary” changeup while giving him credit for three plus pitches and a solid-average slider. His velocity has taken a step back since that time (perhaps due to the shoulder woes), but Butler does have a minor league option remaining. As such, he’s likely to open the season at Triple-A Iowa and look to get his career back on track, potentially serving as a depth piece for a Cubs team that will look to deploy a six-man rotation in the latter stages of the season. Chicago also lacks a defined fifth starter at this time, with lefties Mike Montgomery and Brett Anderson set to vie for that job in Spring Training.

This marks the second DFA of the winter for the 26-year-old Floro, who made his Major League debut with the Rays last season. In 15 innings with Tampa Bay, Floro posted a 4.20 ERA with 14 strikeouts and four unintentional walks to complement a strong 54.7 percent ground-ball rate. Floro also averaged a respectable 92.5 mph on his fastball and enjoyed a successful season at the Triple-A level, logging 50 innings with a 2.88 ERA, 7.2 K/9, 1.6 BB/9 and a 56.5 percent ground-ball rate. He’s walked just 1.3 hitters per nine innings in his minor league career, so there’s definitely some appeal in his blend of strong control and ground-ball tendencies. Floro, though, fell all the way to Chicago on waivers just two weeks ago, so there’s a chance that the Cubs will be able to pass him through unclaimed this time around and retain him without dedicating a 40-man spot.

The 24-year-old Farris split the 2016 season between Chicago’s Class-A Advanced and Double-A affiliates, working to a combined 2.59 ERA with 10.1 K/9, 2.3 BB/9 and a 47.1 percent ground-ball rate in 66 innings of relief. Farris also fired nine scoreless innings with an 11-to-2 K/BB ratio in the 2016 Arizona Fall League. Farris has never rated among the Cubs’ top prospects in recent years and didn’t make the cut on yesterday’s Cubs rankings from ESPN’s Keith Law, either. The former ninth-round pick averaged 91.7 mph on his fastball this season and 83 mph on his changeup, per PITCHf/x data at MLBfarm.com.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
a guy I did not know we had for a guy I did not know. It actually cost 2 players though, since Dylan Floro needed to be DFA's for the roster spot, but I guess its not much of a loss there either?

Iceman2385

Liked Posts:
Why aren't people more excited about this trade? I know he's been a bust so far, but I remember reading about Butler a couple of years ago, he's still young enough to reach his potential. No risk, very hig reward. I really like the offseason the Cubs have had. Can't wait for spring training!

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
a guy I did not know we had for a guy I did not know. It actually cost 2 players though, since Dylan Floro needed to be DFA's for the roster spot, but I guess its not much of a loss there either?

If he passes through unclaimed Floro will stay with the cubs. Most teams already have their 40 man set and Floro isn't really that high profile of a name. The fact he made it to the cubs who have the last waiver claim to begin with means there wasn't that much interest in him.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The thing with Butler is his mid+ fastball went down to the low 90's post shoulder injury. Add to it he generates hard contact.

For him to have success he would have to goto a cutter/sinker combo with his plus change and shelf his fastball as it is very hittable.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
The thing with Butler is his mid+ fastball went down to the low 90's post shoulder injury.

He averaged 93.1 MPH on his 4 seam last year topping out at 97.1. That was 92.8/96.7 in 2014. Don't think he really lost anything.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cubs now had him at 96-97 avg with a top of 98 a while back.

But like I said it is his hard contact rate that is killing him and he most and from what I'm reading is is a lack of movement on his fastball.

There were park factors involved as in a 20% HR rate on flyballs and a .354 BABIP. In that park it means death.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
sounds like a guy that needs control to walk the hendricks maddux line after surgery. Thats what has to change with his mentality, not trying to throw 98 again.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
sounds like a guy that needs control to walk the hendricks maddux line after surgery. Thats what has to change with his mentality, not trying to throw 98 again.

Control is a part of it. There has to be a evaluation process involved then tinkering. Some pitchers just need to move to one side of the rubber as their pitches were more effective from that angle. Other times it could be a tipping off. Or it can be pitch sequencing.

Location has more to do with fastball location. If a pitcher starts to use his secondary's pitches more then his fastball apprears faster just because the hitter is slowed down by his offspeed selection.

He has a plus change and a good quality slider and a quality power sinker. Curve is trash. He is a strong ground ball pitcher but gets in trouble with hard contact.

So in view of this a guy like him should focus on his sinker and his change as his primary pitches. Secondary should be his hard slider and mix in a cutter to give 2 types of breaking pitches. At that point his 4 seem fastball becomes a surprise pitch.