Bulls interested in acquiring hometown talent Jahlil Okafor from 76ers

Ron Burgundy

013017_sixers-kings_1200.jpg

Could the Chicago Bulls be hoping to strike gold again with another kid from Chicago?Reports are circulating that the Bulls are interested in acquiring Philadelphia 76ers forward/center Jahlil Okafor, as reported by Bulls insider Vincent Goodwill. https://twitter.com/CSNChicago/status/827386250478837763Talks remain tepid for now, with the Bulls showing more interest in getting Okafor than the 76ers are in giving him up, but there's still plenty of time between now and the trade deadline (February 23).

Okafor, the 76ers’ 3rd overall pick in the 2015 NBA Draft, was originally a product of Whitney M. Young Magnet School in Chicago before entering the NBA after one year at Duke, where was ACC Player of the Year, a unanimous first-team All-American, and a 2015 National Champion.For his career (87 games), Okafor is averaging 27.3 minutes a game, with 15.1 points per game on 51% from the field, 6.2 rebounds a game, and 1.1 blocks per contest. So far this season, his numbers have been trending downward (23.1 mpg, 11.4 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.0 blkpg) due to the emergence, and relative health, of 2014 3rd overall pick Joel Embiid.

While this is all just talk at this point, such a move would be an interesting route for the Bulls in the midst of a disappointing season, though it could still be classified as a bit of a reach. For one, it would show real commitment to a process of getting “younger and more athletic,” which the Bulls desperately need to do.

Also, though Okafor is still a young, relatively unproven player, his potential as an offensive player in the frontcourt is enticing for a team that could badly use some consistent offense from people not named Jimmy Butler and Dwyane Wade. Okafor is playing nearly 5 mpg less than Robin Lopez right now and still scoring almost two points more per game, for perspective.

All this being said, Bulls fans shouldn’t expect the second-coming of Derrick Rose if this trade does get pulled off. While Okafor did finish 5th in Rookie of the Year voting and was named to the All-Rookie first team last year, he won’t be a superstar of a prime Rose’s caliber.

It is also worth noting that Okafor has a history of off-court problems—he was suspended by Philadelphia for two games last season following multiple reports of fights with hecklers—which the Bulls should take into account given the current climate of their locker room, but perhaps the expectation is that being at home would be a welcome change for the youngster. And, while Okafor is a talented post scorer, he's not exactly a dominant rebounder or defender. He also doesn't stretch the floor or run the break the way a Fred Hoiberg-led offense hopes for (though let's be real, Hoiberg's probably not going to be here next year. Besides, the front office hasn't cared about what kinds of players he likes at any point. Why start now?)

I wouldn't exactly bet my hopes and dreams on Okafor, nor would I go crazy and trade away, say, Cristiano Felicio for him (don't even mention Butler in this deal). But if the price isn't too steep, who knows? Maybe some more young, homegrown talent is a step in the right direction for the Bulls.

More...

Last edited by a moderator:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
if we could trade away some peripheral pieces I think its a great move with huge upside

danchi23

Liked Posts:
Solid piece "if" we want to build a solid team to compete in a few years.

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
He comes much cheaper than I thought so that's not an issue.You can't give up any value for a guy sitting on the bench and the 76ers have to understand that it's just both of you trading spare parts to change the scenery and wht do the Bulls have to interest them. Then you have to find out from Okafor if he's figured out he is going to be a role player, probably not start and might have to discover rebounding and apply himself on defense. He doesn't have to become a defensive master but if he expects to continue to have an NBA career he's got to adjust his attitude. Maybe sitting on the bench in Philly got that message across.

cjswan232482

Liked Posts:
He comes much cheaper than I thought so that's not an issue.You can't give up any value for a guy sitting on the bench and the 76ers have to understand that it's just both of you trading spare parts to change the scenery and wht do the Bulls have to interest them. Then you have to find out from Okafor if he's figured out he is going to be a role player, probably not start and might have to discover rebounding and apply himself on defense. He doesn't have to become a defensive master but if he expects to continue to have an NBA career he's got to adjust his attitude. Maybe sitting on the bench in Philly got that message across.

You are tripping. Okafor is definitely a starting caliber center. Too many stiffs starting not to. 15 ppg in 27 minutes does not scream backup. He sounds like Eddy Curry 2.0.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Depending on what it costs I would do it.

Okafor does have some upside to his game still. He is already a polished low post scorer. If he can develop a mid range game, he could develop into one of the better offensive centers in the game and be a 17-20 point guy.

What he des lack though, and I don't see it improving, is his ability to protect the rim. He reminds of a guy like Al Jefferson.

Its not a game changer at all but at an appropriate cost, could be a good move.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I like Okafor and his toughness. But first, fire the staff and bring someone in who can build and coach a team. The three stooges that they have can't do any of it.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Talks heating up according to rumorville.

Just watch and see which Bulls players sit the Bulls T'Wolves game. Otherwise I doubt the Bulls succeeded.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Okafor was sat for the game tonight due to trade rumours.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
I don't want Okafor so that means hes as good as ours

maybe i should start saying i don't want good players

Naptastic

Liked Posts:
No minutes for Niko or Zipser so far. If they get traded, I wont really miss them.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Niko for Okafor would be hilarious.

You might have to step back from the position that they are tanking and just realize they don't have a fucking clue what they are doing. They already have 2 starting centers and 3 starting PF's, they are a fucking mess. What do they want with Niko? They indeed have Stauskus...which would be a hilarious throw in since Pax has always had his eye there.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I don't want Okafor so that means hes as good as ours

maybe i should start saying i don't want good players

The last people I want are: Lebron, Wall, Beal, Towns, and Draymond.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The last people I want are: Lebron, Wall, Beal, Towns, and Draymond.

Draymond is my favorite player and the most important Warrior. Towns is a stand up guy and worth a max contract for sure. Lebron you just have to put up with if he chooses you. Its that way.

Wall and Beal I completely agree. I probably agree on Lebron I just don't have a choice. I can't stand him though. Did Towns piss in your Wheaties or something yesterday?

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
According to a Chicago insider, it's done. Okafor to the Bulls for Cannan, MCW and 2nd round pick

He looks reputable but I'm not sure. No other news outlet has it reported yet. Jahlil did change his twitter location from Philly to Chicago as well. Not that that means anything

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
According to a Chicago insider, it's done. Okafor to the Bulls for Cannan, MCW and 2nd round pick

He looks reputable but I'm not sure. No other news outlet has it reported yet. Jahlil did change his twitter location from Philly to Chicago as well. Not that that means anything

Twitter is reporting that he didn't travel with the team to Charlotte.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hope its true. The Pels was trying to trade for him and they wanted a first rounder. I like Okafor, but he is a plotter. He is the anti-Alvin Gentry player.

Also- his D hasnt taken any steps forward. Nice post up game. Right coaching could get him somewhere but a lot of work for an all around game.