Cubs Spring training thread

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/leede02.shtml

Derek Lee's career looks exactly as it should for a non-juicer.

Top prospect. Takes a season or two to acclimate to the bigs. Seven of his next nine seasons he OPS+'s over 110. Including six seasons of 124 or better. One injury season in there in 2006. Starts to break down around 33 or 34. Out of baseball a few years later. Pretty damn standard career arc for a player of Lee's caliber.

Please point to the "up and down production" that was a juicer.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/leede02.shtml

Derek Lee's career looks exactly as it should for a non-juicer.

Top prospect. Takes a season or two to acclimate to the bigs. Seven of his next nine seasons he OPS+'s over 110. Including six seasons of 124 or better. One injury season in there in 2006. Starts to break down around 33 or 34. Out of baseball a few years later. Pretty damn standard career arc for a player of Lee's caliber.

Please point to the "up and down production" that was a juicer.

Look at the HR's. Never above 32 then 2005 hammered 46. 2006 was the congressional hearings. He went on the DL that year with his wrist injury.

After returning he never broke 23 until he went down for a month with a bulging disc in his neck. When he got off the DL he went on a torrent pace to nab 35. Never broke 20 the rest of his career.

So looking at his power yep.

Now he was always a strong OBA type that had gap power. Looking at that part it was consistent. Looking at the HR's not so much. Add to it both conensided with either pre roids or post major injury. (Which many player admired to doing)

So if you want to put him another category that is fine. I don't.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Look at the HR's Never above 32 then 2005 hammered 46.
So every player that had a career year was on roids? Lee had showed the propensity for power before. Power hitter has big year then returns to career norms...not really surprising his 46 HR season came in a typical age season for "prime production."

2006 was the congressional hearings. He went on the DL that year with his wrist injury.
Relevance?

After returning he never broke 23
Except when he did.

So looking at his power yep.
Actually no.

So if you want to put him another category that is fine. I don't.
You're an idiot. Lee OPS+ and SLG'd better post 2005 than he did in the four seasons prior to 2005. He just had more balls leave the ball park for ONE season. You're essentially arguing he juiced for one year then stopped? Why wouldn't he have been doing it prior to 2005?

Your entire theory is without statistical merit.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Add to it my belief was he was pressured into doing them. Most of his early career he was looked as this huge RH bat that should be hammering 40 per. He really never was that guy early on. He started in SD and I watched a few of his games as a rookie and he was a doubles hitter for the most part with a strong strike zone discipline. In today's game he would have been appreciated more but back then 1B was prime power in a roid's adjusted era.

So ya I believe he was one of the 80% that did. In today's game with his gap power plus D and strong OBA skills he would have not had that pressure to hit HR's.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So every player that had a career year was on roids? Lee had showed the propensity for power before. Power hitter has big year then returns to career norms...not really surprising his 46 HR season came in a typical age season for "prime production."

Relevance?

Except when he did.

Actually no.

You're an idiot. Lee OPS+ and SLG'd better post 2005 than he did in the four seasons prior to 2005. He just had more balls leave the ball park for ONE season. You're essentially arguing he juiced for one year then stopped? Why wouldn't he have been doing it prior to 2005?

Your entire theory is without statistical merit.

Not at all. I believe he was doing it up until 2006 when the shit hit the fan. As I said he most likely quit at that point when players were getting popped. I also believe he went back on and risked it post injury.

Dude I watched him over his whole career. From here in SD until the end. I saw how he evolved as a player and his power did spike 2 years. And dropped off right after. But as I said he was a exclent player regardless.

So you can step back happy.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Add to it my belief was he was pressured into doing them. Most of his early career he was looked as this huge RH bat that should be hammering 40 per. He really never was that guy early on. He started in SD and I watched a few of his games as a rookie and he was a doubles hitter for the most part with a strong strike zone discipline. In today's game he would have been appreciated more but back then 1B was prime power in a roid's adjusted era.

So ya I believe he was one of the 80% that did. In today's game with his gap power plus D and strong OBA skills he would have not had that pressure to hit HR's.

With zero to back it up outside of "OMG, he had a big year in 2005!"

Like that never happened in the history of baseball prior to roids or since the testing came in..........

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not at all. I believe he was doing it up until 2006 when the shit hit the fan. .

So it took half a decade for the steroids to take effect? Got it. :aj:

I've seen some hilarious steroid allegations before but this is pretty amazing.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So it took half a decade for the steroids to take effect? Got it. :aj:

I've seen some hilarious steroid allegations before but this is pretty amazing.

Takes about a year. We saw that with Byrd. Popped also but it took about a year for the results.

Lee was avg 30 per for a few years before 2005. Not every player becomes Bonds

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Swear feels like a KB argument

chibears55

Liked Posts:
What does D.Lee and steroids have to do with the 2017Cubs in ST?
Absolutely nothing

First televised game is Saturday 2 00 against As

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Tell you what, in re: PEDs: they are awesome, have any of you tried any (Rask)?

I did not, fuck no, until last year when i got my first cortisone injection, which is technically a steroid.

That shit was magical, voodoo-mutherfucker, fucking religious experience. If the legal cortisone injection is that amazing, I can hardly imagine how savage the juicers really were, I mean that shit nearly turned them into werewolves.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
What does D.Lee and steroids have to do with the 2017Cubs in ST?
Absolutely nothing

First televised game is Saturday 2 00 against As

Ty.

Noticed a article on Arrieta. Ricketts pretty much passed the buck to Jed and Theo on resigning him.

Idk to be honest. It really feels like he doesn't want to be the bad guy if he moves on.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Ty.

Noticed a article on Arrieta. Ricketts pretty much passed the buck to Jed and Theo on resigning him.

Idk to be honest. It really feels like he doesn't want to be the bad guy if he moves on.

Rickett still has to agree to amount..no?

I'm wondering if Arrieta might finally be open to take a fair offer from Cubs because he coming to terms that at 32 he just might not get that 6-7 yr deal at 25-30 per he wants elsewhere...

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Rickett still has to agree to amount..no?

I'm wondering if Arrieta might finally be open to take a fair offer from Cubs because he coming to terms that at 32 he just might not get that 6-7 yr deal at 25-30 per he wants elsewhere...

I don't know. Ifhe has a very good year someone's going to pay him that $25 mil to $30 mil AAV, possibly more. The only issue is years of the deal. I could see offers like 5/$160 mil but he's looking for more like 6/$170. If I'm the Cubs I don't even consider getting in that neighborhood but there will be teams that will.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Did anyone see the latest Heyward swings from ST?

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Did anyone see the latest Heyward swings from ST?

[video]http://wgnradio.com/2017/02/17/video-kris-bryant-and-jason-heyward-batting-practice/[/video]

Its very short at the tail end of the clip. Only noticeable thing is that his hands are down to about stomach high...looks to be quicker into his swing.