Cubs Spring training thread

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Butler has outpitched them both but that would present a real roster challenge if he won the job so I'd still think it's probably Anderson and see if Butler keeps it up in AAA.
Guess depending on how it goes , Cubs may also try to pursue Alex Cobb sooner rather then later.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Guess depending on how it goes , Cubs may also try to pursue Alex Cobb sooner rather then later.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

There won't be any pitchers available until the market sets itself up in July. If Tampa Bay is in it in July, which they might be, they might not even sell. Butler was a blue chip prospect as recently as two years ago so if Anderson and/or Montgomery can't get the job done he will almost certainly get a chance.

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Where is the best parking for the game? My son and I are running up there tomorrow.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Boy, it sure looks like Ian Happ is going to force the issue of Ben Zobrist's playing time sooner than the Cubs had planned.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Guess who starting season on DL
Our old pal Jorge Soler strained oblique

I really thought this guy was going to be an All-star caliber player... Injuries hurting his career so far

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
In fact, according to Madison, Albertos has three Major League quality pitches already, one of which (his fastball) is considered plus-plus. That is downright silly at 18. The Cubs fully intend to bring him along as a starter, whether that takes a long time (it’s not like he doesn’t have it) or not.

Me gusta. MLB.com suggest some scouts think this change up is a plus-plus pitch(70+ grade) so if some are also considering his fastball plus-plus he's super interesting. That's basically top 10 prospect type tools even if they only end up being 60-65 grades.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Russell to start season on DL, eligable to return Apr 9

My guess is young stays up til Russell returns

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The Cubs are returning left-hander Caleb Smith to the Yankees, reports Patrick Mooney of CSN Chicago (Twitter link). Chicago selected Smith in the Rule 5 draft in December.

The 25-year-old Smith potentially could have made the Cubs’ bullpen as a southpaw swingman, but they’ll instead go with Mike Montgomery and Brian Duensing as their lefty relievers. Smith didn’t see much spring action with the Cubs, having tossed 6 1/3 innings and and given up three earned runs on eight hits. Impressively, he struck out seven batters and only issued two walks.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Russell to start season on DL, eligable to return Apr 9

My guess is young stays up til Russell returns

I don't think he's on the 40 man.... in which case they'd have to cut someone else.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Szczur

They were already going to have to cut one of him, La Stella and Dunesing. If you also keep Young then they have to cut another. Don't really see them keeping young.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
After game today on post game

Said Russell to DL sore back eligible to return April 9th

Just found this, now its a possibility if it don't improve..
Maybe they jumped the gun..

MESA, Ariz. — Shortstop*Addison Russell*said his sore back feels ‘‘95 percent better,’’ and he hopes to return to the lineup Wednesday for the first time since last week.

But Russell acknowledged he might open the season on the disabled list if the soreness lingers, with the Cubs taking advantage of the new 10-day DL. Teams will be allowed to backdate such a move to March 30, which means Russell would be eligible to return the day before the home opener April 10.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
They were already going to have to cut one of him, La Stella and Dunesing. If you also keep Young then they have to cut another. Don't really see them keeping young.
They sent Caleb Smith back to the Yankees and if they trade or release Szczur , they will be at 38..

So, they have room to add young to 40 man if they need to put Russell on DL to start season...

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Maddon doesn't want to DL Russell. Russell feels he is 95%. But there is the new 10 day DL rule where they could open a roster spot.

I would start Baez at SS myself and ease Russell into playing every day vs weakening the MI.

This should have little bearing on Szczur. LaStella already said he would be fine in AAA to start the season. WS champ status tends to make players happy.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Maddon doesn't want to DL Russell. Russell feels he is 95%. But there is the new 10 day DL rule where they could open a roster spot.

I would start Baez at SS myself and ease Russell into playing every day vs weakening the MI.

This should have little bearing on Szczur. LaStella already said he would be fine in AAA to start the season. WS champ status tends to make players happy.

Starting LaStella in AAA doesn't solve the Szczur problem at all, it only delays it.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So once Duensing returns, who is the next pitcher to go on the DL so Szczur stays with the Club? :D

I'm thinking they will try to trade Szczur and this delay gives them more time