Travis Wood

Washington

Liked Posts:
You guys are more experts with the new fangled stats that did not exist when I was young. Why do you suppose the Cubs did not resign Wood? He seemed to have a good year statistically and was not over priced. He could start if needed in a pinch. And, he could have served as a good mentor to Schwarber in the OF given his great catch in LF last year :lol: I don't get why the team would not want him back. The Royals now have 3 of our guys from last year while we have 1 of theirs.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
His FIP was 4.54 and his BABIP was .215. Both point towards extremely lucky and he greatly benifited from the best D in the majors behind him.

In a starters role his odds worsen with the extra innings.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
The cubs have no confidence in Woods chances of getting right handed hitters out. On top of this, he was paid pretty well over the years, Last three deals were 3.9, 5.685 and then 6.17 million for last year. Royals guaranteed him 12 million over 2 years. Great guy, great clubhouse guy, shirtless at the parade, and these are the little guys that get left out and then remembered when a team does not repeat.

Considering Hammels comments about his head butting with Joe, you are either his guy or you are not his guy. Dont forget the Royals have Soler too.

Washington

Liked Posts:
That's what I mean about looking at stats/categories that did not exist years ago that I am still not in tune with.

I look at his 2.95 ERA in 77 appearances and the fact lefties only hit .128 against him and think that's an asset besides being lefty.

I suppose this was more about the cost of a reliever than anything else as they needed to cut some costs because lots of guys will be coming due on some huge deals.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
RH hitters hit .263/.344/.521 vs Wood last year. LH hitters hit .128/.208/.239. I'm not even sure Duensing makes the team but he was at .290/.353/.419 and .191/.190/.429 and got $2 mil. Wood got $12 mil over 2 years. Woods not really a starter. He's more a LOOGY.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Caleb Smith Is a rule V so they have to keep him on the roster this year. He has pretty solid strike out and walk ratios over his minor league record so he is not a guy that you want to return.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would assume the Royals told Wood he had a good chance to start.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I would assume the Royals told Wood he had a good chance to start.

Cubs probably made a one year offer again, Royals guaranteed 2. I highly doubt Travis needed any more promises.

Odds are he is moved at this or next deadline.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cubs probably made a one year offer again, Royals guaranteed 2. I highly doubt Travis needed any more promises.

Odds are he is moved at this or next deadline.

He depends on his cutter too much to start. If he had a solid 12-6 breaking slow curve then I would think differently.

Cutter is not a bad pitch but it is a complementary pitch that plays off of a fastball. Ideally you would want a 2 seen/4 seem with a cut fastball/slider combo to be a effective starter with his arsenal. He lacks a hard slider to play off his cutter.

That is why he is a LOOGY right now and not a starter anymore. His best season he had pin point control that year. Even then he was MOR.

He would have to come up with a plus breaking pitch right now to force himself into a rotation.