Hate to write off players when I know the coaching is subpar!

cjswan232482

Liked Posts:
It would not surprise me at all if players like McDermott and Portis have better success elsewhere. I can't think of one player who has developed under Hoiberg. I wish I had more confidence in Hoiberg before rendering a verdict on our young players.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree with you 100%. There has been no reason for confidence in Hoiberg. The players seem unsattisfied with it, have done everything but say he can't coach. He has been one of the weakest coaches I have ever seen from an authority stand point.

I don't think the players respect him too much. Its bad. I have seen nothing technically, defensively, offensively, or innovative to continue the experiment a moment longer.

I actually think out of the three.... Paxon, Forman, Hoiberg.... I would keep Pax only. Gar should not be in any organization working with other humans. Hoiberg should go back to college. Paxon has made some solid picks.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
I would get rid of the following:

1) Paxson. The NBA passed him by a few years back.
2) Forman. His ability to evaluate talent sucks. Five crappy picks in a row.
3) Hoiberg. Not an NBA caliber coach, period.
4) Mirotic, Portis, Rondo, McDermott, etc should all be traded or cut.

So basically I would get rid of every body other than Jimmy.

cjswan232482

Liked Posts:

Like I said, how can you tell who can play when the coaching and leadership is almost nonexistent?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Portis and McDermott should be retained and developed.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
When is Portis given a chance? That's what confuses me. When he is given a chance, he does a lot for the amount of game experience he has. His per-36 is on par with Taj(who is the best on our frontcourt), and Bobby has a 3pt shot. Portis is a cheap replacement for Taj, and has a higher ceiling. He is not the problem here.

Portis is far from sucking balls. He is a spot-starter in this league and is someone the Bulls need to further develop and keep as a backup PF.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I agree with you 100%. There has been no reason for confidence in Hoiberg. The players seem unsattisfied with it, have done everything but say he can't coach. He has been one of the weakest coaches I have ever seen from an authority stand point.

I don't think the players respect him too much. Its bad. I have seen nothing technically, defensively, offensively, or innovative to continue the experiment a moment longer.

I actually think out of the three.... Paxon, Forman, Hoiberg.... I would keep Pax only. Gar should not be in any organization working with other humans. Hoiberg should go back to college. Paxon has made some solid picks.

They all need to go.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Portis and McDermott are not the problem or solution. I am not sure why Portis doesn't get more run lately. He is a bit erratic shooting the ball though. McDermott just needs a particular type of offense to do well. Something like Atlanta that can take advantage of his off the ball skills and get him open for spot up 3s. Defensively, they're not great but they put in effort which is more than some players on this team.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Portis and McDermott are not the problem or solution. I am not sure why Portis doesn't get more run lately. He is a bit erratic shooting the ball though. McDermott just needs a particular type of offense to do well. Something like Atlanta that can take advantage of his off the ball skills and get him open for spot up 3s. Defensively, they're not great but they put in effort which is more than some players on this team.

Zipser was getting minutes over McD for awhile because Zipser would actually stay in front of an offensive player. I think they really thought McD's offense didn't outweigh the liability he was defensively.

I'm sorry but I see no reason why anyone thinks Portis is worth a damn. He simply looks lost out there on both ends of the floor.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Zipser was getting minutes over McD for awhile because Zipser would actually stay in front of an offensive player. I think they really thought McD's offense didn't outweigh the liability he was defensively.

I'm sorry but I see no reason why anyone thinks Portis is worth a damn. He simply looks lost out there on both ends of the floor.
Perhaps my assessment is flawed because I've viewed considerably less games this year than in years past. You're probably right about Zipser, he's looked decent. McDermott's defense is and likely always will be garbage, and looking at the stats, you're probably right on the lack of offense. Judging on the game last night, I'm not surprised McDermott struggles offensively. There was no ball movement in the 2nd half and a player like Doug needs that ball movement to succeed.

I have only seen Portis a few times this year. Early in the year he was garbage. More recently he's looked ok to me. I don't really know with any certainty if he's trash or not.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I watched maybe the first quarter, into the second a bit of last night's game so I won't really speak to it, but I think you're right about Doug: constant movement, coming off screens, weak side sets for him, and slice cuts to the basket are great for his game.

Portis just looks like he's regressed from whatever it was he was last year. Just absolutely lost out there on both ends. Erratic is the best word for him.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I watched maybe the first quarter, into the second a bit of last night's game so I won't really speak to it, but I think you're right about Doug: constant movement, coming off screens, weak side sets for him, and slice cuts to the basket are great for his game.

Portis just looks like he's regressed from whatever it was he was last year. Just absolutely lost out there on both ends. Erratic is the best word for him.
I think if you threw Doug on a team like Atlanta or even the Lakers he could do pretty well. He's a lot like Korver in that sense, but as we know his game is a bit more than just spot up shooting. You could run similar action to what Ronnie Brewer did for us back 6 years ago with his baseline play.

Portis...I guess I just haven't seen enough to know. Erratic is likely the most accurate call there.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Yes, Portis makes mistakes. Because he is young and underplayed. It's a chicken egg problem. If he doesn't get developed, he rots away. That holds true for all players. I wouldn't worry about the guy making $1m that has the production of a $7m player. That is just bad math and planning. You worry about the $23m player that has $15m in production.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
there is a trend of players regressing here lately on both ends. For the previous 5 years a few players were just regressing on defense.

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
To me McDermott doesn't realize he needs to be shooting more. It's as though he wants to be a team player in the flow of the offense and pass the ball but he's the shooter who is supposed to be spacing the floor and drawing the defense out. He's out there with Felicio, Rondo. MCW and whoever and they're the role players, he's the scorer of the group. Get in a good spot and fire, then keep firing.

With Portis it's the opposite. he seems to think he's out there as one of the scorers when he should be emulating Taj and be the role player and do the dirty work. When they run a play for him he doesn't read the defense and if his shot isn't there just pass it and wait until next time. He seems to think it's his play and that trip down the floor he tries to force a shot up. Patience would serve him well and not looking at the stat sheet to see progress.