Free Agency Rumors and Signings [Entire NFL]

Huxster

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also does Jimmy G have leverage??, any trade would likely involve an extension and he could refuse to sign the extension thus negating the trade, or an I barking up the wrong tree??

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
We are finally in a position, contract wise, to move on from Cutler, but is there a team out there desperate enough to give us a pic, any pick for his services?

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jerry will release Romo. Technically he can't prevent Romo from signing with Houston but maybe they make a gentleman's agreement that Romo abides by. Denver would also be a great fit for his services.

I guess maybe Denver if Elway has no confidence in Simien and Lynch. But I don't think Simien was the problem for them this season. His offensive line just couldn't protect him AT ALL.

laputan

Liked Posts:
No Cowboys fan is going to cheer for Houston.

You underestimate casual fans. And perhaps casual racist fans. And Romo charm.

Even the Cowboys owner may find himself cheering for Houston.

ob1force

Liked Posts:
I think people are reading too much into the Jimmy G trade possibilities. Edelman going on NFL Network to drive his price up? C'mon now.

It's not out of the question for the Pats to hold onto him for another year, especially if they believe he's a franchise caliber QB. Idc about all the talk that Brady is playing 'til he's 45 or 50, the dude is going to fall off sooner rather than later. He'll be 40 next season, it could very well happen then.

Brady was looking like a former shell of himself in the first half of the SB, he was missing wide open throws left and right. Then had that pick 6 that felt like the final nail in the coffin. Of course, everyone forgets that because of their miraculous comeback. But can Brady go for another 16 game season? Plus playoffs? I wouldn't bet against him but it has to be on Belichick's mind.

laputan

Liked Posts:
I disagree, Denver is a tremendous fit. Lynch could use another year and they aren't going anywhere with Siemian. They are built to win today.

The whole Romo is so injury-prone narrative is what's gonna keep Denver's interest and financial offer low enough for Pace to swoop in and grab a top 5 QB for a few years. Lucky us.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I cannot see Jimmy G going for a top 15 pick. The jury is still out and he has a big contract coming due.

The market is probably an early 2nd and probably a mid rounder as well.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
It makes no sense. Are they cutting Brady in 2018? Are they tagging Jimmy for 22 million?

He will walk in 2018.

Belichek does not lose assets for nothing, see Jones and Collins.

Here is another thing to think about. Why would the Pats, if they really think JG is the next guy, not work an extension with him coinciding with Brady's contract expiration? Windy suggested a 2yr/$20M deal. Why would NE not just give him a 4yr/ $60 M extension with say $20M SB and salaries of $2M, $2M, $18M, $18M. That would control him for $5M, $6M, and$6M cap hits until Brady is 43 years old, then JG takes over in 2020/21 season paid as a starter.

$24M to get Brady's coffee for 3 more years and then take the wheel of a Ferrari vs a 1985 geo metro.
That is a very realistic deal for JG and protects both him and NWE.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's not out of the question for the Pats to hold onto him for another year, especially if they believe he's a franchise caliber QB. Idc about all the talk that Brady is playing 'til he's 45 or 50, the dude is going to fall off sooner rather than later. He'll be 40 next season, it could very well happen then.

Brady was looking like a former shell of himself in the first half of the SB, he was missing wide open throws left and right. Then had that pick 6 that felt like the final nail in the coffin. Of course, everyone forgets that because of their miraculous comeback. But can Brady go for another 16 game season? Plus playoffs? I wouldn't bet against him but it has to be on Belichick's mind.

What sort of scares me is that if Bellicheck lets JG go he either is confident that Brady will play another 2-3 years or knows that he can fleece someone. Bellicheck doesn't make many moves that don't help his team.

But as far as Brady being 39: I heard an interview that quoted both Jim Kelly and Troy Aikman. They both said that once the legs & core go (ability to get your legs/body into the throw) your career is over. And they both said it doesn't happen over night but it can happen over the course of a season. So, if JG is traded is Bellicheck that confident in Brady or is he confident he's trading a mid-level talent for a 1st round+ pick?

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
While they money is nice anywhere, I'm sure Jimmy would like to get his career going before his 6th/7th year in the league. I'm guessing he wants to play in 2017.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Do the 2 franchises hate each other?

Nah, I don't see any hate. I mean what would there be for Cowboys fans to hate? They've got one of the most storied teams in all of sports.... and then you have the Texans who haven't done shit.

More than that though, I couldn't imagine any real Cowboys fan liking Romo more than the actual team. (at least I've never met that fan) Romo would be the Bears best QB ever with his stats. To Cowboys fans he's behind guys like Aikman and Staubach. And now they have Dak. Cowboys fans like Romo.... but there's a lot of frustration there with some of his bone head plays. I think they've already moved on an will wish Romo well. But no one will actually change sides over this.

mcbear34

Here for the Wins
Liked Posts:
Do the 2 franchises hate each other?

I live in Houston, yes there is hate for each other. Not a lot of hate, but it's mainly the 2 cities, no one in Houston likes Dallas, no one in Dallas like Houston. Texans fans would love to have Romo

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I live in Houston, yes there is hate for each other. Not a lot of hate, but it's mainly the 2 cities, no one in Houston likes Dallas, no one in Dallas like Houston. Texans fans would love to have Romo

Hmm.... maybe it's different in Houston. Most Cowboys fans I know could give two shits about the Texans. Now Philly.... that's another story.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Lived in Austin for years, just moved back to Texas (Dallas) this past year. I never thought there was much animosity between Cowboys and Texans fan in Austin. I don't get the vibe that anyone in Dallas would really care much about Romo going to Houston.

They seem to hate the NFC East a great deal, but don't care much about Houston. And in terms of NFL history and prestige, Houston is not even a little threatening to Dallas.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Patriots could sign Jimmy G to a contract.

-But no player is taking a backloaded deal. It puts all the financial risk on them and the years that matter in a contract are the first 2.

-Jimmy could sign and sit for 2 years, but that again pushes back his starting time and his maximum earning potential and then what happens if Brady doesn't retire in 2019?

Jimmy wants to leave he is going to make close to 40 million in 2017-18 if he leaves and he is going to start in 2017, which allows him to cash back in potentially in 2-3 years. I get the Patriots are an ideal situation for a QB, but I am sure he is more concerned with the next 4 years than the 4 years after that.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
The Patriots could sign Jimmy G to a contract.

-But no player is taking a backloaded deal. It puts all the financial risk on them and the years that matter in a contract are the first 2.

-Jimmy could sign and sit for 2 years, but that again pushes back his starting time and his maximum earning potential and then what happens if Brady doesn't retire in 2019?

Jimmy wants to leave he is going to make close to 40 million in 2017-18 if he leaves and he is going to start in 2017, which allows him to cash back in potentially in 2-3 years. I get the Patriots are an ideal situation for a QB, but I am sure he is more concerned with the next 4 years than the 4 years after that.
But it doesn't put him at risk. If he signs elsewhere to an Osweiler type deal he would get $30 -40M guaranteed, but he could be cut if he sucks or injured after 2 years, the contract I proposed earlier gives him $24 M in the first 2 years and then a big kick in pay in years 3-4.

NWE could guarantee year 3 by games started if Brady got injured or even guarantee his 3rd year at the start of the 2nd year, ala Cutler. That way he would be guaranteed to pocket $42 M before even having played other than mop up duty and if Brady is still around in 2020, he would be trade-able with an already established contract. Just look at Osweiler, going to a shittier team for a little more $$, which where JG is and would go is a much larger gap than Brock's move, is not always the best plan.

Now I agree he likely isn't staying, but to anyone saying it is an impossibility is not correct.

Last edited: