Say Goodbye To Alshon Jeffery

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Seems like a fair offer to me. Jeffery will likely see big money from a team that Pace won't be willing to match.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I am kind of leaving towards overpaying him a little.

Get it done at 14/year. Puts him in the top 5 in the league getting paid.

Bears have the money and no need to create another hole in their roster.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the Bears let him walk for the difference of 1 Mil per year they are stupid.. You have to pay what the market is.. last year the top FA WR all got 14 per so this year the top FA should be a little north of that... sorry but business is business..

Exactly....its why this franchise is going nowhere....they think they can do it with average receivers....yet fail to look at guys like Rodgers, Brady and Brees, who make these guys better. You don't let Alshon walk, when White and Cam are the next in-line guys.

Liked Posts:
I am kind of leaving towards overpaying him a little.

Get it done at 14/year. Puts him in the top 5 in the league getting paid.

Bears have the money and no need to create another hole in their roster.

Are you coming or going? Do you even know at this point?

billwade

Liked Posts:
If they cant work that difference out, then they arent even trying anymore.

And that's really the point. It's Pace's job to sell players on the Bears. Granted, it's a tough sell, but that's his job. If you remember, Jeffery was a Brandon Marshall disciple. Ever since Marshall was traded, Jeffery has shown no interest in staying in Chicago, so it isn't like this is new news. Pace knew what he was dealing with for a long time.

If Pace can't get Jeffery to sign with the Bears and isn't (wasn't) able to work a trade, it's another negative mark on his record.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
If he doesn't accept that deal then franchise his ass and leave that offer on the table for him cause he might end up taking it at a later time instead of taking his chance on another 1 year deal (franchise tag). I know we have a certain amount of time to still talk contract with a guy that's on the franchise tag but not sure just how long that is.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
And that's really the point. It's Pace's job to sell players on the Bears. Granted, it's a tough sell, but that's his job. If you remember, Jeffery was a Brandon Marshall disciple. Ever since Marshall was traded, Jeffery has shown no interest in staying in Chicago, so it isn't like this is new news. Pace knew what he was dealing with for a long time.

If Pace can't get Jeffery to sign with the Bears and isn't (wasn't) able to work a trade, it's another negative mark on his record.

If Pace doesn't want to get in a bidding war and overpay a guy who hasn't even reached 900 yards the last two seasons, has soft tissue injuries, and got suspended for PEDs, then I would say that's a positive mark on his record. It's a tough decision for sure....but Alshon is going to get paid on the open market. Leming's numbers are speculation....but it sounds like Pace made a fair offer and Alshon wants to be the highest paid WR in the league. If someone wants to pay him that, then adios. People here thinking Pace is going to let him walk for the difference in 1 million dollars are off their rockers. The main difference will be the GTD money and it will most likely be closer to a 10+ million dollar difference. As mentioned before, I'm not even sure Alshon wants to be here.

Reactions: 1ke

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Said it at the time. Should have transitioned him last year and matched or passed. May have been the only way too long term him here. If it would have been too much, writing was on the wall anyway.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm not seeing the problem here. If the Bears are willing to do 13 and 30 and it's really 14 and 35 that Jeffery wants, they would be stupid not to be able to bridge that gap and get a deal done. Just franchise him and work it out.

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:
He gets the tag...for 17.4 mil. We have a ton of cap space. Either that or Pace gives Alshon what his price tag is. I don't see Pace letting him walk. Year 3 for Pace, he needs to produce wins. Losing Alshon with no other serious #1 threat would be a major blow.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
We need him. Pace knows this. I don't blame the player for getting everything he can in his short time as a player. We need him and a good TE or the new QB will be in a shit situation.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Bears cannot afford to create another hole. I say they are going to sign him, makes no sense to bring in a new QB with no weapons. With Jefferey, Meredith, White, etc, and any new recievers we add, this has a potential to be a good group. It is also important to have depth in case of an injury. Jeffery goes down next year and we still have Meredith and White. Meredith goes down next year with no Jeffery and we only have White and whatever depth we bring in (that would be bad, bad, bad). Bears sign him or place the franchise tag once again.

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think 18.

It just feels like the writing has been on the wall with this one for awhile. A guy who's been rumored to not like Chicago, doesn't seem to have a great relationship with the team, and knows he will get higher value than his play has warranted on the open market. I'd love to keep him, obviously, but it just doesn't seem like it's in the cards.

Although, what the fuck do I know.

I agree...just hasn't been a lot of love really between the org and him.....just kinda meh.... they seem ok with letting walk. Be interesting to see how they address the giant playmaker void that will be there without a healthy Alshon. I would imagine one or two FA receivers and a rook taken in the top 3 rounds if he's gone.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
Sign him to the franchise tag for 3.5 mil more than you want to pay him. See if he works out and likes our new qb. If it does pay him.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Yep. Tag him. We probably can't find a way to spend our open cap anyway. Buys us another year to see what, if anything, White can become, let's a mid to low round draft pick develop for a year, allows us to relook at hopefully a better WR FA class next year, and minimizes the guaranteed $ risk that his body may not be able to keep him on the field. Or maybe another year helps to find a way for a happy marriage here.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nothing says "I am a complete, incompetent moron" more than a GM franchise tagging a WR two years in a row.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Aaron Leming‏ @AaronLemingNFL
FWIW, have been told the #Bears bottom line for Jeffery is likely somewhere around $13M AAV & less than $30M guaranteed.

Just a Lemming tweet