Polian on the cost of JG today

bufordht

Liked Posts:
Instead of "panicking" in your scenario, why wouldn't the Browns just trade #12 for Garoppolo and still draft Garrett at #1???

Maybe they like Watson better.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
BB wanted a 1st or 2nd for Mallett back a few years, we see how that worked out for him.
If he can squeeze the 12 out of Cle I think that would be the miracle he is really hoping for, even 2 2nds would be a win for BB. JG may end up just getting him his 2 back but much earlier in the round.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Many believe, including myself that BB is the greatest coach of all time. He might be one of the best GM's of all time as well.

BB thought Jimmy was good enough to be a 2nd round pick despite the fact he had Tom still playing and likely knew Tom was going to continue playing for a number of years.

BB has held onto him for as long as he can and now he fears he will lose him without getting anything in return but he respects the guy so much that he wants top dollar for him.

Maybe instead of looking at this from a standpoint of BB is trying to swindle some team to maybe BB has been backed into a corner with this one and needs to unload a talented QB to get some value for him.

We just don't know. BB can also want whatever he wants. I'd bet he more likely gets the Browns 12 or at best, a 1st round swap with an earlier pick. I actually think JG is likely a capable starter. My issues with him are the same as they were coming out. Small hands for cold wet winters along with a lean body and he doesn't really drive longer throws which again isn't what you want playoff time up here in heavy air and wind. None of these are killers but makes him less desirable for us. He may be a stronger thrower now but we really haven't seen it. On the other hand, accuracy and smarts are big pluses with him and are also top attributes for the NFL. I think many here looking at college QBs discount how influential accuracy is to scout evaluations. It often cannot be corrected.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
People on here with infinitely less credentials spew even more QB hot takes than Polian.

But he gets paid for it.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
How does he have a "say"? Is it in his contract?

Without JG agreeing to a long term deal with his new team, the trade value will be much lower. The trade partner would only have him for 1 year plus maybe a tag year. Of course, they could always tag and trade the following year if he plays well but that possibility doesn't increase his value right now. It would work like this. Prospective trade partners get permission to talk to JG about a contract and the Pats talk compensation. If JG doesn't want an extension with a given team, a trade becomes very remote. BB can want what he wants but JG has a say and could simply wait one year for a home of his choosing.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm still saying Jimmy will only get BB a 3rd rounder. Nobody is giving up a first round pick, that is just stupid talk. I could maybe see Denver or Houston giving their late 2nd round pick if they don't sign a FA.

A 3rd round LB or DB in the 2017 draft would help the PATS way more then carrying a 3rd QB on their roster.

Luke

Liked Posts:
Polian is all over the map right now on the QBs.

I didn't know drafting Peyton Manning wrote you a blank check to spew QB hot takes.

He knows how trade negotiation work in the NFL, why wouldn't BB ask for the moon to begin with doesn't mean he will get it. Where is Polian all over the map coming from the king of all over the map?

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Instead of "panicking" in your scenario, why wouldn't the Browns just trade #12 for Garoppolo and still draft Garrett at #1???

There is always the possibility that JG wont want to play for the Browns (why would he?) and he can refuse to sign a long term deal. So killing any deal with the Browns.

If I was JG I would want to play for the pats next year and hope that TB retires then being able to take over the best team.. If TB doesn’t retire then I will have my choice of more teams.

BUT I could see him wanting to sign with the Bears this year because he is a Bears fan, his family is here etc..

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There is always the possibility that JG wont want to play for the Browns (why would he?) and he can refuse to sign a long term deal. So killing any deal with the Browns.
BUT I could see him wanting to sign with the Bears this year because he is a Bears fan, his family is here etc..

This is another reason why he is not going to get a 1st or high 2nd round pick .. You are only trading for 16 games of his services. At what time do you even offer him a contract? Before Training camp? Before Preseason? Before week 4?

I would hope you don't lock him up to a long term deal before TC, right? I would think you would want to see him in preseason running your system before making a long term offer.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
This is another reason why he is not going to get a 1st or high 2nd round pick .. You are only trading for 16 games of his services. At what time do you even offer him a contract? Before Training camp? Before Preseason? Before week 4?

I would hope you don't lock him up to a long term deal before TC, right? I would think you would want to see him in preseason running your system before making a long term offer.
No. You don't trade draft picks before a contract is signed. He will get a big contract before a single pass gets thrown.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
As much as a Trubisky doubter as I am I would feel much better about Pace drafting him at #3 then falling for the Jimmy hysteria. Trubisky, Kizer, and Watson are all better prospects coming out of college. 3 years at Belicheck University will not translate to the Chicago flipping Bears, let's not be naive.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
On Insiders, said BB will be looking for the 1st or 3rd pick in the draft so he can get an elite defensive player. I cant imagine the Browns giving up Garrett so if Pace is desperate enough #3 should get it.

Fuck that noise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk