A very simple question for all of you

Can this Blackhawks team, as presently constructed, win the Cup?

• Total voters

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
My first thought is No.

First off, I don't think the forward depth is there right now. Clearly the SuperPAK line is one of the best in the game when it's clicking, but outside of that, I don't think there's enough there. Right now the best combos I'd see would put Toews with Schmaltz and Panik and Hartman-Hino-Hossa. Then Kruger's checking line. That just doesn't seem good enough to me when you look at the east and Pittsburgh has Phil Kessel waiting on its third line.

As for the defense, the issue is largely the same. Hjammer is still one of the game's most underrated and his pairing with Keith is usually reliable, although Keith is showing a bit of his age this season. Seabrook is up-and-down and Campbell has been worth more than his $1 million but that's not saying too much. None of TVR/Kempny/Forsling have really done enough to grab a permanent role on the blue line, although I do think Forsling and Kempny might have decent NHL futures.

The most encouraging thing is in net. Crawford's play has regressed slightly of late but in the first half of the season he was a goddam monster and there may not have been a better goalie performance in the league (considering Carey Price isn't himself this year). At a minimum, he was the best goalie in the West. But when was the last time a goalie just about single-handedly backstopped his team to the Cup? Cam Ward in '06? Doesn't seem like a winning formula anymore, and that seems like the Hawks' best shot.

As I've said before in this here forum, no team in the West scares me that much, including the Wild (go look at Dubnyk's postseason numbers and tell me who's going to score for that team in the postseason. And their coach sucks). So I wouldn't be surprised to see the Hawks to survive the West. But unless the Hawks can add depth at forward and probably on D, too, I don't see how they're going to beat a team like Pittsburgh or Washington. Maybe the hope is that the East beats the shit out of itself so much that the Hawks are able to walk all over the carcass that survives the playoff grinder from that half of the league.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I feel they can, I think they're getting hot at the right time.

I can't put my finger on it, but I think there are some line combos that will work in the playoffs that Q is keeping in reserve.

I also think Crow will step up in the postseason like he has many times before.

Last, I think Toews might finally be getting hot after honestly almost 2 years of being cold or lukewarm at best offensively.

If Toews gets hot and our 1st line becomes dangerous, we will be hard to beat.

darkvirage

Liked Posts:
They can, sure. I think they're a legit threat every year. Forward depth/blue line play is an issue, but I'd rather them stand pat this year at the deadline and coach the young guys up, rather than get a rental. If that means they don't win it this year, but are in better position next year, I'm all for it.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is the question "should the Hawks make a move"?

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
If the real question is, should they make a move, then yes. The answer to that question is always yes. You should always be looking to make a move if it makes the team better. Period. ABC. However, if you can't make a move happen to allow this team to get better, then I have to say yes, this team can win the cup. The key word here is CAN. Will they, no idea. Can they, yes, of course they can. They have loads and loads of talent and stranger things have happened. At any time someone can click and this team can real off 10 in a row. They have been managed well enough of that last few years and however many cup wins that they haven't had to deplete the team to a lower enough talent level that they can't compete for a Cup every year no matter what. Will they be the favorites, probably not but can they win the cup... no doubt, they have players that have done it and know how to get it done.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Seasoned contenders think they can flip a switch and be back in pursuit mode. For that reason I think the Hawks have a better chance than we might think. Whether it is enough or not, that's why the playoffs exist. They're the 3rd to win the Cup in odds favorability everywhere. That's pretty damn good with the present construction.

I've been saying it for years, the Hawks would benefit from another defenseman. Forsling is good, but good only for what he is, a guy in the system that might pay off in a couple of years. But sooner than later they need to target someone who can jump in as a Norris contender to salvage the build. If that doesn't happen, then you get to the point that any lingering blueline injury leads to a lost season.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Seasoned contenders think they can flip a switch and be back in pursuit mode. For that reason I think the Hawks have a better chance than we might think. Whether it is enough or not, that's why the playoffs exist. They're the 3rd to win the Cup in odds favorability everywhere. That's pretty damn good with the present construction.

I've been saying it for years, the Hawks would benefit from another defenseman. Forsling is good, but good only for what he is, a guy in the system that might pay off in a couple of years. But sooner than later they need to target someone who can jump in as a Norris contender to salvage the build. If that doesn't happen, then you get to the point that any lingering blueline injury leads to a lost season.

I'm not gonna lie, I had no clue you watched/enjoyed hockey...

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Anything can happen in the playoffs....so, yes they can. But is that likely to take place...probably not.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I'm not gonna lie, I had no clue you watched/enjoyed hockey...

I'm not an every game spectator like I am with the Bulls/Bears, but I've managed to watch/listen(thanks TV contract limbo) to 40+ games since the Savard/Larmer era(with a 5 year exception, army). ;)

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I would think a small move might happen. I would like to see us make a move or 2 for blue line help and depth at forward. However i dont want us to make a move for the sake of making a move. We have some decent prospects in the pipeline. I wouldnt want us to move Schmaltz, Hartman, DeBrincat, Fortin, or Forsling for a rental. The only way i would move one of those kids is for a legit top4 or top6 player with years left on the contract. Hartman is looking the part of a middle 6 player, and Schmaltz has been playing well with Tazer. Book is still out on Forsling, but he looks to have a high ceiling.

It will be interesting if Hayden or Shalnouv sign in time to be elgible for the playoff roster.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I wouldnt mind seeing McNeil and a low pick moved to Detroit for Jurco. Think both players need a change of scenery, and I could see Jurco having success like Panik has.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I'm not an every game spectator like I am with the Bulls/Bears, but I've managed to watch/listen(thanks TV contract limbo) to 40+ games since the Savard/Larmer era(with a 5 year exception, army). ;)

Well where the fuck ya been Crys? :smug:

I don't think the Hawks have ever replaced Johnny Oduya. I have some hope that Kempny might become that No. 4 d-man they've been searching for, but he hasn't convinced me yet.

What move would put us over the top to be more competitive with Pitt and wash? I don't think there is that one move that will make us that much better.

They might. If the Hawks can land a top-6 quality forward, that'd be huge. Whether he plays in the Top 6 or bumps someone else from the Top 6 down, that would do wonders for the Hawks forward depth. While it may not put them on a level with Pittsburgh or Washington, it'd close the gap. And I think the Hawks have an advantage over just about everyone in net. Crawford has been that good this season, his recent (and likely temporary) slump notwithstanding.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good to see some optimism about the Wild...because I'm not as much. I think Dubunyk has been on an upward curve and is capapble of getting hot in a playfoffs and that would be scary to face.

Other than that, the Sharks would be a fun but difficult series, and Anaheim just annyoying. I like our chances ok...I'm not sure a move will make all the difference, and really its up to the Smaltz-Toews-Panik line to prove we have enough with what we have. I think we are underestimating what a luxury it is to have a Hossa on the third line, and a shut down line built around Kruger.

Many Hawks players have ablility to elevate play at will, and in playoffs, and will. So...the ability to cruise to second to 4th in the west is pretty damn impressive.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Are they eliminated from the playoffs?

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They certainly have as good a shot as any other team in hockey. I certainly think that they have both the defense and goaltending to win it all. YOu creatinly never have enough goal scorers so an addition would improve their chances. BUt enough? Certainly:)

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Depends on which core shows up--if it's the one from 2016 that flipped the switch and promptly blew the lights of anyone not named Hossa, then probably not.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not an every game spectator like I am with the Bulls/Bears, but I've managed to watch/listen(thanks TV contract limbo) to 40+ games since the Savard/Larmer, Secord, Wilson, Murray era(with a 5 year exception, army). ;)

Fify :hawkbang: