AMD Ryzen price/spec leaks

AussieBear

I agree, there is a lot of hype. If I were in your situation, I would be perfectly happy with the system you bought and built. Odds are, you're not going to notice even if you get another machine. Money best spent in the future, not now.
Like I said, the main reason I'm excited, well, #1, I preordered so at some extent I'm going to defend my purchase(assuming all things at least function as they aught to), but #2, ECC CPU/Boards are stupid expensive when you want to go the Intel route, something I would say 49/50 of the builders don't concern themselves with. In my opinion, ECC should be the only kind of memory and all CPUs and controllers should just support it from now on out. Especially with the amount of encryption that is being used and hardware errata that is just swept under the rug.

what cpu/mobo did you preorder??

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
1700 65w
MSI B350 Tomahawk
Kingston VR 2400 4x 16GB

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
cool.. i looked at some of the new mobos.. that msi b350 has that nice stealth black look..

why the lower wattage/clock option??

Because 1) I pay my own power bills. and 2) it's my office machine. My main rig draws 400-1300~ watts at the mains. With my power utility prices and config, that's something like $1400 a year on electric MORE for my main system, than in theory this new system(and I have literally computers EVERYWHERE in my home). Seems reasonable to me, to be power conscious for a number of reasons, and no, not this fake-environmentalist line of suggesting switching everything to solar and ignoring consumption, I already have solar panels.

I don't care how a motherboard looks. If it were plain PCB brown or green, that would be fine with me. Heck, I'd prefer it to save $.50. I don't do this christmas tree approach to building. Yes, I might have when I was a teenager, but that shit just gets annoying after a thousand builds or so. And don't get me started on how stupid it is to have 100 LEDs on a 24/7 system in a bedroom. That adds up to insomnia issues as much as other things(google LEDs and sleep apnea, and a big FU to TV set makers who use LEDs to indicate the TV is powered OFF!).

Last edited:

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Because 1) I pay my own power bills. and 2) it's my office machine. My main rig draws 400-1300~ watts at the mains. With my power utility prices and config, that's something like $1400 a year on electric MORE for my main system, than in theory this new system(and I have literally computers EVERYWHERE in my home). Seems reasonable to me, to be power conscious for a number of reasons, and no, not this fake-environmentalist line of suggesting switching everything to solar and ignoring consumption, I already have solar panels.

I don't care how a motherboard looks. If it were plain PCB brown or green, that would be fine with me. Heck, I'd prefer it to save $.50. I don't do this christmas tree approach to building. Yes, I might have when I was a teenager, but that shit just gets annoying after a thousand builds or so. And don't get me started on how stupid it is to have 100 LEDs on a 24/7 system in a bedroom. That adds up to insomnia issues as much as other things(google LEDs and sleep apnea, and a big FU to TV set makers who use LEDs to indicate the TV is powered OFF!).

Crys mad! :hitler:

I think we all built a "pretty" rig at one time or another

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Yep, I'm peeved at the lack of options from major board makers. Yes, you have an overwhelming variety of colors and configs, but not much real world variety.

Let me ask this. Which is more desirable?

Same primary chipset

Onboard RGB LED status, serigraphy pattern, colored PCB, UV dyed expansion slots, designer milling on the heatsink. So a Pretty board.
ALC88x codec audio chip
8111 GLAN controller
5~% tolerance ICs
Comes with okay SATA cables, standard I/O shield
$110

or

Plain PCB, beige ABS slots, generic heatsinks
ALC11xx codec audio chip
8119 GLAN controller
1-2% tolerance ICs (lower is better, and believe me, it adds up)
Dual BIOS
Comes with higher rated SATA cables, standard I/O shield
$95

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yep, I'm peeved at the lack of options from major board makers. Yes, you have an overwhelming variety of colors and configs, but not much real world variety.

Let me ask this. Which is more desirable?

Same primary chipset

Onboard RGB LED status, serigraphy pattern, colored PCB, UV dyed expansion slots, designer milling on the heatsink. So a Pretty board.
ALC88x codec audio chip
8111 GLAN controller
5~% tolerance ICs
Comes with okay SATA cables, standard I/O shield
$110

or

Plain PCB, beige ABS slots, generic heatsinks
ALC11xx codec audio chip
8119 GLAN controller
1-2% tolerance ICs (lower is better, and believe me, it adds up)
Dual BIOS
Comes with higher rated SATA cables, standard I/O shield
$95

I prefer the pretty lights so I feel like im housing a Starship computer in my office...

But fear not, I am with you at this point in my building career.... I want function and for shit to not overheat....

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I often wonder how much more money Noctua would make if their fans only came in a color other than baby-poo brown.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Vantec used to make only transparent blue fans. Thermaltake used to only be orange. Arctic cooling was always black and white, Zalman for nearly a decade was exclusively clear, etc etc. So when Noctua had less to choose from in order to stand out. Because yes, for whatever reason, people care about the color of their case fans :shrug:

That's okay. SD + controller >>>> :D

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I often wonder how much more money Noctua would make if their fans only came in a color other than baby-poo brown.

Fucking love my noctua fans. I'm sure there is just as good from other companies at this point, but I don't even give a fuck. Love those fans so much and the fucking weird colors can be recognized anywhere and always make me feel good when I see them in my PC. So, I think that basically means I have been branded. *shrug

AussieBear

I prefer the pretty lights so I feel like im housing a Starship computer in my office...

But fear not, I am with you at this point in my building career.... I want function and for shit to not overheat....

nuffin wrong with a night light.. no matter what they tell ya.. i prefer the glowing desk pc - will build one .. one day

,C-H-332225-22.png

AussieBear

didnt realize you had a defibrillator hooked up to your pc.. thats a lot of powerdraw all day.. saving 1400 a year is a good chunk

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Fucking love my noctua fans. I'm sure there is just as good from other companies at this point, but I don't even give a fuck. Love those fans so much and the fucking weird colors can be recognized anywhere and always make me feel good when I see them in my PC. So, I think that basically means I have been branded. *shrug

Their stuff is top-notch and their customer service is amazing.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
noctua does offer black fans but theres a premium on them over the already rather expensive base fans. like 26 bucks for 120mm, and they still have a shit brown frame.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The whole Ryzen lineup is very exciting. Its batshit crazy how hard they are undercutting Intel. The shit is gon be good for everyone.

I am concerned though that it looks like their entire lineup is leaning toward productivity. Doesn't look like theres any sku tailored for gaming. The single thread performance looks like it could be a little bit disappointing, but we will see.

As an aside, holy fuck I can't fucking believe people are pre-ording fucking CPU's. Before they even see benchmarks. I mean, holy fuck. It doesn't matter how amazing Ryzen turns out to be, pre-ordering a completely new product line with a new architecture is stupid as fuck.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
The whole Ryzen lineup is very exciting. Its batshit crazy how hard they are undercutting Intel. The shit is gon be good for everyone.

I am concerned though that it looks like their entire lineup is leaning toward productivity. Doesn't look like theres any sku tailored for gaming. The single thread performance looks like it could be a little bit disappointing, but we will see.

As an aside, holy fuck I can't fucking believe people are pre-ording fucking CPU's. Before they even see benchmarks. I mean, holy fuck. It doesn't matter how amazing Ryzen turns out to be, pre-ordering a completely new product line with a new architecture is stupid as fuck.

yeah, pre ordering hardware without benchmarks is pretty fucking stupid. at least if its going to be your main or possibly only machine. if you have money to spend and just want it to check it out then sure why not.

anyway, based off early benches revealed today it looks ryzen 7 will fall slightly behind skylake and kabylake i7s in terms of gaming. if i hadnt built a pc last year i would probably have gone with ryzen it actually turns that you can get a 8 core cpu with on par gaming performance for the same price. i was actually a bit bummed that im stuck with the 1151 platform with ryzen looking so promising but as it turns out it looks like just upgrading to even a 6700k will keep me happy. especially since my pc is purely an everyday desktop/gaming rig.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, keep an eye on hardwareswap. Bet you it will get flooded with intel CPUs during the Ryzen frenzy.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Tracking has my preorder in transit to a local hub. I doubt it gets here today.

I did a number of my own benchmarks on the old system with a clean install with the same software versions I would run across the board for some kind of control comparison. Things I use and benefit the purpose of the machine. Either I made a good trade(plus $700) or a step backwards. We'll see soon. It only takes me 5-10 minutes to assemble a machine the way I like it. The old board/cpu/ram took 17 minutes to complete install to final desktop, so I'll factor that as well.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Tracking has my preorder in transit to a local hub. I doubt it gets here today.

I did a number of my own benchmarks on the old system with a clean install with the same software versions I would run across the board for some kind of control comparison. Things I use and benefit the purpose of the machine. Either I made a good trade(plus $700) or a step backwards. We'll see soon. It only takes me 5-10 minutes to assemble a machine the way I like it. The old board/cpu/ram took 17 minutes to complete install to final desktop, so I'll factor that as well.

You better have pretty LEDs, glowing case fans, and glowing water cooling lines in this build or ima throw a shitfit

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
You better have pretty LEDs, glowing case fans, and glowing water cooling lines in this build or ima throw a shitfit

I have trained pigeons to run on a treadmill which powers the +5v rail.