AMD Ryzen price/spec leaks

AussieBear

These came out a few days ago.. anyone excited?

amd-ryzen-leaked-list.JPG

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Aye. Building a Ryzen rig for my office/chillax machine in the next month. I just hope ecc memory prices don't spike upwards. Dunno how many will get built, but I know I'm in it for at least one.

FYI, nearly every AMD CPU support ECC memory. Not something that matters for someone who does most of their computing on 'the cloud' or just a gamer. But for people who develop and produce, ecc is a lifesaver. One of the worst kept secrets to building a true workstation that requires the utmost data integrity on the cheap.

AussieBear

Aye. Building a Ryzen rig for my office/chillax machine in the next month. I just hope ecc memory prices don't spike upwards. Dunno how many will get built, but I know I'm in it for at least one.

FYI, nearly every AMD CPU support ECC memory. Not something that matters for someone who does most of their computing on 'the cloud' or just a gamer. But for people who develop and produce, ecc is a lifesaver. One of the worst kept secrets to building a true workstation that requires the utmost data integrity on the cheap.

you going all out and getting the 1800x?

let us know how that goes..

im still happy with the xeon 6 core 12 thread i got.. it does what it does.. its the most powerful cpu ive ever had and came complete just over the cost of a ryzen 1600x by itself.... that ryzen 5 1600x will probably be the target if i replace this rig in the next couple of years..

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
:dunno: I have a lot of aging machines in use. Really want a Naples release sooner than later, that would be my main rig. <3 AMD, because now I can do a hell of a lot more with a lot less money, and the sad thing is, in 2017, they aren't cutting corners in production or design, in fact, using better methods in many fab areas, and still the prices need to be super low to compete with a dirty player in the market.

The only ding might be PPGA on AM4, but I haven't bent CPU pins since the early 90s(. With how much information is out now and how much better the materials are, you would have to be either sugar-addicted kid level of impatient or too stupid to begin with to make that an issue.
Stupid Socket 3 and that one lonely pin, and stupid choice of super soft gold plated copper. Meh, the one that broke my streak.

Wintermute

Liked Posts:
I am really excited. About time those greedy cunts at Intel get a shiv in the ribs.
ExYjnr.gif

ps...$1000 CPUs are for suckers.

Wintermute

Liked Posts:
I am definitely going balls out for the 1800X. Going to wait for a bit. Maybe even for Ryzen 2.0.

Damn it's a good time. Haven't had this much fun since ATI released their 47XX series and toppled Nvidia.

Love it when the consumer wins.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
they might be good cpus, but i wouldnt be surprised if the are being overhyped, especially when it comes to things that relay on single thread performance. everything amd has released has been in cherry picked multi threaded benches. or gaming at 4k which doesnt tell you anything about the cpu. for gaming im guessing the 6700/7700k will likely remain the best cpu on the market. if you do alot of work thatll take advantage of all the threads theyll probably be a good bargain though. hell, the old fx chips were solid when used for purely multi threaded scenarios. but theyll couldnt compete otherwise so amd had to sell them for cheap. so, the way they are pricing ryzen makes me wonder, they desperately need profit and it seems crazy to undercut intel by so much, if the cpus can actually compete, when an enthusiast willing to pay 500 dollars for a chip would easily pay 650 or even 700 when compared to the intel equivalent that costs over a grand. it all seems a bit too good to be true.

anyway, if i hadnt built a pc last year id have given ryzen a look for sure, but ryzen(then zen) was so far out it wasnt worth waiting. as it is, ill probably be upgrading my 6600k to a 7700k in the next couple of weeks. especially since microcenter is selling it for 300 bucks. they also have the 6700k for 280, but for 20 bucks more why not? i only use my pc for everyday tasks and gaming so that should be more than enough for some time.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Yeah, nobody is saying you need to buy it if your system is already good. I've been waiting for so long, and I'm not an AMD fanboy, 4 of my 6 systems(in use, not just old shit laying around) are intel. But that could change quickly. I just prefer AMD over Intel if all things are equal because I don't like Intel's practices. Would have bought a Skylake a few months ago if it weren't for all the Kernel bugs that affects linux users like me.

I just sold my CPU/board/ram off my office machine. Xeon 2667v3 Haswell, 32gb DDR4(ECC). I'll have enough for 3 faster Ryzen systems that use less power with better overall board specs. But I only need one LOL. Maybe new HTPC as well, but I want to wait for that one.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
These came out a few days ago.. anyone excited?

amd-ryzen-leaked-list.JPG

I'm still running a i7 950 from 2010, and had a 6700K and mobo in hand at Thanksgiving after some great Microcenter discounts, ended up returning them to wait for Ryzen. Very happy I made the decision. I'll get either the 1600X or 1700X depending on how much overclocking headroom they offer. I could see the 1600X being a better OC'er than the 1700X; the 1700X is a down-binned 1800X that couldn't meet top speeds, but the 1600X's will be 1800X's that just had bad cores.

It also looks like Ryzen will offer per-core OCing, so for those concerned about single-threaded performance you could conceivably OC 1-2 cores and leave the rest at stock for the best of both ST and MT (as long as windows knows to assign the heaviest workloads to those OC'd cores).

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Single die CPU Cores don't clock independently. They either clock to scale(together or at ratio of each other) or they can be syncronously disabled, but they still use power and generate heat.

Where you could have different clocks for cores, if a CPU was constructed with multiple dies, and each die represented a single block. This design has been done away with for a number of reasons, mainly because the AMD64_x86 architecture is multilayer compatible for cache and asynchronous computing (which is why we have GPU cores and FPGA/controllers in AMD and Intel 64bit APU/SoCs). All of that is so extraordinarily complex to line up layers with caching for each independent die, it increases costs by factors of 2-8x what it would be with a single large die.

Anyways, single threading should be dead. Software multithreading has been possible since 4x86 CPUs. It's terrible that so many programs still are not compiled correctly or are designed to ignore hardware spectrums. The single thread performance of Ryzen and future Intel CPUs(Intel is going this way as well) is plenty good enough and the few demanding games that aren't good with multithreading will releases patches that improve performance over time.

Last edited:

AussieBear

Yeah, nobody is saying you need to buy it if your system is already good. I've been waiting for so long, and I'm not an AMD fanboy, 4 of my 6 systems(in use, not just old shit laying around) are intel. But that could change quickly. I just prefer AMD over Intel if all things are equal because I don't like Intel's practices. Would have bought a Skylake a few months ago if it weren't for all the Kernel bugs that affects linux users like me.

I just sold my CPU/board/ram off my office machine. Xeon 2667v3 Haswell, 32gb DDR4(ECC). I'll have enough for 3 faster Ryzen systems that use less power with better overall board specs. But I only need one LOL. Maybe new HTPC as well, but I want to wait for that one.

why sale the 2667v3... seems to be a beast still... or did u rid of it while it still holds decent value? i looked at some awhile back.. but they were ridiculously expensive..
well i guess you have the funds to go all out on 1800x eh.. and a super gpu.. or duals/tri/quads? do you get a deduction on your tech?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
microcenter just dropped the price of the 6700k down to 250. for 20 bucks more the 7700k was looking pretty good but im not sure its worth spending 50 bucks more on it. its too bad ryzen wasnt released long ago because a 8 core for the same price would have been worth checking out. amd just took way to long to bring it to market.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Single die CPU Cores don't clock independently. They either clock to scale(together or at ratio of each other) or they can be syncronously disabled, but they still use power and generate heat.

Where you could have different clocks for cores, if a CPU was constructed with multiple dies, and each die represented a single block. This design has been done away with for a number of reasons, mainly because the AMD64_x86 architecture is multilayer compatible for cache and asynchronous computing (which is why we have GPU cores and FPGA/controllers in AMD and Intel 64bit APU/SoCs). All of that is so extraordinarily complex to line up layers with caching for each independent die, it increases costs by factors of 2-8x what it would be with a single large die.

Anyways, single threading should be dead. Software multithreading has been possible since 4x86 CPUs. It's terrible that so many programs still are not compiled correctly or are designed to ignore hardware spectrums. The single thread performance of Ryzen and future Intel CPUs(Intel is going this way as well) is plenty good enough and the few demanding games that aren't good with multithreading will releases patches that improve performance over time.

ZwY05FK.jpg

Sure looks like it's possible to individually clock the cores. Not voltage, of course, but clock speeds. Am I missing something?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
ZwY05FK.jpg

Sure looks like it's possible to individually clock the cores. Not voltage, of course, but clock speeds. Am I missing something?

Yeah, so I need to eat my words a bit. I'm just blown away here. This is, at least the way AMD is doing it, a major breakthrough in semiconductor engineering. When I first read about AMD clocking cores independently, I thought that was just a way to scale workloads or save power. But you're right, it seems as if each CPU core can be adjusted without any trickery.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
maybe im missing something... but hasnt it been possible able to over clock each core individually on intel chips?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Yes, but only to scale of other cores on the same die. Where here, while trivial, in theory a person could take a 3.5GHz Summit Ridge CPU, up the first core to (just throwing out a number) 4.5GHz on core 0(first core), then 600MHz on the rest of the cores to commit to OS background tasks and use it to run some single thread task without loss of stability and possibly even a smaller power/heat profile. The tool they used shows a 3GHz to 6.375GHz spectrum per core (motherboard limitation or just for demonstration, IDK). Intel was able to join multiple core dies from westmere to sandy bridge to cut costs. But with more die layers, async OC had to scale, similar to how RAM multipliers had to scale, and still kind of do. Just having the setting to do it, does not mean it it's a reliable solution. What AMD has here, on paper at least, is a reliable solution for those use cases where the user may want a very specific clock profile for the machines purpose. Or as the point was that started this sub-topic, target core 0 clocks for single threaded applications.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
im not going to lie, if ryzen lives up to the hype and it turns out that if amd didnt drag ass for years and could have just released ryzen a year sooner i could be rocking a legit 8/16 thread machine im going to be a little pissed off.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I agree, there is a lot of hype. If I were in your situation, I would be perfectly happy with the system you bought and built. Odds are, you're not going to notice even if you get another machine. Money best spent in the future, not now.
Like I said, the main reason I'm excited, well, #1, I preordered so at some extent I'm going to defend my purchase(assuming all things at least function as they aught to), but #2, ECC CPU/Boards are stupid expensive when you want to go the Intel route, something I would say 49/50 of the builders don't concern themselves with. In my opinion, ECC should be the only kind of memory and all CPUs and controllers should just support it from now on out. Especially with the amount of encryption that is being used and hardware errata that is just swept under the rug.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
I agree, there is a lot of hype. If I were in your situation, I would be perfectly happy with the system you bought and built. Odds are, you're not going to notice even if you get another machine. Money best spent in the future, not now.
Like I said, the main reason I'm excited, well, #1, I preordered so at some extent I'm going to defend my purchase(assuming all things at least function as they aught to), but #2, ECC CPU/Boards are stupid expensive when you want to go the Intel route, something I would say 49/50 of the builders don't concern themselves with. In my opinion, ECC should be the only kind of memory and all CPUs and controllers should just support it from now on out. Especially with the amount of encryption that is being used and hardware errata that is just swept under the rug.

yeah, im taking some comfort in the fact that i can at least upgrade to a 6700/7700k for cheap and that should suffice for some time, essentially assuring the gpu will be the bottleneck in my system even if i upgrade said gpu.