Prospect News and Rumors

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Pat Mahomes - QB - Red Raiders
An NFC scout says Texas Tech QB Patrick Mahomes "definitely has the tools to be a No. 1."
"He's big and athletic with big-time arm talent," the scout said. "I know his numbers are inflated but he can make all of the throws. I think the kid can play. ... I like him a lot!" The 6-foot-3, 230-pound gunslinger threw for over 11,000 yards with a 93/29 TD/INT ratio across three seasons. Because he's coming from an Air Raid offense, even Mahomes' staunchest supporters see him as a developmental prospect in need of a long-term development plan. But Mahomes does have support, but inside and outside of the NFL. Ian Rapoport told the Setting The Edge podcast recently that several evaluators have pegged Mahomes as their "favorite quarterback" in the NFL Dra

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Deshaun Watson - QB - Tigers
Clemson QB Deshaun Watson plans to do participate in every part of the NFL Combine.
"Run, throw, meetings, everything," Watson said. Watson declined an invitation to the Senior Bowl, and we expect every other healthy quarterback to join him in fully participating in Indianapolis. The quarterbacks will work out on Saturday, March 4.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
John Ross - WR - Huskies
Washington WR John Ross told the MMQB's Emily Kaplan he recently ran a 4.30 laser-timed forty while training for the NFL Combine.
That is fast. "You could argue he’s just an exceptional slot guy," one NFL evaluator told Kaplan. "But smart offenses will figure out ways to incorporate him everywhere." Ross did create big plays from anywhere, including as a kickoff returner. The obvious comparison is to Desean Jackson. Ross' medical history on both knees will be crucial, plus he has a shoulder surgery scheduled, but he is still ridiculously explosive after those injuries and surgeries in 2016.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
DeForest Buckner - DL - 49ers
GM John Lynch considers DeForest Buckner and Arik Armstead strong fits for the 49ers' new 4-3 scheme.
Armstead and Buckner were both brought in as 3-4 defensive ends but Lynch expects both players to thrive under new DC Robert Saleh. "I’m excited to cut them loose," said Lynch. "I think these are guys who fit what we’re going to do very well. We’re excited about it." Lynch expects the Niners to be more aggressive under Saleh after playing in more of a "read-and-react" defense last season.

With Niners going to a 43 I don't think you can rule out Allen as he would play 3-tech and the other two would likely be ends.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Leonard Fournette - RB - Tigers
NFL Media draft analyst Chad Reuter believes that LSU RB Leonard Fournette's showing at the NFL Scouting Combine will be crucial for his draft stock.
"Scouts need to see him at full speed in Indianapolis," Reuter writes. "His medical exams are also important, as team doctors will want to see how his ankle has healed." That nagging ankle injury prevented the 6-foot-1, 230-pounder from appearing in five games this past season. As Reuter notes, he toted the rock 20 or more times in just two contests. Due to the injury concern, Fournette saw his workload drop from 300 carries in 2015 to a mere 129 in 2016

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Corey Davis - WR - Broncos
Pro Football Focus compared Western Michigan WR Corey Davis to Los Angeles Chargers WR Keenan Allen.
"Similarly to Allen’s, Davis’ athletic ability and speed seems limited," explains the PFF analysis team. "However, both receivers make up for this with their route-running, ball skills and ability to separate from defenders in other ways." The outlet believes that the 6-foot-3, 215-pounder "will heavily need to rely on his sharp route-running [early on] as he is unlikely to outmuscle or outrun defensive backs in the early stages of his career." An NFC national scout said at the beginning of the month that he believes that Davis has more potential as a pro than fellow first-round-wideout-to-be Mike Williams.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Jonathan Allen - DL - Crimson Tide
Pro Football Focus compared Alabama DL Jonathan Allen to New York Jets DL Sheldon Richardson.
"Allen has the potential to produce in a similar way [to Richardson]," explains the PFF analysis team, "providing a disruptive, playmaking presence against the run while creating pressure from the interior." The outlet passes along that the 6-foot-3, 291-pound Lombardi Award winner's "best fit on early downs may be as a base defensive end that is capable of setting a strong edge in the run game and creating mismatches against tight ends while working inside in nickel and dime situations." While Texas A&M universe-wrecker Myles Garrett is being viewed as the front-runner to be drafted first overall, Allen could receive some dark horse love from the Browns. Even if he can't ultimately climb the mountain to draft pole position, it would be a surprise if he sat around for long come Draft Day.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Solomon Thomas - DL - Cardinal
Pro Football Focus compared Stanford DL Solomon Thomas to Seattle Seahawks DL Michael Bennett.
"Thomas is more of a run-first player than Bennett, but they both fill a similar role as a base defensive end with the ability to kick inside as pass-rushers," noted the PFF analysis team. This past season, the outlet graded the 6-foot-3, 275-pounder as the No. 1 run-defender among interior defensive linemen. There is some question as to just what position Thomas will play at the NFL level -- NFL Media's Lance Zierlein believes he could see work as an "early down defensive end who moves inside to defensive tackle on passing downs." He could be selected in the first half of the first round come this spring's draft, potentially within the top 10 picks.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Leonard Fournette - RB - Tigers
Pro Football Focus compared LSU RB Leonard Fournette to Los Angeles Rams RB Todd Gurley.
"Like Gurley, Fournette has a size-speed blend that doesn’t come around often. He’s a powerful runner who consistently finishes runs through contact," notes the PFF analysis team. While Fournette turned in an all-world performance in 2015 -- the best in the last three seasons by any back according to Pro Football Focus' metrics -- the outlet notes that during the past campaign he was "at times indecisive and quick to abandon the intended point of attack, and not nearly as effective at making defenders miss." PFF believes the biggest draft question with Fournette is "whether the decrease in his effectiveness [in 2016] was solely due to [a nagging ankle] injury, or if there are other aspects at play."

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Reuben Foster - LB - Crimson Tide
Pro Football Focus compared Alabama LB Reuben Foster to former 49ers LB Patrick Willis.
"[Foster] has the top-end athleticism that Willis had," writes the PFF analysis team, "which allows him to play sideline-to-sideline and cover running backs, tight ends and slot receivers, as well as the strength and physicality needed to consistently take on and beat blocks on inside runs." Unfortunately, the standout Bama 'backer recently underwent surgery on his right shoulder (to repair the rotator cuff) and will not be a testing participant at next week's NFL Scouting Combine. A potential top-10 pick come this spring's draft, PFF views Foster as "among the elite players in this draft class." The outlet passes along that the 6-foot-1, 240-pounder led all FBS linebackers in run-stop percentage this past season.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
DeForest Buckner - DL - 49ers
GM John Lynch considers DeForest Buckner and Arik Armstead strong fits for the 49ers' new 4-3 scheme.
Armstead and Buckner were both brought in as 3-4 defensive ends but Lynch expects both players to thrive under new DC Robert Saleh. "I’m excited to cut them loose," said Lynch. "I think these are guys who fit what we’re going to do very well. We’re excited about it." Lynch expects the Niners to be more aggressive under Saleh after playing in more of a "read-and-react" defense last season.

With Niners going to a 43 I don't think you can rule out Allen as he would play 3-tech and the other two would likely be ends.

I wonder if this takes them out of the running for Myles Garrett? Hmmmmm. Could he fall into our lap at 3 if the Browns pass??

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Budda Baker - DB - Huskies
An NFC area scout said he would "leave [Washington S Budda Baker] as a centerfielder."
"I would leave him as a centerfielder and then roll him down over the slot if you needed too," he said. He's too small to cover tight ends, but he's got great instincts in coverage which is why he should shine as a single-high." NFL Media's Lance Zierlein compares Baker to Bob Sanders. "Baker plays with a competitive desire that leaps off the field when you watch him thanks to elite football character and above-average explosiveness," he wrote. "While he is undersized, he makes up for it with his football instincts and plus play speed. Baker has the talent to become a play-making safety with Pro Bowl potential if he can sustain his health."

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Caleb Brantley - DL - Gators
NFL Media's Lance Zierlein compares Florida DT Caleb Brantley to Aaron Donald.
"Powerful, stout defensive tackle with the quickness to play the three-technique and the power to play the nose," Zierlein wrote. "Brantley has the talent and traits that should appeal to both two-gap and one-gap defenses. While we haven't seen Brantley play in even half of Florida's defensive snaps in a single year, the talent is there to become an early starter and a defensive force up front." Brantley was a second-team All-SEC pick in 2016 after posting 8.5 TFL and 2.5 sacks as a 10-game starter.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Brad Kaaya - QB - Hurricanes
NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah believes Miami QB Brad Kaaya "really struggles when forced off his spot."
That is not a good trait. Jeremiah notes when everything works, Kaaya looks good with a "firm base" and is accurate. As you all know, we care most about quarterbacks when they are pressured. This is not a good sign for the Miami Hurricane.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Pat Mahomes - QB - Red Raiders
In an interview with Mike Florio, Texas Tech QB Pat Mahomes revealed he received a second round grade from the NFL Draft Advisory Board.
Mahomes obviously declared based on that feedback, and there is some buzz that he could be the first quarterback off the board. It is all up to flavors and types in this year's quarterback class, and Ian Rapoport noted some in the NFL view Mahomes as the top prospect at his position. Mahomes will be a second round selection at the latest.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Tyus Bowser - LB - Cougars
An AFC Scouting Director predicts Houston OLB Tyus Bowser will start early in the NFL.
"His tape from last year and this year are way different," he said. "He's getting better. There will be some teams who miss him because their scouts are too lazy to keep an open mind that they will have written him off. He will be an early NFL starter. Watch." This isn't the first time we've heard an anonymous scout praise Bowser recently. An NFC general manager predicted after the Senior Bowl that Bowser will go in Round 3. "I've been watching him out here (at Senior Bowl practices) and he is really athletic and really quick off the snap in these one-on-ones. If I had to guess a round without watching tape, I would say third based on what I've seen out here," he said. NFL Media's Lance Zierlein compares Bowser to Eli Harold, writing: "Bowser lacks production, but his explosive characteristics off the edge will push him up the draft board and give him a chance to play well above where some scouts might project him."

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Carlos Henderson - WR - Bulldogs
Rotoworld's Josh Norris ranks Louisiana Tech's Carlos Henderson as the No. 3 WR in the 2017 class.
Western Michigan's Corey Davis and Clemson's Mike Williams rank as the top two, but few place Henderson at three. The Bulldog is the best receiver in this class after the catch in terms of explosion and vision. He creates big plays in that area of the field. In fact, Matt Harmon charted Henderson breaking two-plus tackles 39% of the time when the opportunity presented itself. Henderson also plays bigger than his 5-foot-11 size. We are excited for his NFL Combine.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Carlos Henderson - WR - Bulldogs
Rotoworld's Josh Norris ranks Louisiana Tech's Carlos Henderson as the No. 3 WR in the 2017 class.
Western Michigan's Corey Davis and Clemson's Mike Williams rank as the top two, but few place Henderson at three. The Bulldog is the best receiver in this class after the catch in terms of explosion and vision. He creates big plays in that area of the field. In fact, Matt Harmon charted Henderson breaking two-plus tackles 39% of the time when the opportunity presented itself. Henderson also plays bigger than his 5-foot-11 size. We are excited for his NFL Combine.

Mentioned him in the sleeper thread. Rumor is he'll run in the 4.3s. And I can see on tape that he can vertical over 40". I wouldn't hate him as the 36th pick.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Brad Kaaya - QB - Hurricanes
NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah believes Miami QB Brad Kaaya "really struggles when forced off his spot."
That is not a good trait. Jeremiah notes when everything works, Kaaya looks good with a "firm base" and is accurate. As you all know, we care most about quarterbacks when they are pressured. This is not a good sign for the Miami Hurricane.

Lies.

He is Peyton Manning.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Mentioned him in the sleeper thread. Rumor is he'll run in the 4.3s. And I can see on tape that he can vertical over 40". I wouldn't hate him as the 36th pick.

We desperately need some speed. Especially if we draft Kizer.